neck-heavy guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• neck-heavy guitar

ok... I have a pretty neck-heavy guitar. I was thinking...if i got a new bridge...a heavier bridge ...would it help even it out? If so...are there any suggestions on a brand or model of bridges. It's a bridge like on a Les Paul. If it wont work...are there any suggestions on how to make it even out a bit better? Thanks.

Re: neck-heavy guitar

what type of guitar is it you have that's neck heavy?

from what I read on here the other day (sorry, can't remember the thread), placement of the strap buttons and what type of strap you use can help with this. Otherwise you may need to add some weight into the body.

I'm sure there's plenty others on here can answer this better than me...

Comment

I have an Ibanez GAX 75. Most say that it's a beginners guitar....however i beg to differ. I love it, besides the fact taht it is pretty neck heavy. And thanks for the welcome I appreciate it

Comment

Oh and umm...Anderson placement?

Comment

Before you modify the guitar,give it a chance. I've come to really like a neck heavy guitar of mine. At first it was strange but now I don't even notice and it's actually easier on your shoulders because you're supporting the weight with your arm. Give it a week or two and see.
          Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Comment

If you add too much weight to the gat body it might not even it out.

It might just make you topple over

Comment

Originally posted by liquidsloth
              I have an Ibanez GAX 75. Most say that it's a beginners guitar....however i beg to differ. I love it, besides the fact taht it is pretty neck heavy. And thanks for the welcome I appreciate it
              haha, i accidently won a bid on a an ibanez gax 75 a few months ago. Paid 100 for it, but i'm pretty pleased with it actually. That and it was loaded with a JB/jazz combo and the guitar was practically brand new

I've also noticed that the neck kinda likes to take itself downward. I just play sitting down though, but when i sit up, i kinda position myself with my hips forward a bit and hold the neck upward with the body on my right hip (gee that sounds weird). The position kinda naturally makes me want to hold the neck up so it's ok.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnJohn
                Try this,(and prepare to drool)

Dedicated to creating the world's finest feeling, playing and sounding electric guitars - since 1984.

look at the strap pins

Even cooler: it was ordered by Mass Street Music, in Lawrence, Kansas -- where I used to go!
                This machine kills fascists

Comment

another cool way to decrease the neck heaveyness of it is to put lead tape on the body of the guitar. obvously, this can ruin the finish, so some people put the tape under the pickups and other electronics.

welcome to the board
                  esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
                  fender mim standard strat
                  peavey classic 30
                  johnson j-station
                  original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
                  dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
                  yamaha f-310p acoustic
                  taylor 410 acoustic
                  "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Originally posted by Multi
                    haha, i accidently won a bid on a an ibanez gax 75 a few months ago. Paid 100 for it, but i'm pretty pleased with it actually. That and it was loaded with a JB/jazz combo and the guitar was practically brand new

???. you could sell the pickups for more than that! nice catch!!!!!
                    esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
                    fender mim standard strat
                    peavey classic 30
                    johnson j-station
                    original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
                    dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
                    yamaha f-310p acoustic
                    taylor 410 acoustic
                    "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

It may just be a simple thing, but you might want to consider repositioning the strap buttons. Sometimes this will balance the instrument a little better. Another alternative is maybe change the tuners to a lighter style. I put a set of grovers on an SG and it made the headstock continually slide down. I replaced the tuners with the originals, and it was a lot better.
                      "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by JohnJohn
                        Try this,(and prepare to drool)

http://www.andersonguitars.com/weekly.html
                        Dude, i'm jizzing all over myself...
                        "Dave, what are your thoughts on AIDS?"
                        "You're talking about sex, right? Hell, i don't need no aids!" -Dave Mustaine

Comment

...cheers lol

the strap buttons mean everything in balancing the guitar. a centimeter too far can send the headstock floorwards.

saying that, is it only when the strap is long? keeping things short usually calms balance problems down for me..

Comment

Working...
                          X