Best 6L6GC and 12AX7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best 6L6GC and 12AX7

i am curious to know everyones preception of what is the best 6L6GC type tube and the best 12AX7 right now my bassman has old rca 12ax7's and svetlana sed 6l6 GC's with a jan military 12at7. the Jcm 800 has all electro harmonix stuff in her. I am after the best tone for the money. NOS tubes are out of the question i only have the rca's because they were in the amp when i bought it. Thanks
    76 Gibson SG Standard - cherry
    Gibson SG Standard - black
    Gibson Double cut special - black
    Gibson SG-X - sea green

67 Blackface Bassman
    Marshall 1960B (v-30s)
    ProCo - Rat
    Marshall JTM-30

Re: Best 6L6GC and 12AX7

I'd say the new Groove Tubes 6L6 GTE that's used in the Bassman LTD. For new production 12AX7's, either JJ's or Sovtek LPS.

just my picks
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

The best "affordable" 6L6GC's, IMO, are from JJ and Svetlana. I'm sure those GT's are worthy of their pricetag, though! For 12AX7's, I like EHx, Sovtek LPS, JJ ECC83S, and Shuguang 9th gen.

Comment

Yeah, I'm with MRID. Actually, what you've got isn't that bad, all around.
        For a retube on the Bassman, I'd get Svetlana =C= 6L6's, and JJ pre's

For the JCM 800, I'd get Svetlana =C= EL-34's and spend $15 each on GT 12AX7C's,
        the Shuguang Chinese ones, or spend more for the 12AX7M's.

hit the link in my signature for revolutionguitar.com, to see the best prices on all those
        tubes.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

you can't go wrong with the svetlana el-34's and jj 12ax7 or gt 12ax7-c's they sound great in my soldano !!!!
          Wayne Rock-legend #143 Jazz/JB
          Suhr OD-50
          Suhr 4x12" Vintage 30's

"Bradshaw" Moded Crybaby, Majik Box Rocket Fuel

Comment

For 6L6GC tubes, I'd definitly look into the matched JJs. For preamp, either highgain graded JJs or EHs. I use EHs.

Duke
            www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

I like Svetlana Power Tubes, and JJ pre's. Use em in all my Marshall's and Fenders.
              Only The Strong Survive

Comment

JJ's are always a good way to go..in my opinion.
                Epiphone Les Paul-100 >Neck/59 Bridge/DD
                Epiphone Les Paul-Studio >Bridge/JB
                OLP 4-String Bass> Active Basslines Pup
                Peavey 5150 Head and 5150 Slant Cab
                Boss-DD-3~PH-2~BF-2~TR-2
                Dunlop 535Q Wah~Ernie Ball Volume~Fender PT-10

Phil 4:13
                I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

~ That verse has helped me make it through everyday of my life. Remember.. God is always there and always will be. He has and always will love you.

Comment

Ive heard great things about JJ's, especially from Bob at Eurotubes
                  My Soundclick page.

Comment

From the little bit of research I've done, EHX preamp tubes and Telsa/JJ power tubes.
                    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

As far as Svetlana vs. Tesla JJ.....Both are great, but the JJ's have a big glassy sound to them and the Svets have a warmer more compressed sound.
                      I tend to favor JJ's for cleaner amps and Svetlana for high gain amps.

Also, if you crank your amp to the point of vibration, the Svetlanas are more durable to that kind of abuse. The internal parts in a Svetlana tube are anchored tighter than JJ's. If you buy Svetlanas, make sure they are the ones with the =C= winged C logo. I've been told that Sovtek bought the Svetlana name and started making sovteks with a Svetlana logo, recently.

As far as pre's go. Svetlana pre's aren't very popular. I don't know why, but maybe they don't sound quite as good as their power tubes. I'm just guessing tho. JJ's, GT chinese and mullard copies are the best pre tubes in current production IMO.
                      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                      X