banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

small power amp, MESA or MARSHALL or something else...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small power amp, MESA or MARSHALL or something else...

Hi.
    I'm running my rig in stereo.
    I'm considering getting a small power amp for home practicing only.
    I think a 20W+20W amp will be more then enough for that job.
    It's going to be either a MESA/BOOGIE 20/20 or a MARSHALL EL84 20/20.
    The speakers are 2 cabinets loaded with 1 unit celestion gold back 100W 16Ω in each cabinet.
    Overall sound preferred is fat and crunchy , metal rock fusion etc…

Any one who has one (or both) of these amps is welcome to post his notes regarding them, as well if you can suggest an other small stereo power amp.
    It is really really hard to lay a hand on a decent MESA/BOOGIE amp in Israel , that is the only reason way I'm considering a MARSHALL as well which are very comon in Israel, as I'm not a big fan of them (although I have one of them…).
    Thanks guys.

Re: small power amp, MESA or MARSHALL or something else...

Well when you say "small" for home use, wouldn't you be better off with something mabye smaller because 20w+20w is very loud for home use. if your only looking for home practising mabye a boogie combo of sorts might be better? unless your going for the seperate power amp and pre amp setup?
    Marshall JVM 410C
    Mesa Boogie DC-3
    ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
    1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
    2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
    2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
    1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
    2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
    1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

No, it has to be a stereo power amp. I like playing at home stereo as well, I'm just used to it.
      I got a 100W MARSHALL combo as well, I do not wish to get another combo.
      Although it's for home use only I still would like to get the best sound I can get.
      I will probably use it for small jams with my friends as well so a 20W+20W is perfect for that.
      Thanks.

Comment

I used to have a Mesa 50/50 (not the 2:50). It was extreamly nice, good for both blues rock and metal. I wish I still had it.

Plus, it's switchable between 15w and 50w modes, so it'll be much more useful/flexible than a 20/20. They go pretty cheap on ebay these days.

Stereo rocks.
        || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

so , do you mean you can run the 50/50 in a 15/15 mode actualy ? thats much better for me actualy.
          what actualy is the diference between the 50/50 and 2:50 ?
          thanks.

Comment

The 2:50 doesn't have a 15w low power mode.

The 2:50 is voiced a little different for use with a Triaxis preamp.

Looks.

As far as I know, that's it.

Mesa will mod your 50/50 to sound like a 2:50, it's called the "deep" mod. Last I heard it cost around $50 or $60USD. Since some people have already had the deep mod added, you can tell if it has it by looking in the cooling vents. If you can see a silver thing through them, then it already has it. I can look for a better description of what that silver thing looks like later if you really need to know.

Comment

I had mesa 20/20 and I LOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDD it.
              "Tone is in the cheese." -LSP

"whoever says angus young is overrated is a complete idiot." -flank

Comment

brisk, how do you think it will be for home use ? I'm going to use it with a J STATION , I'm not so familiar with tube amps (its going to be my first ever) as far as I know you have to "cook" a little the tubes in order to get the real meaty sound , will it sound good considering probably I want get it to be cooked, or may be I will ? (remember, home use, 30 squared meter room).

Screamingdaisy, I think then that the 50/50 with out the mode will be better for me as I will use it with a J STATION and on low power, what do you think ?
                Last edited by slide; 04-29-2004, 09:28 AM.

Comment

I use an Engl preamp going into a Marshall EL 34 100/100, and it KICKS!
                  Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                  My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by slide
                    Screamingdaisy, I think then that the 50/50 with out the mode will be better for me as I will use it with a J STATION and on low power, what do you think ?

The tubes start to come alive once you go over half volume, but it still sounds really good at low volume, particularily if you rely on your preamp for most of your distortion.

Comment

Originally posted by slide
                      brisk, how do you think it will be for home use ? I'm going to use it with a J STATION , I'm not so familiar with tube amps (its going to be my first ever) as far as I know you have to "cook" a little the tubes in order to get the real meaty sound , will it sound good considering probably I want get it to be cooked, or may be I will ? (remember, home use, 30 squared meter room)
                      Mesa 20/20 is LOUD. Probably you'd never go more than "5". At "5", your neighbors will bang your door to beg your mercy. That's how loud it is.

Regarding the power amp distortion, J station has more than enough gain (for example, rectifier patch) so I wouldn't worry about it. 20/20 will nicely warm up the tone from J station. You should be able to get a nice distortion sound at a lower volumne too.

Cheers,
                      "Tone is in the cheese." -LSP

"whoever says angus young is overrated is a complete idiot." -flank

Comment

Well, the decision is really tough, I really don’t know what to chose , either 50/50 to be run in half mode or the 20/20… life is hard isn’t it ?

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
                          I use an Engl preamp going into a Marshall EL 34 100/100, and it KICKS!

I've been thinking about picking up a Marshall 50/50 or a 9005 (older version) and I was wondering how your 100/100 has been reliability-wise. I have heard horror stories about that amp burning traces and blowing transformers.
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

i agree. 20 watts stereo can be a bit much for home use. i say, go mono for home use (you wont notice much difference anyway, can always mic it and use headphones and stereo effects on puter). shame no one makes a moneo tube power amp. wait, i can do one up for ya.

germ
                            Jeremy Ledford
                            Tone Guru Extroardinaire
                            Tone Shop

Comment

I had a 20/20 & it was very nice...and it is very loud!

I bought a SansAmp PSA-1 & put it in the single rack space that I had the 20/20 in...loved the different tones of the PSA-1, so the 20/20 was just sitting around in the closet. Eventually I sold it.....and now I'm going back to tubes...GO FIGURE!!!

Although I love certain EL84 tones, I'm really an EL34 man....not sure what the 50/50 is, but the power/output switch would definitely be a plus, in my book!!!

SORRY: I just read this over & thought I'd mention I was running the PSA-1 thru my Tech21 TM60 & Power Engine 60 (in case you were wonderring how I replaced a power amp with a preamp!). So, I really didn't utilize the 20/20 properly....it sounded great thru my Digitech 2112 & like Robert S. says below, the preamp & effects unit will allow you to control the volume a little better. ALSO: get the speakers off the floor!
                              Last edited by PUCKBOY99; 04-30-2004, 06:49 AM.

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                              Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                              FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                              http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Working...
                              X