banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do we have "legal" rights to practice instruments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do we have "legal" rights to practice instruments?

I'm not one who keeps up with politics or individuals rights... which is bad but what can I say. Anyway, I was wondering if the law allows one to practice their instrument of choice for an alloted time per day? It's probably a state/town decided thing? Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

I just moved into this 2-family home. Basically it's a large house built for 2 separate families; separate entrances, etc. Anyway, my downstairs neighbor (lives with his girlfriend... no kids) is a bit of a prick. He's complained a couple of times before when I was jamming (alone) after work. But I feel he crossed the line when he complained on a Sunday afternoon. I mean does he expect me never to play? I know I got a pretty loud rig but I'm not even above 3 on the master volume. It's not even loud enough to get a good tone for recording... which is basically out of the question where I am. So I'm frustrated as hell ....

Any thoughts....
    1978 Lefty Gibson Les Paul Custom (C5 bridge, Jazz neck) with Jimmy Page wiring
    1996 Lefty Fender Jazzmaster (w/ SD Antiquity IIs)
    2003 Lefty Taylor 414RCE (Rosewood Limited Edition with Expression System)
    Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier 3-channel through Marshall 1960A cabinet via THD HotPlate
    Effects: Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah, Fulltone DejaVibe, Maxon Rotary Phaser (PH-350), Boss DD6, Boss RC20 LoopStation, BBE Sonic Stomp

Re: Do we have "legal" rights to practice instruments?

I know I may be wrong, but if I was you, I'd tell him to go screw. How much quieter are you supposed to be? Either that or you could get to talking about it, see if you can get him to see your point of view, maybe that would change things.
    Ibanez RG1570: stock
    Squier Strat: stock

Next on the list: an amp that isn't crap!

Comment

Hey kids makes more noise than guitars by a long shot...tell him to get stuffed in a polite way!!!
      Or get him some mufflers for his sensitive ears

Comment

Take up bagpipes and violin. He'll be begging you to play guitar in no time.

Failing that... http://www.mailpoop.com/
        -Alex

*Proud Owner and Player of Guage guitars, Warmoth guitars, and Orange amps*

Originally posted by HamerPlyr
        I'm already wearing the costume, and Fredericks of Hollywood on the corset and also on the panties, which, of course, have the "convenience crotch".

Comment

Don't won't to be a spoilsport but should this not be in the Sound Off Topic Room rather than here?

Can this be moved by the admins?
          Normans Guitars

Comment

unless you're playing after 10 at night then the dude's really got no legal right to give you ****..it could be a common courtesy thing but you said you only play on master volume of 3...which shouldn't be too bad..unless you have some kinda monster 600 watt rig runnin' that we dont' know about =D sounds like you have wafer thin walls!
            Splawn QR
            Splawn 4x12 w/greenbacks
            Splawn 2x12 w/ CL80s
            George Lynch Skulls n' Snakes Sig ESP w/JB trembucker

My Cover Band
            My Gear Pix
            My SPLAWN Clips
            My SPLAWN Vids/Homepage

Comment

I don't want to get flamed for sounding like an old fart BUT. You have the right to practice but you don't have the right to force your neighbor to listen to it. Living in multi-family housing really does put a restriction on your volume. Now I'm not sure what rig your are using but you say you don't have the volume over 3. Most of the amps I have owned have been VERY loud at 3 - my guess is you are over 100 db. Solutions, purchase an attenuator, leave the amp for the rehearsal hall and play through a pod or one of the other modelling devices that can get you the tone you want but at a neighbor friendly volume. I spent 7 years living in apartments and during that time never turned up - it was a problem but I got along great with the neighbors. I now own a house on an acre but even now I still am concerned about bothering the neighbors. I have been recording some stuff that really requires fairly loud volume as I want to get some feedback. I just spent the weekend making sound baffles to fit into the windows to keep the outside sound to a minimum. Another solution is to restrict your loud playing to times when your neighbor is out. Put yourself in his spot, he works all week and tries to spend his Sunday off watching some sports on TV and he probably can't even hear the TV when you start up. Sorry to sound like an old fart but life is really about getting along with others.

Comment

i have a 30watt and at 3, it bothers our suitemates in the dorm as well as the guy across the hall haha.

It sucks, but i put forth common courtesy before my own pleasure. Noise pollution sucks, so i only turn my amp up whenever the guys in the hall play golf outside our door at 4am

Perhaps you can do the same haha, or consider a headphone alternative

Comment

Did I mention....

That my downstairs neighbor is a professional dog walker!!! He not only walks them but he boards them too. They're not too loud but on occasion I hear them. He gets up at 5am and they've woken me on a couple of occasions. But I'm not the kind of guy that gets bothered by that.

So this past Sunday he came banging on my door. I had a friend over playing through his Fender Princeton. So my neighbor offered to let me hear what it sounded like in his place.... and I got to tell you.... it totally wasn't that bad! It basically sounded like a stereo on moderate volume. If he were watching TV or something he could totally hear it without him having to crank. So the bottom line is I think that I've compromised by not playing after 8.... now he needs to compromise by not *****ing on weekend afternoons!!!

Does anyone hear me or do I need to crank it up a little :fing25:
                  1978 Lefty Gibson Les Paul Custom (C5 bridge, Jazz neck) with Jimmy Page wiring
                  1996 Lefty Fender Jazzmaster (w/ SD Antiquity IIs)
                  2003 Lefty Taylor 414RCE (Rosewood Limited Edition with Expression System)
                  Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier 3-channel through Marshall 1960A cabinet via THD HotPlate
                  Effects: Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah, Fulltone DejaVibe, Maxon Rotary Phaser (PH-350), Boss DD6, Boss RC20 LoopStation, BBE Sonic Stomp

Comment

It will more than likely fall under "Disturbing the Peace" if there isn't a noise ordinance. If you don't want the cops beating on your door, you might wanna buy an attenuator, headphones....small "PRACTICE AMP".........

It sucks, but..........................

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                    Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                    FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

i think pretty much, the cops can't really do anything (except ask you to 'hold it down') until 10pm.
                      Originally posted by krankguitarist
                      And I *really* wouldn't lop Affliction and Ed Hardy in the same category. Affliction stuff can have a sense of subtlety to it.

Comment

3 is pretty loud for an apartment type setting, especially if you have lots of gain dialed in.

For the last five years I haven't gone above 1 at my place on 30 watt solid state amp. None of my neigbors have ever asked me to turn it down. I just never wanted it to come to that. Once they ask, they'll always be monitoring you.

I just bought a Vox Valvtronix modeling amp that allows you to select 1,15,30,60 watt settings. On the 1 watt setting you can get the master volume up to 7 and get some good feedback in the apartment. It has a tube preamp so for me it's sweet enough. They also have a 15 watt modeling amp for like $179. They also make the tonelab that would be good with headphones. Try one with a 30 day money back type deal.
                        GMP Pawnshop Deluxe - Custom Custom Bridge, 59n

Parker Fly, Ruby Red, 1996 H/H/P

Parker Nitefly SSH

THD Univalve with Avatar Cab

Bad Cat Mini Cat

Vox Valvetronix AD-60 1x12

"Thanks for comin out and...
                        KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

maybe some sorta cheapy soundproofing.... dont know if it works (am planning to try it myself), but covering the walls in eggboxes is meant to help, although u probably dont want to do that to you house. (although im a teenager playing in my room so i don't care what it looks like), dont suppose anyone here has soundproofing experience to help you out?

Comment

No way I'd play my Soldano at "3" in my condo....that's just too loud for the neighbors. I play thru a Digitech GNX run thru my computer speakers as an alternative.

Your best bet is to work out a time table (time of day and amount of time) that would be acceptable for you both.
                            PRS McCarty Korina loaded w/Godwoods
                            PRS Custom 22 loaded w/Dragon IIs
                            GJ2 Shredder loaded w/Habaneros
                            Rivera Knucklehead 55 Reverb/Blackstar HT-1/VHT Special Ultra 6
                            Avatar 2X12 loaded with V30 & G12H30
                            various pedals

Comment

If you do something like this, please make sure you use something that's not extremely flammable. Foam or rubber can burn really quick if it gets started. Try burning a piece outside in a safe place and see how quickly it goes up before using it.

Originally posted by 570ex
                              maybe some sorta cheapy soundproofing.... dont know if it works (am planning to try it myself), but covering the walls in eggboxes is meant to help, although u probably dont want to do that to you house. (although im a teenager playing in my room so i don't care what it looks like), dont suppose anyone here has soundproofing experience to help you out?
                              GMP Pawnshop Deluxe - Custom Custom Bridge, 59n

Parker Fly, Ruby Red, 1996 H/H/P

Parker Nitefly SSH

THD Univalve with Avatar Cab

Bad Cat Mini Cat

Vox Valvetronix AD-60 1x12

"Thanks for comin out and...
                              KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

Working...
                              X