Bass Strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass Strings

I bought a used Yamaha BB404 bass that's in bad need of a setup. I don't have much experience with basses, so what guage strings should I use? I believe the bass is a 34" scale, and if it helps any, I like 9-42s on my 25.5 scale guitars and 10-46s on my 24.75 scale guitars.
    "Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Re: Bass Strings

if you don't mind the heavy strings, play 105's Otherwise, 95's
    Teenagers can't sing the Blues. They ain't fixin' to die yet. Adults sing the Blues. In Blues, "adulthood" means being old enough to get the electric chair if you shoot a man in Memphis.

Comment

Thanks. I've also noticed that bass strings come in long and short scales, but I don't know what bass scales are. Is 34 long or short?
      "Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
      - C.S. Lewis

Comment

34 is long scale. short scale are around 32 or less, and there are extra long scale that starts around 35 or so and go up.
        Teenagers can't sing the Blues. They ain't fixin' to die yet. Adults sing the Blues. In Blues, "adulthood" means being old enough to get the electric chair if you shoot a man in Memphis.

Comment

I play long scale D'addario soft guage.

Comment

I've always used 45-105's.......and yes, it's long scale. Since you're not experienced with basses there's really no sense in you spending $20-$30 on a set of strings. Get a set of $10 Darco strings. That's about as cheap as you'll find any bass strings.

Comment

I play Fender Super Bass 7250s Bass Strings F7250M Medium gauges: .045, .065, .085, .105

I play DR TiteFit LH 9-46.

I find the light bass strings tend to "rattle" too much.
              Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
              https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
              Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Working...
              X