Want to build another guitar - throw your ideas around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Want to build another guitar - throw your ideas around

Thanks Chip - I registered with the MIMF, was going to post but it's read-only on weekends. Didn't look around much, but I will do. A chambered solidbody wouldn't be very difficult at all with a body with a cap. With my tele (which has a split down the middle, so imagine 2 thin guitar shapes on top of each other glued together) I actually put in some small chambers because I was concerned with weight. I went easy because I was worried it have an adverse effect on the tone/sustain. Basically just matched the control cavity space to the other side to make it symmetrical. With a hardwood, big chambers on either side is no deal at all, just have to measure up for depth. No different from routing a control cavity, except you do it from the insdie out.There are pics in The Telecaster Book of the inside of the f-shole teles done the same way.

I'm really curious about the sound difference between big chamber (liek the rickenbacker) vs 2 side chambers (like semisolid tele or warmoth), vs zillions of small chambers (like chambered warmoth)

I didn't have any tools when I made my guitar, really, besides a sander, files etc, jigsaw and bench drill frame thing for mounting a regular electric drill in. Borrowed a router and learned how to use it, and got a woodworker to cut the rough body shape out of the slab of wood with a bandsaw (did a great job). My dad helped me a lot. The hardest part, really, is making the templates for the neck pocket and pups and getting them right, and measuring stuff up like putting the bridge in the right spot.
    Last edited by StefanM; 05-02-2004, 01:24 AM.
    Homemade Tas Oak Tele w/ SD Custom 4 & strat Blue Lace Sensor, Boogie DC-3

Comment

Working...
    X