banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stainless steel frets - how do they sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless steel frets - how do they sound?

I'm putting together a Tele and was considering SS frets for the neck. Now, a little logic says that the fret can contribute to the sound, since it's the other "tiepoint" for the string, except for open string notes. So, it would seem that most notes on the guitar would be affected by the fret and not the nut. Stainless is a good bit harder than nickel, so I imagine that a SS fret would be brighter (since harder materials make for brighter sounds). But, are they harsh? Too bright for a Tele (which is a little bright anyway?) Or would they really bring out the Tele twang? Let me know what experiences you've had with SS frets! Thanks!

Re: Stainless steel frets - how do they sound?

Well personally I dislike SS frets alot....had one of my old strats refretted with those, just to have a guitar that did not wear out so fast
    It lasted 30 min or so....then I had it redone with nickel frets again.....the poor guy looked kinda tired when he had to take it home again.
    Awful ding ding sound, no warmth to talk about, no body, no nothing I liked about my guitar before...the attack was swift and severe.....nah I don't like it

Comment

I agree, stainless steel frets will wear very slowly. The down side is they are extremley bright! In a telecaster, that could be diasterous!!
      "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I like them, and they sound fine to me. On the other hand, I haven't done a back-to-back comparison on the same guitar.
        This machine kills fascists

Comment

from USA Customs' site:

A note from Tommy about stainless steel frets (in case you were wondering)...
          "Quite honestly they look great and they wear great, but I am a little old fashioned and think they will affect the overall tone of the instrument in a bright way - kind of like a big truss rod. Some things are just magical and shouldn't be messed with. We really feel they would change the tone of the parts we so carefully make for you - we have formulas that we know work well for parts. Sometimes it's scary to mess with a good formula!"
          "music heals"
          facebook

Comment

Thanks guys! Sounds like the SS frets wouldn't be a good match for this project. The neck is rosewood with an ebony fingerboard, so bright sounding frets would indeed be disastrous! Thanks again!

Comment

See, I dunno guys! I really love these srv necks I've got with the BIG SS frets. They dont sound at all bright to me but maybe its the Pau Ferro boards that keep em from being bright.

Jim
              MIM Super Strat w/ Warmoth SRV Neck, Antiq.Tex. Hot N, Antiq. Tex. Hot M, Twangbanger Br

Blues Jr (Bill M modded) Vox Tonelab [/SIZE]

Comment

According to John Suhr, they provide little, if any, sonic difference.(I would get a quote, but his message board isn't up right now) That is why he has them as an option. I think it is really up to the individual. People hear things differently, as you can tell when you ask a group of people what they think about a particular tone wood. I am a huge fan of SS frets, and I plan to have them on all of my guitars.

Comment

Well I had a tele with all brass frets....most warm and nice sounding guitar I ever had....
                  An old Tokai with a awesome rosewood neck...sadly it dissapeared in my old rehearsal room back in Copenhagen.....
                  You can probally build around it with different woods....but I do not like SS frets....

Comment

Working...
                  X