Ernie Ball Guitars -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ernie Ball Guitars -

My current electric guitar (Mexican made Fender) has done the job for a few years now, but I think its time for me to move on to a higher quality instrument to be able to get a better tone.

So far, the Ernie Ball Silhouette (not the Special) is perfect. It has everything I want: 24 frets, humbuckers in the neck and bridge (PAF Pros ), 25.5 inch scale, and it looks killer. In addition, it does have a single coil, so I can get that sound as well.

However, due to a lack large stores here, I have not been able to play one. I was wondering if anyone out there has played one. I read that Ed Roman is supportive of these guitars, and I find that to be a good sign, But I'll never know till I play one. I suppose their guitars are good, just like the basses, but in the meantime, does anyone have any opinions about them? Thanks.
    woooooo

Re: Ernie Ball Guitars -

I haven't played 'em, but I've heard they have one of the better neck joints ... if I remember correctly, it's like a Fender neck joint, but with slotted, interlocking metal pieces
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
      I haven't played 'em, but I've heard they have one of the better neck joints ... if I remember correctly, it's like a Fender neck joint, but with slotted, interlocking metal pieces
      Ernie ball is a great guitar. I had the Stingray Bass for a long time, but working in a music store, I setup a ton of guitars. Never saw a bad Music Man. All great axe's if they float your boat.

Have you tried a PRS? Custom 22 with the McCarty switching might float your boat. Not Stratty, but they coil split nicely. Just my opinion. No affiliation with anyone.
      Playing:
      Thorn, PRS and Kauer Guitars
      Marshall, Greer amps, Metroamp Home Builds
      Duncan Favorites: SM3, 59's, Sat Night Specials....
      Scumback Speakers, V Picks and various other sundries

Comment

MM guitars are really nice. I have one of their axis guitars and have dreamed many times about getting a Silhouette. The necks on MM guitars are unbeatable! You really need to play one to see what I mean! They are oil/wax finished instead of traditional laquer yucca. this makes them super smooth and comforatble. there really is no substitute for the real feel of the wood that you can get from a MM guitar. The neck joint is nice - five bolts and smoothed over so you can get higher fret access. I don't play that high that often, but when I do it's pretty smooth.

The best part is that they are all made in the US (actually about 2 miles from my house) by a relatively small company. I have toured their factory and it really gave me a feel for the quality of their instruments. You should have seen the perfection they called "blemmished" and were destroying! it was a horror! If

If you do decide to get one, I highly recommend trying it first (even if you have to make a drive). And don't buy one used unless you really get to play it first. Because the necks are only sealed with oil and wax, they can be abused if not taken good care of. It's not a big deal at all, but you don't want to get something that plays like crap because someone else beat the thing.

good luck!
        Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

I own a silo special...wonderful instrument, but i would stay away from the Ed Roman knockoffs. I did take out the HSS pickups and put in 2 HBs...very nice!
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Ernie Ball MM guitars are superb. I played my friend's EVH model (now the Axis) a couple of nights ago, and it is the finest shredder guitar I've ever played.

I recommend the Axis and Axis Sport over the silhouette, but all the MM guitars I've played have been superb quality.
            Originally posted by Jolly
            ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

I've played several EB/MM guitars and all I can say is, really nice. As someone said earlier, don't buy until you play, but I really like them a lot. IMO, as good as anything on the market right now, and better than most. I wouldn't put a lot of stock in what Ed Roman says, he has his own perspective, which is usually unique to only him. People bash him for ranting on his website, but his website is his to do with what he wishes. I just don't have the same perspective that he does.

Comment

ONe thing i liked about ernie ball guitars are that they are VERY light. And somewhat smaller than most guitars. The pick ups are not bad either i think they are dmarzios but u can always switch em up for duncans. I was thinking about owning one of the silo specials but in the end i decided to save up and buy a gibson les paul cuz thats what felt right for me. If the ernieball feels right go with it and dont look back.
                Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

Also as a bonus the enrie ball axes come with schaller locking tuners!
                  Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

Thanks guys, I really want to try a Silhouette Special myself (I'm really starting to like the whole H-S-S thing).

Right now I'm saving money for a Grosh (a 2 grand strat ain't cheap), but if I can find an incredible guitar for much cheaper, I just might consider it
                    Originally posted by kevlar3000
                    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                    Originally posted by Zerberus
                    Better is often the enemy of good
                    Originally posted by ginormous
                    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

......I was gonna wait and see what the replies were on this topic before I responded....

As the owners of two EBMM Axis guitars, I can tell you this:

They are made of the highest craftsmanship I've known.

The standard Axis with a Floyd is louder (oddly enough) and has more bass and treble than the Axis Super Sport (stop-tail).

Yet the Axis Super Sport rings "truer" acoustically, and electrically. It really took me a while to get a grip on this. My Floyd-equipped Axis is actually louder, in spite of the Floyd. I suspect this is because stainless steel transmits more sustain, bass, and treble than other metals.

However, the stoptail Axis Super Sport sounds more "musical". The vintage trem on this guitar is indeed steel, but coated with chrome. It's my suspicion that *THAT* is what leads to the more "musical" difference in tone between the two.

Moving on......

Both guitars are fine, fine instruments. I'm actually preparing to install jumbo frets on my Super Sport as we speak. I'm a fast player, and really ripping on the upper frets has become a chore on my forearms, with the short frets and all. If you've seen EVH live, you know that rips more than he does on any recent album. This is simply too difficult to duplicate "on-demand" without tons of practice, which I don't have time for anymore.

If anybody owns a stoptail Axis, and wants to swap for a Floyd Axis, lemme know......

Comment

Wow, that SS may be what I want after all. I guess I could change out the pups to the ones Grosh has and have a killer guitar at a not so killer price. I love the body shape and the cosmetics to the SS, so it might not be so bad. However, just how good these necks are is to be seen. The Grosh has the best neck I've ever played by far (I've played a lot of guitars), so Ernie Ball is going up against some heavy competition
                        Originally posted by kevlar3000
                        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                        Originally posted by Zerberus
                        Better is often the enemy of good
                        Originally posted by ginormous
                        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I had the chance to get a sparkle white Silhouette once for $700 and I didn't do it. STUPID!!!

I love music man guitars, ESPECIALLY the silhouettes. The necks on them are just AWESOME they're 1 5/8ths wide, which is just a teensy bit smaller than the 1 11/14th most guitars have and they're not an Ibanez Wizard but slightly les than a Strat... feels PERFECT!!

The pickups on them sound good, and the bodies are comfortable and light. I'm a smaller guy with small hands and these guitars suit me perfectly. I love it!

One of these days I'll save up and buy one.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnJohn

PS they mod nice too
                            Along these lines, check out how I modded my Silo Special (towards the bottom of the page):
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Haven't tried one, but they look cool as hell.
                              Especially the Silhouette.
                              "Dave, what are your thoughts on AIDS?"
                              "You're talking about sex, right? Hell, i don't need no aids!" -Dave Mustaine

Comment

Working...
                              X