Head case - Your thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head case - Your thoughts?

Hey guys, I've been starting to take my DSL 50 head around to band practices more lately, and i usually sit it in the trunk or the backseat of the car. It bounces around alot, and the reverb springs just go crazy. I was wondering if you guys think it would be a good investment to buy a head case now, or just let the head tough it out. Thanks.
    Marshall JCM2000 DSL50 Head!
    Avatar 4x12 Slant Cab w/ 2 V12's and 2 GB12's
    Schecter 006 Elite w/ Duncan Custom
    Fender Std. Strat w/ Invader

Re: Head case - Your thoughts?

If you're just doing local shows, where you move the amp, I'd suggest spending
    about $50 on a Tuki padded head cover. They protect the amp perfectly, are a lot less heavy and cumbersome to move around, and you can toss them behind you're amp at rehearsal and shows. If you do decide to get a roadcase, there's a Canadian
    roadcase company in all sections of Ebay that is the cheapest and best I've seen.
    I have one of those for my Bogner. They're even cheaper with shipping than you'll find locally with sales tax. I paid $182 shipped, for mine. I'd go with the tukicovers.com
    padded cover, tho. So much easier to carry!
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
      If you do decide to get a roadcase, there's a Canadian
      roadcase company in all sections of Ebay that is the cheapest and best I've seen.
      No matter what piece of musical gear I search for on Ebay.....those dudes always seem to pop up

Comment

IMO, a case isn't going to protect if from serious bouncing around, least not the insides!

But, you ought to get one if you want to keep your head in great shape.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

I don't have a case for my amp head. It's rough and I know it's gonna last. It's gonna move a little in a car, period. You can't protect the insides with a case, so why bother? (that's how I feel anyways) What drives me nuts is that metal "clank" sound from the metal enforcement things that keep my tubes in place.
          Originally posted by kevlar3000
          I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
          Originally posted by Zerberus
          Better is often the enemy of good
          Originally posted by ginormous
          Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I have to say moving My DSL50 in a car is the most frustrating thing ever.... although its only the reveb tank rattling like hell it sounds like the whole thing is going to fall apart and explode or something...

It's so horrible...
            Marshall JVM 410C
            Mesa Boogie DC-3
            ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
            1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
            2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
            2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
            1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
            2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
            1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Well.... IMO, if you've got an amp you really love, and plan to keep for a long time, its is WELL worth your money to invest in a case for it... thats the reason my '66 bassman is a perfect '10'... It still may not protect the insides perfectly, but i think its a good security measure to have, anyway. And, if its got a thick foam lining, it does cut down vibration, which i guess would protect the inside a bit....

Something to consider, the case for my halfstack is custom made, so its not a seperate case for the head and cab, but there's a cutout in the foam inside so you can leave the head attached... that makes it really easy, and you move it around even less, and therefore run even less chance of something happening to it. But then, my head actually screws onto the cab, i don't know if this sort of setup would work for a head that just sits on top of the cab...
              '01 Gibson Les Paul Standard (stock BB V's)
              Squier Fat Strat (stock/duckbucker/stock)
              '66 Fender Bassman
              Fender Champion 600
              Fender Stage 100

Comment

I've been dragging my heads to gigs for years without a case ... I WOULD like to get a double floated, fully isolated flight case, tho. But, aside from that, a case will only keep your head from getting scratched, not from getting serious damage.
                Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

If yer on the Road, it's a Must !!!!
                  Only The Strong Survive

Comment

I have a roadcase for the head and tuki cover for the 4-12.
                    Tuki covers aren't as cheap as I'd like them to be, but they are built tough enough for gigging. They also have a velcro strap across the bottom.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot! Marshall makes a soft padded headcase with a telescoping handle, just like suitcases. Those look perfect for your needs!
                    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                    X