Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Les Paul Studio: yay or nay?

So, what do you think?

I will use it mostly for heavy things, so I will replace the pick ups with Duncan Distortions (both neck and bridge). I don't use effects (guitar - chord - VHT combo).

PS: with heavy thing I mean Metallica tops. I hate death -, goth -, black -, or whatever other metal...
    Vintage Les Paul Copy (SH6b - SH2)
    VHT Pitbull 50/12 2X12"

Re: Gibson Les Paul Studio: yay or nay?

I have a epiphone Les Paul studio....and it kicks for that type of music. I put a DD in the bridge and 59 in the neck. I'm really starting to like that combo. I think the DDs work very good in Les Paul type guitars. I'm sure that the Gibson is prolly 10 times better than the epi though. If i were you i would be getting it, but thats just my opinion. I really like LP's. Especially for a Metallica kinda of sound.
    Epiphone Les Paul-100 >Neck/59 Bridge/DD
    Epiphone Les Paul-Studio >Bridge/JB
    OLP 4-String Bass> Active Basslines Pup
    Peavey 5150 Head and 5150 Slant Cab
    Boss-DD-3~PH-2~BF-2~TR-2
    Dunlop 535Q Wah~Ernie Ball Volume~Fender PT-10

Phil 4:13
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

~ That verse has helped me make it through everyday of my life. Remember.. God is always there and always will be. He has and always will love you.

Comment

I think it varies from guitar to guitar. I've played some nice ones, and some real turds. I feel as though the quality varies so much cause it's somewhat of an entry level Les Paul; at least compared to Standards & Customs.

Comment

Here's a recent thread on LP Studios:

Comment

Originally posted by casblah
          I think it varies from guitar to guitar. I've played some nice ones, and some real turds. I feel as though the quality varies so much cause it's somewhat of an entry level Les Paul; at least compared to Standards & Customs.
          No offense to you at all, I just hate when people say it's an "entry level" Les Paul. It's identical to the Les Paul Standards minus the cosmetics. That's all. It'll feel and sound the same. I think they look better actually. Unfortunately.......you're unlikely to find a good Gibson unless you pay more money than the guitar is worth to begin with. I sold both my les pauls this year in favor of cheaper instruments that sounded and played better. I went on a search for a better Les Paul a few weeks ago and just ended up seeing and playing some of the crappiest guitars I've ever experienced. Boooo Gibson. I'm going to get an ESP eclipse. Nicer looking, playing, sounding guitar and comes with duncans for half the price of a Gibson.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeromus
            ..... It's identical to the Les Paul Standards minus the cosmetics. That's all. It'll feel and sound the same. ......
            Sorry to "nit pick", but no it isn´t.

The fretboard is ebony, making the acoustic tone brighter and snappier, more in the direction of Custom as opposed to the Rosewood Fretboard of a standard.
            Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

I say "yay". Kick a$$ guitars.

J
              Low wattage rocks!
              Bumbox Lead 1
              Orange Tiny Terror
              Vox 120VTH
              ----------------------
              Gibson LP Standard - SG Supreme
              Agile LP-2500 - Jackson JSX-94

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
                Sorry to "nit pick", but no it isn´t.

The fretboard is ebony, making the acoustic tone brighter and snappier, more in the direction of Custom as opposed to the Rosewood Fretboard of a standard.
                I thought only the Alpine White Studio had the ebony fretboard.

yeah I just double checked the Gibson website, all the studios except the alpine white and platinum one have rosewood.

so, BOOYA!!

Just kiddin', you're more experienced than me when it comes to this stuff, and you make some damn fine guitars too (checked your site a few days ago). But I think I'm right on this one. If I'm not, I'll concede defeat, but I think I am.

Comment

I prefer the studio's to the standards. They just feel better to me, and in my opinion, that's what really matters.
                  || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by Xeromus
                    I thought only the Alpine White Studio had the ebony fretboard.

yeah I just double checked the Gibson website, all the studios except the alpine white and platinum one have rosewood.

so, BOOYA!!

Just kiddin', you're more experienced than me when it comes to this stuff, and you make some damn fine guitars too (checked your site a few days ago). But I think I'm right on this one. If I'm not, I'll concede defeat, but I think I am.
                    I haven´t looked at the Gibson website, but when I was still a retailer they all had Ebony Boards, as does my Gothic. But from the looks of the website they seem to have changed that. My bad

*EDIT* BTW, I don´t have a website yet....I´m assuming you mean Frank Scheucher / www.zerberusguitars.de , but that´s not me, and I´m pretty happy about it. BTW, he´s been around since around 2002, I´ve been actually building since about ´98

He makes (or rather has made for him, 90% the guitars are korean! Admits so himself on the website) some nice eye candy, but I don´t really like his own work, either. The Build quality is IMO a bit under what you can ask for for that price. Example: a Jackson DK-2 costs about the same as an S-Flame, but has better hardware and pickups. The Neck joint is usually top notch pn the DK-2, definitely not wide enough for a pick, even a thin one. Ok, the Body is "only" alder, but can also be had with a flame maple veneer. His hardtails are generally ok, but for example the use of cheap tuners and single locking "Mighty Mite" Floyds appalls me on what he calls "high quality, professional guitars". Those will never stay in tune decently, no matter how good the rest is (my opinion).

I almost feel like I´m bashing him here, that is NOT my intent, though. His handmade custom stuff is on par with most semi-pro luthiers, but that´s where he gets pricey as well
                    Last edited by Zerberus; 04-29-2004, 01:59 PM.
                    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

I'll let you know when I finish it. May take awhile. I'm working on split/series switching, phase/reversal switching, and if all goes well, maybe even throwing a Bigby on there. Cross your fingers.
                      Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
                      Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
                      Originally posted by Sosomething
                      "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

Zerberus - ah sorry, you're right about that. It was a short cruise anyway, looked at the pretty stuff and left, didn't get too in depth with it. (website)

Comment

I think a lot of times, when someone says they visited a store and a guitar felt "crappy", most of the fault lies with the store. If the guitar hasn't had a proper set-up, or if it has been in a bad climate( if the store doesn't watch their humidity levels, temp. etc... ), then ya, those guitars are gonna feel " crappy ". I can spot this immediately whenever I pick up a guitar in a store. Especially a Les Paul. I have played em for so long, and am so familiar with how they are supposed to feel, if one needs a set-up it's apparent right away. I also look for excessively dry fingerboards, etc... I've had a lot of people bring me their " crappy feeling, crapping playing " guitars, and after a proper set-up, and a little common sense essential routine maintenance, they can't get over the difference. I always take note of the stores that are guilty of this, and let people know. There is one store in particular where I live that is awful, and I never buy from them.
                          Only The Strong Survive

Comment

As for my answer to your original question....just play some Studio's, and find one you like. In general, I think they're fine guitars.
                            Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Yep thats true..Zerb wins again!
                              Marshall JVM 410C
                              Mesa Boogie DC-3
                              ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
                              1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
                              2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
                              2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
                              1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
                              2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
                              1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Working...
                              X