banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about a G&L for my next guitar...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about a G&L for my next guitar...

So, what's the good word on G&L's current stuff as well as their old stuff? I'm particularly interested in the superstrats, like the Invader S/S/H. Also, why do the older G&L's seem to go for so cheap? I just saw a nice Invader go on Ebay for less than $300!

Re: Thinking about a G&L for my next guitar...

some people need money!

for me, the "production" G & L's are consistently nicer than Fender's

I think as far as used ones, it's the same kind of name recognition problem that Hamers have, even though it's no reflection on the quality. Let's be nice and say they're a "player's secret".

the only problem I have with mine are the pickups and switching - but we know how to deal with that, right???

if you're seriously considering one, just check the factory tour on their site - that should convince you that they're more like a custom shop than a factory ... well, a lot like Seymour's place!

I honestly preferred the old 3-bolt neck with the micro tilt, but oh well

I actually called today to get a quote on a custom order ... even though it's not cheap, you can fairly easily spec your finish, guard color, neck size & finish, and a number of other options, without costing an arm and a leg, like the Fender CS - G & L's a lot more like a hot rod shop in that regard.
    Last edited by Curly; 04-28-2004, 08:09 PM.
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

I've owned two G&L's, a comanche and an ASAT Deluxe, both were built without flaws, the fit and finish was second to none, my only complaint was the weight (especially the ASAT) but I've played a blues boy and an ASAT semi hollow that were damn near perfect. I expect to be picking up a blues boy here in the next few months, I love the gun tint birdseye maple necks! The Legacy's and S500's can sell for pretty cheap used, some say it's because of the swimming pool routing under the pickguard, although they didn't start doing that until just a few years back.

Comment

I'd love to get my hands on an Invader (SSH) or Invader XL (HH). They are awesome guitars! I had the pleasure to play around with one shortly before I decided to start learning the guitar, so I guess the Invader in a way got me started.
        Ibanez RG1570: stock
        Squier Strat: stock

Next on the list: an amp that isn't crap!

Comment

I was just looking at the Buffalo Brothers website. I think Curly pointed me that way originally.

Man, there are some lovely Bluesboys, Legacys, ASATs, etc there.

Makes me want another one now.

I picked my Legacy up when I was looking at getting a new Fender Strat. The Strats I was looking at were twice the price (new) as the used Legacy that I found. Then I played the Legacy and bought it about an hour later.

Undervalued definitely. I happened to get a 3-bolt circa 1991 Legacy too, which was a bonus.

Comment

yes, I'm a big fan of Buffalo Bros!

I've never even bought from them, but they're local, and I go in there once in a while to drool.

They excel at acoustic stuff, and have a pretty good selection of nicer acoustics like Collings, Santa Cruz, Larrivee, Lowden, etc, as well as their big sellers, Taylor and Martin.
            The first time I walked in their previous location, they had about 300 acoustics on the floor!!!!!

But they also have an expanding stock of electric stuff, with an especially nice stock of G & Ls.

They are low key, fair dealers, and are the only place I've seen who offer 100% trade in a "regular" purchase, meaning something bought from their stock, not custom-ordered. I think they must have figured out that return business is worth a lot!

anyway, *rant off* I just called them to ask about a custom ordered Legacy ... I had forgotten about the pool rout though - that kinda bums me a little. But I always find 'em highly playable, and yeah, that gun oiled tint is sweet!
            "music heals"
            facebook

Comment

my next tele will probably be some sort of ASAT...
              Originally posted by jeremy
              God hates bad guitar tone
              GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
              AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
              EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
              Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

isnt there someone in the trader forum selling an invader?
                esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
                fender mim standard strat
                peavey classic 30
                johnson j-station
                original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
                dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
                yamaha f-310p acoustic
                taylor 410 acoustic
                "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

who wants some gas?

peavey classic 30
                  johnson j-station
                  yamaha f-310p acoustic
                  taylor 410 acoustic
                  "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

or this, this one i really am dieing for, and its only $699!!!!!

drools

peavey classic 30
                    johnson j-station
                    yamaha f-310p acoustic
                    taylor 410 acoustic

Comment

Originally posted by xerxes
                      Thanks for that.

Comment

that site is evil ...
                        Originally posted by jeremy
                        God hates bad guitar tone
                        GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
                        AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
                        EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
                        Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

G&L's, are the best Fender style guitars on the market. Another model to consider is the Climax. They were made in the early to mid 90's. Good luck in your search
                          Collings: '08 001-mhsb
                          Dean: '02 Hardtail
                          Fender: '63 Jazzmaster, '74 Telecaster & '11 American Special Telecaster
                          Fender Custom Shop: '16 1962 Custom Telecaster
                          Gibson: '78 Les Paul Deluxe & '99 Les Paul Standard
                          G&L: '87 Asat, '02 Asat Classic
                          Guild: '81 X-79 Skyhawk
                          Heritage: '09 H535 25th Anniversary
                          PRS: '97 Standard 24 & '99 McCarty

Comment

Originally posted by xerxes
                            isnt there someone in the trader forum selling an invader?
                            that would be me! I'm selling this one. It's a GREAT guitar (I have another one which I'm never going to sell)....I'm just selling it to fund some recording equipment. I'll take $500 shipped for it if you're interested.

Thanks!
                            Paige
                            :afro:

Comment

The G&L guitars are great. The only thing with that company is that they're so inconsistent from guitar to guitar, that it's best to play the one you want first. None are bad, but the necks, finishes and setups all vary. I've been digging my new G&L Asat Z-3 and am really impressed with those pickups. To me, they sound like a normal Tele with strat pickups, only when the volume is backed off. When you max out the volume, the pickups get fatter and more humbucker-like. The volume and tone controls have a nice, even sweep, and retain all the highs. This pickup design was the one Leo always wanted Fender to use, but never did. Boy, did they miss out. They're probably the most versatile single coils ever. You could think of them as a set of SSL1's
                              mated with Duncan Invader polepieces. At 8, they sound traditional.
                              At 10, they sound like a P-90.

The modern Invader, to me, is one of the best Floyd equipped guitars available at any price. The neck is a tad slimmer than I'm used to, but it is an awesome neck! The guitar resonates nicely and has far better tone than most of the equivalent guitars from other companies. The G&L shop is fairly small, so they do a lot more hand detailing. It shows when you play them and hear them.
                              Last edited by Gearjoneser; 04-29-2004, 02:25 PM.
                              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                              X