relic work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• relic work

do you guys know of any sites etc that will give me some steps on how to relic my tele?

Re: relic work

No website needed. Here are the rules:

1. Throw down stairs three times

2. Jump on it twice

3. Tie it to your car bumper and drag it along the road for twelve minutes

And you'll have a reliced tele!!!! Or a tele in pieces....
    There's nothing quite as satisfying as a dancing banana...

Comment

well, Lew posted one reference site on his "Roy Buchanon" thread

(see reply #5)

I haven't seen butnut post recently - he's the master of tele-relic'ing around here, and he might be able to steer you in the right direction ...

I know I recently read an article by the guy who started the relics for Fender - he was contracted for a while until Fender took over production ... sorry, I don't have a site for that, though
      Last edited by Curly; 05-03-2004, 02:00 PM.
      "music heals"
      facebook

Comment

well I started it and I must so this is fun as hell... just beating the hell outta' a guitar lol. I will post pics when it is all done. Thanx for the tips guys.

Comment

Throw it

Kick it

Beat it with a chain (Fender uses this technique I'm told)

Some people like to light it on fire to burn the finish (don't do this with the neck still on)
          || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
            Throw it

Kick it

Beat it with a chain (Fender uses this technique I'm told)

Some people like to light it on fire to burn the finish (don't do this with the neck still on)
            how did you know my method? well so much for copyright

Comment

Light it on fire and put it out with a bag full of nickel's........oh wait, that's the receipe for re-creating Tommy Lee Jones face.
              My Sound Clips

Comment

here's the article on the guy who did Fender's first relics:
                Relics
                "music heals"
                facebook

Comment

Hi, I'm a new member from Spain

well, here we have a forum called www.guitarramania.com for those who speak spanish.

To help you in your work or give you an idea there are this web page:

This page is made for a guy called Ruben Hernández a bbbbbiiiiigggg "telefreak", if you don't understand spanish you can view the pics, are very interesting.
                  http://serdito.cjb.net
                  http://serdito.tripod.com/serdaweb

- Fender Telescaster Americna Standard (Kent Armstrong Pickups, Classic PAF & Hot Rails)
                  - Custom Fat Strat
                  - Laney VC30 1x12 Amp
                  - Morley Wha/Volumen/Distortion

Comment

Kool site serdito, I would'nt pencil in a date like he did, but some good pics for ideas.

Gibson KS 336, LP Standard, Special and Customs
                    Bogner, Orange, Tech 21 and Fender amps
                    Celestion speakers
                    Duncan, Bare Knuckle, WCR and Gibson pups
                    Too many pedals....

Comment

I reliced a sunburst strat once. To dull the finish I made a mixture of toothpaste and Comet, then rubbed the body with a rag till it looked 20 yrs old. I'd dissassemble the guitar, if you want to do it right, first. Then, I took the body and simulated arm wear by rubbing that spot on carpet till the finish started to look naturally worn. Don't overdo it, or it will look fake. Then, with some tools, create a few realistic looking chips and dings. Put it in the freezer, then throw it out in the hot sun a few times, to get some finish checking. Do the same scouring technique on the pickguard to remove it's shiny appearance, then heat up some yellow curry mixed with tobacco you buy at the drugstore in a bag. Let all the plastic parts soak in that for days. Go as dramatic as possible, because when the plastic parts fade, they'll look just right.
                      Let a cigarrette burn down on the headstock (optional). Aging the hardware is up to you. I haven't done it, but I'm sure you could get it to oxidize by leaving it wrapped up in some dank, damp towels in a bucket. Good luck. Have fun. It really is fun, just don't overdo it. Go a little at a time.
                      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                      X