X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metalblaze
    replied
    Re: best wood for crunch

That's what I'm going to do soon but with the Custom.
    ESP LTD MH-400.
    I like tight crunch. I believe the heavy mahogany with the clarity of maple top would do it. I've been told that ash is very tight but can't deliver a huge heavy sound because it's light. I never heard it though.

Leave a comment:

• Distollica
    replied

so if i read all your posts, a mahogany one with maple top one would be excelent with a DD to have a lot of crunch?

Leave a comment:

• BornToShred
    replied

Maple gives good crunch. Jackson (and many other) guitars have a maple thru-neck, and they crunch like hell. The downside being some brittleness/icepicky-ness in the tone.

Ash might give nice crunch too.

Leave a comment:

• Stirt
    replied

I just took a Duncan Distortion out of basswood strat and put it into an alder Warmoth VW body. It went to a thinner brighter tone. I would think korina or mahogany would be good for this pickup and provide the low end to couple with the high gain brightness that the pickup naturally has.

S

Leave a comment:

• theboatcandream
    replied

Wouldn't korina be better than mahogany with a maple cap? The purpose of the maple cap is to add clarity to the otherwise muddy mahogany, the mahogany adds depth and warmth to the sound. Korina in all my experience is like mahogany only without the mud. As soon as I get the money, I'm getting an all korina carved top les paul body from Warmoth.

Leave a comment:

• Xeromus
    replied

mahogany with maple cap

Leave a comment:

• Pandemonium
    replied

Mahogany.

Leave a comment:

• fusion101
    replied

maple will give u crunch because its bright as hell, alder is a vintage sounding, and if u want the best all around MOFO****in korina.

Leave a comment:

• Blueline
    replied

MAHOGANY - if someone whom i'm building a guitar for wants it to crunch - mahogany is the way to go. for a little something more, I'd go Korina (its a tad more "musical")

hope that helps

Leave a comment:

• theboatcandream
    replied

korina

Leave a comment:

• Vasshu the humanoid typhoon
    replied

Crunch-wood.
    Da best ever

Leave a comment:

• Neeradj
    replied

I assume you like the brighter sounds in guitars? I think Maple has an excellent crunch, the downside however is that you get an overly bright sound with it too, though a very natural polished one. You should try the Custom with Maple for that excellent blend of crunch and leads. But since you're a Distortion fan, I think Alder or Poplar are better suited for the DD. Like Screamingdaisy said, it really does depend on the rest of the axe for it to sound that crunchy. I'd suggest fooling around with your amp settings and some Distortion effects to get that perfect crunch

Leave a comment:

• RushOfBlood
    replied

my dad has one in a really old strat body. it's reaallly heavy, it's probably ash. anyway, it sounds really good in there

Leave a comment:

• Distollica
    replied

lol actually i find the alder more crunchier .
    i have never use one in a mahogany one but this is what papa roach does and i do love their sound

Leave a comment:

• some_dude
    replied

Your the one with a DD in each one, what wood sounds crunchier to you?

My basswood Strat has more crunch than my alder Strat. But they also have different bridges, nut, scale length, and pickups....

...so it's not really a fair comparison.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X