Warmoth Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warmoth Question

I'm a huge Fender fan (I play bass and more specifically, P-basses) but what I really want is an ebony fretboard. I don't think Fender offers any on production models, so I'm thinking about getting a "project" body and attatching a Warmoth neck, complete with desired fingerboard, to it. Is this process as easy as it looks or are there hidden pitfalls?

I began looking around Warmoth's site and they have everything I would need to create my own awesome bass.... not just the neck. Should I stick to more humble aspirations, or can anyone recommend creating their own instrument? How difficult is hardware installation and finishing? Is it possible to pay extra and have finishing done by the people at Warmoth?

Assuming I do decide to ONLY get a new neck.... can I get a custom headstock shape? They have a "paddleboard" option, but cutting a head myself isn't something I would look forward to.

Thanks!
    It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
    - David St. Hubbins

Re: Warmoth Question

Warmoth parts are generally considered to be of excellent quality. I found out from putting my own guitar together from pre-made parts, that it definitely helps to have a VERY good idea of what you want to do, first.

So, do your homework, get EVERYTHING figured out in advance, and then stick to the plan! There are lotsof little parts that go into making a guitar, and if you already know what bridge + pups you want to have put in, have it pre-routed. Same with the neck.

Then you will just have to put on the hardware and solder everything up. I made diagrams and charts for everything, had friends walk me thru what to solder where, and it worked out great. I DO have extensive soldering experience, tho. If you're timid about it, you can have a tech do it, but that can get expensive and takes away some of the DYI joy.

Expect to pay about $700 for the finished product, but you will have a TOTALLY custom guitar! Hope you find this helpful!
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

another alternative is G & L ...

I'm pretty sure you can custom order an ebony neck

actually, you can get G & L's with several options, without automatically making it a "Custom Shop" order
      "music heals"
      facebook

Comment

If you mail in an actual size drawing of the custom headstock, Warmoth will use it as the template and cut that custom shape for $45. You'll need to make sure that you have the tuning machine holes located on the drawing as well.

S
        Gregg -
        Warmoth Guitar Products

Comment

Try USA Custom guitars, Warmoth business return policy sucks biig time
          Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
          When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
          Red Devils - 1% all the way!
          Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
          Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

I haven't had to use Warmoth's return policy, but I agree that you should try USA Customs - they seem easy to work with, and give me the impression they're more adept at programming that CNC machine
            "music heals"
            facebook

Comment

My bass player uses Warmoth necks w/t Ebony boards on all his
              Basses. He feels that the ebony is more ridged and helps keep the neck straight.
              http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Slapping together a guitar from Warmoth parts is really easy (assuming you know how to set up a guitar). Most everything is predrill. The only thing you need to drill yourself are the mounting holes for plates, pickguards, and such (neck is pre-drilled). Soldering can be a bit of a pain the first time, but if you stick with a simple design, it shouldn't be too bad.

I highly recommend against finishing the body yourself. It takes a long time (weeks), and it's very easy to screw it up to the point where you have to start over. If you decided to go that route, I suggest trying your finishing skills on some scrap wood before you even order the body. Only then can you decide whether you really want to finish it yourself.

Personally, I recomend having Warmoth do the finishing.
                This machine kills fascists

Comment

one other thing - You'll need to install a nut on that warmoth neck. If you've never cut a nut before, have a guitar tech do it for you... otherwise, get youself some nut files, and a bunch of nuts, and keep at it untill you make one that isn't screwed up. You *can* however, buy pre-cut nuts, but i've never used them, so i don't have any experiance with them.
                  Teenagers can't sing the Blues. They ain't fixin' to die yet. Adults sing the Blues. In Blues, "adulthood" means being old enough to get the electric chair if you shoot a man in Memphis.

Comment

Warmoth can install and slot a white corian nut for $15 or a black graphite nut for $20. The gage they slot the nuts for is 10-46. I got a white corian nut done on my Warmoth neck and I didn't have to make any adjustments to it which suprised me.

S
                    Gregg -
                    Warmoth Guitar Products

Comment

Thanks, everybody!
                      It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
                      - David St. Hubbins

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
                        they're more adept at programming that CNC machine
                        lol.. they've gotta pay for the outside help to come in at Warmoth. (appearantly about $35 per programming)
                        -Alex

*Proud Owner and Player of Guage guitars, Warmoth guitars, and Orange amps*

Originally posted by HamerPlyr
                        I'm already wearing the costume, and Fredericks of Hollywood on the corset and also on the panties, which, of course, have the "convenience crotch".

Comment

I think that warmoth should have all of the stuff you will need for ur project. I just ordered an entire guitar from them, it shoule be here in about a week. If u have any questions I would definatly call warmoth, they are VERY helpful down there. one of the BIG bonuses from ordering from them is the shipping charge. I live in Alaska, and i am always slammed on shipping, but they shipped my entire guitar to a POBox in Alaska for 15$!!!!!!!! that is way cool. good luck!
                          my gear: '80s fender bullet (tele style)
                          fender dg20ce acoustic
                          peavey blazer 15 watt
                          line 6 pod 2.3 and floorboard
                          Atomic Reactor 112
                          Warmoth double fat strat w/ SD Jb bridge and Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell

Comment

Working...
                          X