banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

STRAT OWNERS:Should my trem be flush against body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STRAT OWNERS:Should my trem be flush against body?

Bought a new MIM Strat and setup from store has the vintage style treolo bridge up off the body about 1/8 inch. Is this correct or should it be flush. I'm thinking it might be correct because I've read strat players say when you use the whammy bar you should pull back up on it to get it back in tune.
    Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Re: STRAT OWNERS:Should my trem be flush against body?

The 2 point trems on the MIAs should be 1/8" off the body at the trailing edge, the vintage style on the MIMs should be flush. If your nut is properly cut and polished, you shouldn't have to to much of anything to keep your Strat in tune.

At least thats the theory.......
    www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
    www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

I've heard that some people do float the strat-style trems a little, to allow some up-bend. Don't see much point myself but hey, different folks, different strokes.

Comment

I float mine to allow about 1/4 step bend up- this is with a vintage saddle. It works well, and stays in tune.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

On my Strat (MIA) I had the springs tightened up so that the trem is flush with the body....Cuz I never use the trem.....Well maybe at the end of a song but that is all..................
          _

Comment

i have 2 mim strats and i have had 3 pro set ups on each both have the trem flush with the body...doesnt bother me i never use whammy bar anyway. I say if it works for u....use it

Comment

Depends on what you want the trem to do, when they float they are good for making chord shimmers, classic Strat sound.
              If you want more body to your sound flush it...and you can still make the chords shimmer but not as prominent as before, Gilmoure has his floating, Van Halen had his old ones flush, Jeff Becks is floating wildly...da man is insane
              But he also uses rollernuts and locking tuners.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert S.
                The 2 point trems on the MIAs should be 1/8" off the body at the trailing edge, the vintage style on the MIMs should be flush. If your nut is properly cut and polished, you shouldn't have to to much of anything to keep your Strat in tune.

At least thats the theory.......
                No offenese meant Robert, but *why* is a MIA, supposed to be set-up differently than a MIM ... Not saying, that you are wrong, I'm just curious ...I've always (except for beginning students) set them up flat [referring to a six point], later on floated them to where the high *E* string can be pulled up to a *F-sharp*... well a descent Fender vibrato, if set up properly, will stay in tune [ providing the strings are properly strung,and stretched] for everything except divebomb madness. What's the reason there? As most 6 point trems are set up a bit floating, at least that's what Fender designed it to do. Just curious?
                ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Pros and Cons to both: IF the bridge is floating, if you rest your hand to agressivley on the bridge it will raise the pitch! If you break a string with a floating bridge you are dead! the guitar will go completley out of tune, regardless of any type of nut!
                  If the bridge is flush, you cannot raise the pitch by resting your hand on the bridge, and if you break a string you can at least get through the song! It will stay in tune. I prefer mine resting on the body(most of the time), and I use 5 springs!!! The bridge moves ONLY when I want it to! I do have One strat setup with it floating for certain tunes!
                  "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                  "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Kent, they are different styles of bridge. The 2 point trem is meant to float a little and is sort of a cross between vintage and floyd. The vintage style are usually flush from the factory and I believe thats what fender recommends.

Of course you can do anything that works.
                    www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
                    www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
                    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Originally posted by Robert S.
                      Kent, they are different styles of bridge. The 2 point trem is meant to float a little and is sort of a cross between vintage and floyd. The vintage style are usually flush from the factory and I believe thats what fender recommends.

Of course you can do anything that works.
                      Ah, okay ... I was getting the mistaken impression that you were talking about the same style bridge, just a difference in set up according to where they were made or some other such thing. I see, I shoulda read you post a bit more closely ...

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave
                        Pros and Cons to both: IF the bridge is floating, if you rest your hand to agressivley on the bridge it will raise the pitch! If you break a string with a floating bridge you are dead! the guitar will go completley out of tune, regardless of any type of nut!
                        If the bridge is flush, you cannot raise the pitch by resting your hand on the bridge, and if you break a string you can at least get through the song! It will stay in tune. I prefer mine resting on the body(most of the time), and I use 5 springs!!! The bridge moves ONLY when I want it to! I do have One strat setup with it floating for certain tunes!
                        Very true this ... I've always loved the idea of a vibrato bridge that floats, but has a lock to treat it as a fixed bridge ... There was a post on the old forum about someone who was working on something like that, that would be part of the arms action ... Forget who it was though.

Comment

Thanks for all the replys. I think I'm gonna leave it slightly floating like it is. Nice for vibrato and it seems to be staying in tune pretty well.

As a post script, it's funny how I've come full circle back to a Strat. I started about 15 years ago with a Harmony strat copy from JC Penney ( you can laugh), went to humbuckers and now I'm really liking the Strat's tone.
                          Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Comment

On all of my strats they are all flush against the body (that's just personal preference) and as they have vintage trems can be done this way. I have had them floating but loads of problems with tuning stability and breakages. I don't use the arm so it does not affect me. On my EC strat there are no springs attached to the trem block, just good old fashioned block of wood.
                            Normans Guitars

Comment

The original fender patent drawing for the stratocaster tremolo has a profile drawing that shows it set on a slight angle for a floating operation. That's how strats were set up back in the day, and that's why new strats are set up floating from the factory. Guitar Player's 50th anniversary of the Strat issue from a few months ago has a picture of the drawing.

I set mine flat, personally. I use the bar quite a bit, too.
                              Originally posted by Jolly
                              ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Working...
                              X