Fret buzz problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fret buzz problem

Hey guys, I'm having a problem with my Wolfgang. I can get it set up exactly the way I like it, but I get a very noticeable buzz on the B and high E strings when playing the 14th fret note. I get no buzz anywhere else on the neck. It's not a truss rod problem, and I can't get the buzz to go away unless I raise the bridge to a ridiculously high level. I can see that the string is very close to touching the 15th fret when I play the 14th fret note, and as soon as I play it, the string vibrates against the 15th fret, killing my sustain and making a noticeable buzzing sound. Is it possible that the 15th fret is a little too tall? Could I gently file it down a very small amount, or would this cause intonation problems and buzzing at the 16th fret? I'm pretty experienced with guitar setups, but I'm stumped on this one. Thanks.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Hmm.......sounds like taking a file to it might help.

Comment

I have the same problem on my archtop. The whole guitar is great, except for the 11th fret on the high E string. What a terrible place for a buzz!!! My tech told me I'd need to do a fret dress to properly address it, but I'm hanging on to my cash for the moment....

Comment

sounds like you've got a tall fret .. or you've worn down the 12,13 14 .. frets to the point where you getting buzz above that spot.

or #15 has raised.

find a short straight edge [stewmacs fret-rocker] short engough so that it will sit on only 3 frets at a time a credit gard can work but it not very precise..

work your way up the neck 3 frets at a time and check for any "rocking" [like a teeder totter] .. this should help you pinpoint the problematic fret[s] ..

also look at where the frets meets the fretboard for any signs of gappage or lifting .. frets do work loose and rise sometimes.

sounds like you probably need a level and dress ..

hope this helps ~G
        Last edited by orbiter; 03-18-2004, 09:25 AM.
        "I don't care if you boo .. just boo in key!" JH

Pups ~> duncan ~ WCR ~ VOODOO by Peter Florance!

Guitars ~> Gibson ~ G&L ~ Guild ~ Fender ~ ESP ~ Heritage

Comment

The thing is, there's pretty much zero fretwear on this guitar. The fact that it's happening at only one spot on the nck leads me to believe it's most likely a tall fret.

Ryan

Comment

yup, it sounds like your 15th fret might be too tall. does it only buzz on the 14th fret?

Comment

Originally posted by rspst14
              The thing is, there's pretty much zero fretwear on this guitar. The fact that it's happening at only one spot on the nck leads me to believe it's most likely a tall fret.

Ryan
              new guitars can have tall frets.

I just leveled a usa strat that was outta the box and needing some love.
              it's not too uncommon on mass produced guitars.

so .. if you can do the rocker trick . you should find the problem. or take it to a pro for an evaluation.

but do look closely to be sure the frets are seated properly ..

~G

Comment

Hmm, you know what I just noticed? The Floyd Rose nut is developing grooves in it from the strings. So the strings are a bit lower at the nut than they probably should be. Could this cause a buzz that far down on the neck? I do have an extra Floyd nut lying around, so I'm going to put that one on and see if it makes a difference.

Ryan

Comment

I did the credit card trick on my buzzy archtop and notices 2 high frets, one of which is the 12th fret(my 11th buzzes). I'm sure this is causing the problem. Do I need a totally redress/level, or can this one fret be fixed? Is this something I can do myself, or do I need a big time pro to file this fret down for me?

Thanks!

Comment

Yeah, I'd be interested in finding out too...it looks like I've got a high fret too.

Ryan

Comment

Hmm...I looked at it again and the bass side of the fret is fine, its only the treble side. I flipped the guitar over and it looks like the fret is coming up a bit. Can I hammer it down, and if so, whats the best way to do this?

Mike

Comment

hammer

setter

this is a good way to go about reseating a fret.

Comment

Thanks...any way to do it without spending $40?

Comment

anytime bro,

well .. you could try to gently tap it back in w/ a hammer made for striking metal .

but fretwork is tricky ... so it might be worth having a pro dail it in for you..

~G

Comment

Working...
                            X