seen a 5150 CHEAP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seen a 5150 CHEAP!

Hey guys, as some of you already know, ive been searching for a new good amp to improve my tone even more

I was recently looking around in the local shop, and say a 5150 combo for 365 bucks. Thats right 3-6-5. I almost flipped! Perfect condition never gigged etc. Now i ask myself should i buy it? Is it that great of a price for this amp? ive always had a kind of attactchment to this amp.

SO what would you guys do? This is assuming i convince my dad to do it. But for 365 marked down from almost 1000 i think hell do it.

Thanks guys- andrew

P.S. If you guys could post any info about the amp as well (as random as you may think it) Thanks again!

Re: seen a 5150 CHEAP!

Better grab it quick!
    Originally posted by The Minstrel
    Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

lol ya basically got the go ahead from my dad!

Im into metal mostly so im guessing this is the right amp for me?

By by 30 watt SS marhsall HELLO 60 watt all tube peavey!

Comment

That's a great amp in it's stock form. Should have more volume and gain than you will ever need. The clean channel is reported by some to be good, and other to be so so. That's not the main reason to buy a 5150 anyhow. $365 is a bargin assuming there is no major damage. Make sure they give you some type of a test period if possible to have it checked out. It would be worth $30 to have an independent tech give it a once thru.

Trace at Voodoo Amps does some fantastic mods to the 5150's to really improve the clean channel and smooth out the od. For the price you're paying, you could have it modded and still only have $750 in it.

Great score.
        My Sound Clips

Comment

thanks jeff, i dunno about mod's ill have to see. Would you feel safe buying from someone with 97 percent positive feedback? I think thats what he has, thats pretty darn good. Is that an extremely unusual price for the 5150? like does it sound like a scam to you?

Thanks- ANdrew

Comment

Andrew -

So far I've had really good luck buying off eBay. I got both my Marshalls that way. If the guy has 97% positive feedback with a bunch of tranactions, that's a pretty good record. Once you start getting into the hundreds of transactions, it's hard to maintain a 100% positive feedback mark. Too many idiots out there.

$365 is a fairly low price, but not totally out of line. Perhaps the guy just wants to move it. Prices seem to fluctuate with regard to what gear is hot right at the moment. It wouldn't seem to be a scam just based on the price. I always at a minimum have an e-mail conversation with people I'm buying from. Just shoot him a few questions about how long he's had the amp, if it was a trade in on something, any known repairs or alterations, ect. If he will speak to you on the phone, that's even better. It's pretty easy to spot BS when you're talking to someone.

Good luck on the amp, and let me know if I can be of any further help.
            My Sound Clips

Comment

Great deal! Get it and see if it's in any way problematic. 5150 is "THE" metal amp, in my opinion. It covers all ground of classic metal to modern. The tone I get from mine is untouchable, none of my modelling stuff can even begin to capture it's sweet tone. I put JJ tubes in mine, and it really smooths out the tone. I think the 5150 is naturally bright and LOUD. The JJ's tame the highs a bit and sweeten the tone. The cleans are actually pretty decent with good tubes, but the distortion is where it's at and I suggest you take full advantage of it!

Have fun, man! Your DiMarzio Super Distortion will SCREAM through that amp. I know mine does!

-Biu
              Watch My Videos
              Photography
              www.myspace.com/thebillyhong
              "Anything worth living for is worth suffering for."

Comment

hah thanks biu!

anywyas hes mostly a buyer apparently, only sold 2 things but i guess that doesnt matter. anyways, this amp is prolly too much for me, but who cares all tube is all tube!

Anyways will it sound good at lower volumes aswell?

thanks

Comment

hey guys, i found another auction.

Main difference is the place, the 365 one is in dallas texas, the 400 one is in ney york. I live in mass. so obviously diff shipping. also the 400 one has casters, and has been sitting for 4 years in his bedroom.

Comment

If you set the volume below 1, it won't sound too good. At that point, the volume is too low to let the true characteristics of the amp shine through. Above 1 is where the sweet-tone starts to come alive a little and continues to open up more the louder you crank it. Of course, above 1 is pretty loud, maybe too loud for bedroom levels!
                    Watch My Videos
                    Photography
                    www.myspace.com/thebillyhong
                    "Anything worth living for is worth suffering for."

Comment

Are you sure that's the price for those amps or are there still days left on the auctions? That sure does sound rather cheap for those amps for a "buy it now" price.

Comment

If its a "Buy it Now" price, then those are great deals. If that's just the current auction price then they will almost certainly go for much more. Many people don't understand fully the ebay concept and get all jazzed when they see a low priced auction (like a $1 Gibson) not realizing that when it's all said and done, the bidders will usually drive it up to current market price. The best deals anymore are to find a freshly listed "Buy it Now" that someone is just trying to move and jump on it first. I scored a 1 year old Gibson Les Paul Classic for $900 that way. I was the #1 viewer on the counter minutes after it listed and I bought it on the spot.

Comment

I got my 5150 off ebay for $380 smackers. It was just missing the 5150 logo..and was scuffed up on the corners, but that didn't bother me. It kills!! I changed the tubes to JJ's...and that sweetens the sound up alot..and a bias mod.....oh......its nice. If i were you i would get it...$365 is a great deal on a great amp!
                          Epiphone Les Paul-100 >Neck/59 Bridge/DD
                          Epiphone Les Paul-Studio >Bridge/JB
                          OLP 4-String Bass> Active Basslines Pup
                          Peavey 5150 Head and 5150 Slant Cab
                          Boss-DD-3~PH-2~BF-2~TR-2
                          Dunlop 535Q Wah~Ernie Ball Volume~Fender PT-10

Phil 4:13
                          I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

~ That verse has helped me make it through everyday of my life. Remember.. God is always there and always will be. He has and always will love you.

Comment

about the starting low and ending high, the auction ends in 10 hours so i think im all set, and someone bidded so its 380 right now, so its all good

Comment

Even if there was 1 hour left i'd say the price will be pretty close to $380...It's not until the last 5 minutes that the price starts to jack up mighty high..
                              Marshall JVM 410C
                              Mesa Boogie DC-3
                              ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
                              1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
                              2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
                              2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
                              1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
                              2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
                              1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Working...
                              X