Gibson "Digital" Guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson "Digital" Guitar

Saw in the local paper today that Gibson has come up with a "Digital" Guitar. Looks like a slim single coil right in front of the Bridge Humbucker. Gonna cost around $ 1500 more than a LP Standard. Anyone know anything about em ????
    Only The Strong Survive

Re: Gibson "Digital" Guitar

It's news to me.... Sounds interesting.
    ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

I think i remember seeing an article online. IIRC the cord will be ethernet.

Comment

They've been talking about those for a year or so now.....at least that's how long I've known about them. I'll see if I can find a link.
        Last edited by JOLLY; 04-30-2004, 04:03 PM.

Comment

The article said it will be like taking a regular LP and putting it in stereo. It also said the Guitar "purists" will snub it, but that eventually it will be like the CD, which replaced, for the most part, the cassette tape. George Gruhn spoke up, and said that the best and purest guitar tone will still come from magnetic pickups and tube amps. It sounds like Gibson is takin a chance on " Technology" . Think I'll keep my old Paulys around. LOL
          Only The Strong Survive

Comment

here ya go:

Comment

Thanks, Jolly.
              Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Still........I think I'll stick with my old Paulys and Marshall's.
                Only The Strong Survive

Comment

I don't think it would take like the CD.. I mean did Solid State Take From Tube??
                  , be it that tube is still superiour but still i don't think even the non purists will totally throw out there "analog" guitars for a digital?
                  Marshall JVM 410C
                  Mesa Boogie DC-3
                  ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
                  1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
                  2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
                  2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
                  1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
                  2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
                  1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

My apologies...i didnt look before i jumped.. This thing looks quiet intreuging...its just a normal Les Paul with extra electronics..It would be Kinda cool to have seperate amps for each string on your guitar....
                    Marshall JVM 410C
                    Mesa Boogie DC-3

Comment

Gibson took a chance a while ago when they worked with Moog to develop active pups. That's where stuff like the RD and the Les Paul Artists came about. They flopped there and I have a feeling they'll flop with this new ethernet monstrosity.
                      Originally posted by kevlar3000
                      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                      Originally posted by Zerberus
                      Better is often the enemy of good
                      Originally posted by ginormous
                      Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

That the one thing thats kinda strange, Id find it kinda not "Pure" i guess the word would be having a phone line coming out of my guitar...
                        Marshall JVM 410C
                        Mesa Boogie DC-3

Comment

im all for progress in guitar building. problem is, this thing has been vaporware for 2 years. plus, Gibson is not known as a foward thinking company- usually when they try, they screw it up (look at Opcode/Oberheim/Trace Elliot..3 divisions they couldn't keep open). Maybe if they sell the technology to Line6...
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer
                            im all for progress in guitar building. problem is, this thing has been vaporware for 2 years. plus, Gibson is not known as a foward thinking company- usually when they try, they screw it up (look at Opcode/Oberheim/Trace Elliot..3 divisions they couldn't keep open). Maybe if they sell the technology to Line6...
                            Thats an interesting suggestion, But as you know gibson they're all for taking credit and if "we cant have it then no-one can" type of thing..
                            Marshall JVM 410C
                            Mesa Boogie DC-3

Comment

That kind of bums me out and pisses me off.

Just as we think our good ol' analog guitar world is as best as it can be, they come along with this 'digital' BS and telling us that analog sucks. I happen to like hum. It's kind of comforting. The sound of my guitar strapped on and plugged in. How do you get a vintage tone from something so hi-tech? I don't like the idea at all. Like i've always heard, don't fix something that isn't broken. There is nothing wrong with the guitar world the way it is.

We're in a constant journy to try our best to sound the best we can. (equipment, etc) And in the process, we become better guitar players. Let's say this is like the CD replacing the cassette tape. 50 years from now, newbie guitarist are plugging in their guitars and getting the best tone they can get. What do they have to look foward to? Effects, effects, and more effects. This digibullsh*t is going to ruin music. I'm never buying any of this sh*t.

Sure, perfect recordings. Cool, no. Who wants perfect recordings? This is going to lead to so much. Remember the thread from the other day about studio manipulation? Taking mess-ups and fixing them. It kills it. Do you guys see where i'm going with this? They're going to be able to do too much with guitar, that it won't even be guitar any more. It's all going to be a bunch of techno BS. I don't like anything more than your simple everyday effects, anything more than that just sounds fake.

Who know's maybe i'm wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X