banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do we have "legal" rights to practice instruments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do we have "legal" rights to practice instruments?

If I can hear my neighbors, I consider it too loud. Likewise, I don't expect them to put up with my noise, so I keep it down. Use a little common courtesy.
    This machine kills fascists

Comment

Originally posted by Lee
      The problem is, that when something gets on your nerves - you become hyper sensitive to it. You actually start listening for it. The actual volume becomes irrelevant - it's whether you can hear it or not that matters.
      Dogs barking piss me right off.

Lee
      Exactly.
      GMP Pawnshop Deluxe - Custom Custom Bridge, 59n

Parker Fly, Ruby Red, 1996 H/H/P

Parker Nitefly SSH

THD Univalve with Avatar Cab

Bad Cat Mini Cat

Vox Valvetronix AD-60 1x12

"Thanks for comin out and...
      KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

Originally posted by Al.C
        I don't want to get flamed for sounding like an old fart BUT. You have the right to practice but you don't have the right to force your neighbor to listen to it. Living in multi-family housing really does put a restriction on your volume. Now I'm not sure what rig your are using but you say you don't have the volume over 3. Most of the amps I have owned have been VERY loud at 3 - my guess is you are over 100 db. Solutions, purchase an attenuator, leave the amp for the rehearsal hall and play through a pod or one of the other modelling devices that can get you the tone you want but at a neighbor friendly volume. I spent 7 years living in apartments and during that time never turned up - it was a problem but I got along great with the neighbors. I now own a house on an acre but even now I still am concerned about bothering the neighbors. I have been recording some stuff that really requires fairly loud volume as I want to get some feedback. I just spent the weekend making sound baffles to fit into the windows to keep the outside sound to a minimum. Another solution is to restrict your loud playing to times when your neighbor is out. Put yourself in his spot, he works all week and tries to spend his Sunday off watching some sports on TV and he probably can't even hear the TV when you start up. Sorry to sound like an old fart but life is really about getting along with others.
        Right there with you. My old 5150 on three could easily be heard down the block. You gotta respect the noise issue, to most people I am sure it is awful. 90 to 100 DB is akin to a football stadium crowd. Turn down, soundproof or get a POD. Save the noise for a rehearsal space.

As far as laws go, if enough complaints come in you may get a pretty hefty fine, here in Minneapolis I believe it is 750.00 or somewhere around there. You have all the freedom to practice that you want, but doing it loudly? The laws are not on your side.
        Last edited by kevlar3000; 04-26-2004, 01:11 PM.
        ]
        FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

My neibour and I have an arraingment, seeing as we both have loud-ass stereos, but since I live in a duplex (two houses that share a middle wall) I use an attenuator to keep my practicing reasonably quite.

I can still crank it once in a while, but it makes a mess when all my sh*t falls on the floor.

My suggestion is to talk to him and work out a comprimise.
          || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

I would let him know the dogs are an annoyance from time to time, and that you'd like him to give you a time slot that would be ideal for both schedules so you can rock out when he's not home.

Comment

Here's the deal the way I see it. If you are renting excessive noise may violate your lease. Excessive noise qualifies as anything that causes your lower neighbor to repeatedly call the landlord. If he is renting, boarding dogs is most likely lease violation as well.

If you own you can most likely do what you like until the police get involved and they, like you landlord (if you have one) will only want the problem to go away. That translates into you not playing at any level that bothers your neighbor.

Work out a deal with this guy because regardless of your "rights", feuding with neighbors sucks. I long ago learned that single family dwellings, industrial lofts and living in the sticks is the only way to play at level. I currently own a house in a city type neighborhood and even though none of my neighbors complain and many dig the tunes I still don't play past ten at level out of consideration.

I'm thinking a Pod 2.x and a set of headphones will save you alot of grief. Telling the neighbor to kiss your behind will only make matters worse. I learned that lesson the hard way.
              www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
              www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
              http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

I've gone through something similar - one neighbor never complained (and I asked more than once if my playing ever bothered them) they sold, moved, the next neighbor complained constantly - even when I plug my guitar through my headphone amp and run it through some small powered speakers. They said they could hear it through my bedroom window. I relocated my practice area to the far side of my house and I keep the window shut - I've asked them if they can still hear me practicing, they've said no and now we're all happy. Unfortunately your upstairs so finding a less obtrusive place to practice won't be as easy but give it a try - also get your amp up off the ground, that will help reduce some of the bass and high frequency sounds from penetrating through the walls. It sucks to have to deal with this but there are ways to improve the situation. Also, pick up an attenuator - I bought a used Dr. Z airbrake for less than two bills - works great - no loss of tone and I can practice with good overdrive sounds with the volume at normal talking volumes.

Comment

Well, since he's got this dog-gig going on.
                  And you say sometimes you hear them, but usually their OK.

Just say "OH YEAH? THOSE F**KING DOGS OF YOURS WOKE ME AT 3AM THE OTHER DAY?"
                  When he says "What Day?"
                  Say "I don't F**KING KNOW! WTF LOOKS AT THE DATE AT 3AM???"

A level of 3 on a dual recto like yours is quite a bit of volume.

Comment

Buy your own house.... play as loud as you want..
                    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Oh yeah!! Im sure yous people that live in the country can realate to the freedom of practising at full volume in the house with no-one to complain...
                      Marshall JVM 410C
                      Mesa Boogie DC-3
                      ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
                      1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
                      2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
                      2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
                      1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
                      2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
                      1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Some good advise and some will get ya nowhere or in trouble. I own my own house. Over a year ago, my son's band was practicing in our garage...12 noon. Cops come said someone complained of the 'noise'. I told the boys, close the garage door, turn down and I'll bring some fans in. I sat in on a song or two and it was not loud. Cops came again, said same caller complained. I went outside with the cop, told the boys to start playing so I could hear from outside with the cop. A muffled sound, like a home stereo, I ask the cop...is that loud. He said no. It's freakin' 12 noon on a Saturday. Weedwhackers make more noise. I told him, I'll have the boys drop even lower and hope the Ahole does'nt complain. The boys are playing soft, and my son, the drummer is pissed he can't hit the drums like he's used to... I mean, they are playing rock...not jazz. I tell him I don't want the cops back so better get used to it. I go in the house, and 10 minutes later, the cop comes back...with his sarge this time. He's almost embarrassed cause we're at my front door, and the band is still going, and it's not loud at all. BUT, he said they have to respond to EVERY complaint. The Ahole had called again. He said he HAD to write me up, taking information, and told me we had to shut down or his next visit will be to take me in. I asked about my rights to have the kids play music in my house, he said, I do have that right...as much as someone down the street to complain about it...it's blatant harassement. But nothing I could do about it...it came from an 'anonymous caller'. Best to work something out or if he calls the cops, you'll have to comply anyway. In your case of living next to this guy, headphones may be the only way to go. Good luck.
                        Last edited by butnut; 04-26-2004, 05:26 PM.

Gibson KS 336, LP Standard, Special and Customs
                        Bogner, Orange, Tech 21 and Fender amps
                        Celestion speakers
                        Duncan, Bare Knuckle, WCR and Gibson pups
                        Too many pedals....

Comment

I say play loud and proud during the day only! night time keep it down. There s no reason why they shoudl complain during the day, only at night when your amp becomes the loudest thing on the block.
                          Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

Originally posted by Grandor
                            Well, since he's got this dog-gig going on.
                            And you say sometimes you hear them, but usually their OK.

Just say "OH YEAH? THOSE F**KING DOGS OF YOURS WOKE ME AT 3AM THE OTHER DAY?"
                            When he says "What Day?"
                            Say "I don't F**KING KNOW! WTF LOOKS AT THE DATE AT 3AM???"

A level of 3 on a dual recto like yours is quite a bit of volume.
                            dude .. maybe because its 4 am or something but that was friggin halarious ....
                            see the creation of this world
                            see it all reduced to ash
                            in the blink of a sunken eye
                            i see one hundred winters pass
                            my blessing, my curse
                            perpetually i'm damned to earth
                            of a soul i am bereft
                            forever dying to be dead - Black Dahlia Murders

Comment

My band was practicing in my friends garage once.....we had the door open cause it was so hot that day. We started noticing something strange on the street. We saw a cop car go by....then another......then one comes back the other way again...then the other follows. Then 5 min later they pull in the drive...and tell us to stop playing when it was 1:00 P.M. We stopped playing that day...next week we play again, but with the door shut. This old guy comes over and starts banging on the door like crazy and starts cussing us out. Tells us to stop all of our racket(Music) that we are making or he will have us arrested. 5 min later we see the cops again...going back and forth across the street. We call the cops and wanted to talk about what the laws are for this situation. They came and told us it is under Disturbing the Peace....no matter what time of day it is. The other neighbors loved to hear us play..that is the funny thing. So the moral of the story is....if you are playing loud music and neighbors can hear it ....and it bothers them. It is disturbing the peace...and sadly it is a law. I guess i will stop playing my 5150 half-stack in my room now.......
                              Epiphone Les Paul-100 >Neck/59 Bridge/DD
                              Epiphone Les Paul-Studio >Bridge/JB
                              OLP 4-String Bass> Active Basslines Pup
                              Peavey 5150 Head and 5150 Slant Cab
                              Boss-DD-3~PH-2~BF-2~TR-2
                              Dunlop 535Q Wah~Ernie Ball Volume~Fender PT-10

Phil 4:13
                              I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

~ That verse has helped me make it through everyday of my life. Remember.. God is always there and always will be. He has and always will love you.

Comment

Sound-proofing. If the only time you really want to crank it up its to get a decent recording sound, can't you just put a soundproof cabinet around the amp? Then you can crank up, close the doors, and record away.

I'm lucky in that my neighbours have never really complained about noise - but the neighbour on one side is almost deaf. All the same, I play at sensible times of the day, and I don't often go up to 3.

Comment

Working...
                                X