Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Celestian Vs. Eminance

Hey JUMP....check with him @ www.missionamps.com

He also does this acetone break in thing that makes the speaker sound like it's been broken in/aged. I never heard them without the break-in, but the way they sound, it was worth the extra few bucks he charged!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
    Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
    FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Check over on the gear page forum www.thegearpage.net

Several threads about the new Emi's in amps and cabs.

Doug Roccaforte has been giving some great info as he is now using them in his amps. Aiken too I believe.

For what it's worth I have compared like chinese and english Celestions and can't hear the diff. They are quite good, but I prefer to support US business so I will be using Redcoats or Patriots in the future. I do have 1 chinese Celestion stock in a Dr Z cab.
      Playing:
      Thorn, PRS and Kauer Guitars
      Marshall, Greer amps, Metroamp Home Builds
      Duncan Favorites: SM3, 59's, Sat Night Specials....
      Scumback Speakers, V Picks and various other sundries

Comment

Originally posted by 59paul
        Vin. 30 allows it to " break up " sooner than higher wattage speakers.
        the vnitage 30 is a 70 or 100 watt speaker, IIRC.

germ
        Jeremy Ledford
        Tone Guru Extroardinaire
        Tone Shop

Comment

Originally posted by lastwinj
          the vnitage 30 is a 70 or 100 watt speaker, IIRC.

germ

Spec's say 60 watts BTW. Good speakers.
          Playing:
          Thorn, PRS and Kauer Guitars
          Marshall, Greer amps, Metroamp Home Builds
          Duncan Favorites: SM3, 59's, Sat Night Specials....
          Scumback Speakers, V Picks and various other sundries

Comment

After reading all the buzz at the Gear Page, I bought a Em. Red Fang for my Tweed Deluxe. it's a GREAT speaker... Very close in tone to the wonderful Celestion Blue and about 1/2 the price of one. And made in the USA for extra measure. Excellent speaker. It has a big bell on the back of it that can't be removed though. IF space is tight, it might not fit too well.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

I have used Eminence exclusively fro the past year and a half. The GB12s are phenominal speakers and at 90.00 a pair from Avatar it is tough to beat price wise. Many sources I trust maintain the GB12 sounds more like the original Greenbacks than the current Celestion line does at double the price. I had a set of vintage G12H30s for a good while, I needed some bucks and sold them, have not missed them at all. I also like the fact that the GB12s handle 50 watts instead of 25, you can really push them with higher power amps. If you hit my link all the tunes are a cranked Plexi RI with GB12s. I will also soon have a couple tunes I recorded with the Eminence alnico speakers and my Carlsbro head. I love those tones too. Back when I had my 5150 combo I put in some V12s and they too were a huge improvement over the stock Sheffields.
              ]
              FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
              http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

I just recentley put a Celestion Greenback in My Peavey Classic 30 and it's given my amp a whole new dimension and life. Very, very good detail in the highs when using distortion. I'm kind of curious about Kevlar's comments about the Eminance GB12 models. Right now I'm very happy with the Greenback but maybe one day I'll try the Eminance.

Comment

I think we all end up realizing how important good speakers are to your tone. Huge differences.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Hey... I'm almost missing the tone I was getting from the GB12's in my 2x12. The tone was more open and airy than the UK V30/G12H (last UK-made) I currently use. The GB12s have a lot of vibe and depth to my ears... Eminence doesnt dope this speaker, it might have something to do.

Anyway, they were damn fine. And the new Patriot/Redcoat serie received some pretty great reviews here and there.

I'd also consider WeberVST speakers too... their replica of the original Celestion designs and newer ones (G12M-70, G12-65 and V30) are great too. I can get you these for 80$ + shipping.
                    Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar

I've used Celestions since about 1970...but I won't buy a new Celestion that's made in CHINA, a country with one of the worst human rights records on the planet and which has done all within it's power to destroy the Tibetan people and thier culture.

Lew
                      Hey Lew with the fullest respect I don't agree with putting ideology in the pot here. I do mean all hostilities that China committed against Tibet and even their own people are unacceptable and evil - but every and each countries had, have and will have its huuuge black spots. On this base, everyone can say "I refuse to buy XYZ products from XYZ countries who were governed by a nazi regime, were slaveholders, dropped nuclear bombs on civilians, gathered material wealth in the name of God while defending their position and power for over a millenium, used and developed and mass-produced bio&chem wmd, massacred their own people in the communist terror, pirated on the seas or exterminated whole civilizations or burned down Karthago or took my toy when I was 3 etc" At the end, surely, you won't find anyone on the list of a non-evil past, present or future

I have doubts with Chinese products, too, but not because of ideological issues but quality: I have seen more poor things coming from there. On the other side of the coin I can see a vast improvement of quality control of licensed products in the last decade. Yet, not perfect but improving. I choose a product if it's good and don't if it's not. If Fakenuba Furamuki corporation makes my fav voiced speakers in the future I will use Fakenuba manufactured speakers. Okay it is a great thing to support your own country to buy its own products but the majority of the far Eastern profit of licensed products there goes for the Western pockets. Probably them Western-based companies deploy foreign facilities NOT because they can make less money this way or they want to support other countries economy. If you buy Epiphone you support US in the first place and the manufacturing country in a smaller portion.

back to the track: I was grown up on listening to and playing through them British cabs so I will always find them better sounding than anything else. I noticed that generally Jensens have better clean response and Eminences have more articulate lows but I always missed something badly any time I played through them, no matters how good the others were. If you hear classic or modern dirty guitar tones with mid + hi-mid edge it's most probably some kind of Celestion. I'm gettin' to know them by flavour and smell since I had lots of options in the studio but I don't have that experience with Eminences. For me, generally the most significant difference between Celestions and the Eminences I played is the way Celestions handle the mids you throw at them. It always keep your tone defined. Eminences I played generally do the same refinement with lows. Same with wheight: the Eminences I tested were heavy as hell.

new-old speaker difference: I noticed recently that it can be misleading if you compare a new speaker with a worn one of its own type. In my experience, a new speaker doesn't sound that really nice unless abused for a while. My old G12T75 cab began to sound good after 5-6 months of kicking hard. I have been using this little one for over a decade and year after year it sounds better. Recently I had the opportunity to A/B test it with a new, similar 1x12 T75 cab and it sounded different. I noticed the same with newer 4x12 Greenback cabs (one said "JCM800" on the cornerplate and re-loaded with Greens in the early '90s as said, most surely it's not them Chinese-made speakers) I was offered to play in a couple of gigs recently: my one is from the '70s and still has a better sound. I concluded that in the case of speakers, being badly worn, raped & torn might be a positive disadvantage.
                      Wackor
                      Ørdøg
                      NecroPolo
                      Diabolus in Musica
                      SIDrip Alliance
                      Book of Shadows
                      RKH

Comment

I use an Eminence and a Celestion together in my setup, so there is daily opportunities to compare. The Eminence is a quite cheap one with ceramic magnets, which came stock in mý MusicMan RD 112 50. It sounds bright and brittle and horrible alone on high gain. The Celestion is a GH12B in a small Marshall cabinet, and it´s solid bass and a great sound, especially on high gain. Why do I use the Eminence then? Well, playing a jazz-Strat with a chorus the Eminence brings brightness and air to the Celestion thump and bottom end. The blend sounds great. On high gain on a Les Paul I tend to drop the Eminence though...

Comment

Emminence speakers are my preference. They're a great middle of the road speaker, meaning they sound good reproducing anything. Celestions have always seemed a bit harsh to me with their premature breakup. Plus, if you see Yamaha speakers, they're Emminence, Carvin speakers, also Emminence. They're actually used by so many companies, you can't really count them.
                          www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Working...
                          X