X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Results from my LP mods (pics)

Originally posted by dystrust
    Jay,
    I've been trying to say this for over a month now (since I modded mine) switching from the Nashville Tune-o-matic to an ABR-1 bridge improves the tone substantially more than changing the tailpiece. I've done both mods on my '01 Standard and I could hardly notice the change from swapping the tailpiece. On the other hand, the difference between the two bridges was like night and day. You can get adapter bushings to convert from a Nashville TOM to a Gibson ABR-1 from Kenny at Solid Body Guitar (www.solidbodyguitar.com) or from Stew Mac.

Thanks for the heads up...
    Low wattage rocks!
    Bumbox Lead 1
    Orange Tiny Terror
    Vox 120VTH
    ----------------------
    Gibson LP Standard - SG Supreme
    Agile LP-2500 - Jackson JSX-94

Comment

I couldn't tell a tonal difference between the two ABR bridges. I would ask Kenny as he's an even more anal tone-nazi than I am.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

The RS upgrade kit is the single best $50 you can spend on your LP, in my opinion. I have in both of mine now and couldn't be happier (haven't got it in my 77 GT, still wondering about leaving it stock...). As the first poster said, usability of the neck pup and the volume and tone controls increase dramatically...

For $50 it is a no-brainer...
        'No matter how hot and sexy any woman looks, some guy, somewhere, is tired of putting up with her sh#t..'

Comment

Originally posted by JfromHouston
          Bob: Yes, they replaced the poles. Man am I glad you said something. I didnt even check to see if when they removed the poles if finish came with it. Check out the pic back to the luthier....
          The pic's a bit blurry, but it looks as though the finish came off where it was applied over the stud anchors. That's not unusual, as the paint doesn't stick to metal like it does wood. Removing the anchors or just unscrewing the lugs will sometimes lift that ring of finish off the anchor. If that's what we're looking at, it's a normal occurance and I wouldn't give your tech any grief over it.

Comment

So im a little confused whate xactly does the RS kit do? Is it just the tail piece? for a lighter wieght? I dunno man id be idna ticked aboutt he finsih especially cuz its a 3000$ and up guitar he just nicked. He should have at least told you about it. Common courtisy and professional like.
            Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

Anyone want information on the RS kit, review, discussions etc, go to the Les Paul Forum - we've been debating it there for months...
              'No matter how hot and sexy any woman looks, some guy, somewhere, is tired of putting up with her sh#t..'

Comment

Okie dokie, I looked at some old Tele schematics and I see whats going on now. The feed line from the volume pots is obscured by the cap for the most part and thats the part I was missing.

Cool.
                www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
                www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
                http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Originally posted by strat_master
                  So im a little confused whate xactly does the RS kit do? Is it just the tail piece? for a lighter wieght? I dunno man id be idna ticked aboutt he finsih especially cuz its a 3000$ and up guitar he just nicked. He should have at least told you about it. Common courtisy and professional like.

The RS kit is strictly a wiring, pot and cap upgrade.

After researching the finish issue I have found it is common occurance and my luthier didn't do it.

Duncan, the LPF is where I got all the ideas for the mods. I lurk there daily and post on occasion. Great resource for LP owners/fans.

J
                  Low wattage rocks!
                  Bumbox Lead 1
                  Orange Tiny Terror
                  Vox 120VTH
                  ----------------------
                  Gibson LP Standard - SG Supreme
                  Agile LP-2500 - Jackson JSX-94

Comment

Working...
                  X