good source for used instruments??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good source for used instruments??

recently ive been daydreaming about 2 guitars. either a late '75-79 (CBS large headstock w/ bullet truss rod era?) USA strat, preferbly with maple board, or a les paul studio, dont really care abuot year, maybe say early 90's?

anyone know of a good website or place in the metro-nyc area that has a good selection of used (not vintage!!) guitars for cheap. whats the going rate on either of these? i would like to be able to get either of them for like $800, but i have a feeling that the strat is more like $1000. i dont care about a ding or some missing paint, but i want all or mostly original if possible, no mods. what should i expect to pay? anything to look out for?

i was thinking if i could find a paul cheap enough buy a set of jimi page custom shop and do the page wiring???? for the strat, id hope the pickups were good. if they werent original or sucked, id hope to have spend a bit less and use the $$ towards a calibrated antiquity set (w/ reverse wound middle?)

thanks in advance
    Godin SDXT - 59-ClassicStack-JB
    Martin D-15 - Fishman Neo-D
    Boss BD-2 - MXR dynacomp - Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 - Morley A/B/Y
    Crate VC-3112
    Brownsville NY J-Bass Copy
    Fender Bassman 60

Re: good source for used instruments??

Mandolin Bros. is good ( as JohnJohn said ) , or Manny's.
    Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Too bad We Buy Guitars isn't around anymore. That place was fun!

Since the invention of eBay real good used shops are harder and harder to find. Mandolin Bros is supposed to be great, never been there got to go soon. Visit 48th Street if you can and then shhot down to the village and mull around by a few shops down there. Toys in the Attic while usually a little pricey has lots of stuff at the shows so I would think they'd be pretty fat in the store.
      My Bands -
      https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
      www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
      www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
      GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

If your considering buying a '75 79 era strat for 1000. forget it those guitars are going to run more$$. You should consider a Refin, that will be more in your price range. More than likley the original PUPS will be gone also. Think about it a new strat (american) sell for over 800. a 20 year old strat will sell for a lot more. It is considered a vintage guitar.
        A used LP(90's) is going to run 1200. to 1500 depending on condition, and you may still have to replace the pups to get the sound you want!!!!
        "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Mandolin Brothers is very, VERY, expensive. If you want a great playable instrument, over collectability, you can try 30th Street Guitars in NYC. I know you can get a '79 hard tail Strat at about $1300 - 1400 in very good shape.
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Working...
          X