banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lol,i just got a big pop out of my amp and then it hissed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young Angus
    replied
    Re: Lol,i just got a big pop out of my amp and then it hissed!

Originally posted by y2stevo
    Hey Angus..Have you ever considered getting An Attenuator for that.. I mean it would be hard to push the tubes in something thats 120 watts afterall..?
    At least try that before you sell her..and if you already have then pleasre accept my apology and disregars this statement..
    Yeah ive definitely considered attenuators, and plan to get one someday. But i think this amps preamp is supposed to be pretty complicated and hence gets fantastic tone without using power tube distortion as well. All will be revealed when i retube the beast

Leave a comment:

• Young Angus
    replied

Originally posted by Dime59hum
    Its not ENGL that is a piece of **** man, its just that he needs a retube. I should slap Young Angus for not getting one yet.
    I know man i deserve a slap but its all finantial issues i tell ya! Its not easy being in a difficult final year of uni and not being able to work enough to earn the money you need to pay for stuff like this. To get the guitar ive had to sell a few things and work extra hard as it is, but dont worry ill definitely retube it soon....not that ive ever said that before

Leave a comment:

• y2stevo
    replied

Hey Angus..Have you ever considered getting An Attenuator for that.. I mean it would be hard to push the tubes in something thats 120 watts afterall..?
    At least try that before you sell her..and if you already have then pleasre accept my apology and disregars this statement..

Leave a comment:

• Dime59hum
    replied

Originally posted by JOLLY
    You either need to get rid of that piece of crap or have something done to it. I don't think you've ever made one positive thread about that amp.
    Its not ENGL that is a piece of **** man, its just that he needs a retube. I should slap Young Angus for not getting one yet.
    Last edited by Dime59hum; 04-30-2004, 03:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Panzer
    replied

Maybe there is something good about solid states after all 0_@

Leave a comment:

• Young Angus
    replied

Hopefully.

About the guitar though, i have run out of time on my layby and have to pay it off, i should have it this week anyway so im gonna get that out of the way and im not gonna bother retrofitting pickups or anything like that...im gonna go straight to new tubes after next week so shouldnt be long.

Thanks for all the advice and patience on these silly problems of mine

Leave a comment:

• Gearjoneser
    replied

Yeah, I'd make tubes the first priority. Those amps are built solid, so it's most likely that the tubes were worn, the bias may have drifted way off causing even more stress to the amp, then you pushed it to the limit and $%$%!~#$^%!^&

Find a local guy that will bias it properly for low $. Those amps are complex, so biasing has to be pretty dead on. All the problems you've had will probably disappear the day you fix it up.

Leave a comment:

• DeadSkinSlayer3
    Guest replied

Man...I'd say retube BEFORE you get the guitar. A good amp is THE basis of tone IMHO, besides the player themselves.

Leave a comment:

• \m/(00)\m/
    replied

you think thats bad?

im able to get radio signals from my marshall!!

Leave a comment:

• Young Angus
    replied

Originally posted by mrid
    Have you replaced the powertubes yet?
    Nope

But im not complaining about anything dont think im having another whinge without having actually done anything After i get this guitar and pay some bills im gonna get some cash together and get a stack of JJ tubes off Bob at eurotubes i think and retube both my mesa and my ENGL, and maybe even learn to bias the ENGL myself. Then if it still sounds crap i will be whinging and selling

But hopefully Bob's JJ's thats he swears by should straighten the amp out

Leave a comment:

• mrid
    replied

Have you replaced the powertubes yet?

Leave a comment:

• Young Angus
    replied

Yeah, it must sound pretty dodgy to everyone on these forums, ive had nothing but complaints. But i have faith in it and soon ill be able to retube and service it if it needs it and hopefully that will set it straight.

I actually got a really impressive high gain sound out of it today...before it nearly blew up hahahahahaha

Leave a comment:

• JOLLY
    replied

You either need to get rid of that piece of crap or have something done to it. I don't think you've ever made one positive thread about that amp.

Leave a comment:

• Young Angus
    replied

Hahahaaha yeah ill show it!

*thrashes amp with a branch basil fawlty style*

Leave a comment:

• Jonny R
    replied

Don't let your amp talk to you like that. Show it whos boss

Leave a comment:

Working...
X