banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't choose an amp for me.. Help!!!! ENGL or BOGNER or MARSHAL ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can't choose an amp for me.. Help!!!! ENGL or BOGNER or MARSHAL ??

I've always gotten everything I need from my Marshall's. Can't see any need to use anything else at this point.
    Only The Strong Survive

Comment

I know I rambled about the Ecstasy, but the fact is, you don't NEED an amp like that to have great tone. Some of the greatest tones in history came out of plain old Marshall, Fenders, and Vox's. It's all in how you setup you own rig. With the right guitar, pickups, amps, and pedals, the world of tone is infinite. I admit, I'm spoiled but I could just as easily plug into a 5150 next to a Hotrod Deville and get a great tone out of it. It's a simple as having a few quality components in your rig, and eliminating the weak links.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Gearjoneser, with the boost features... can you get the type of versatility I am looking for?

Chimey Fender cleans boosted to a bluesy overdrive, a light crunch that can be boosted to something like a Marshall plexi, and a high gain channel that can be boosted to a wicked solo tone?

I have no doubt that with all the bells and whistles a Bogner has, I could nail a ton of probably the best sounds I've ever heard. However, how does all that translate live? I do use different tones for different parts and more than 3 main tones is needed. I wouldn't have time in between songs to mess with a million knobs, no matter how great the tone is. That would be my only concern. I don't tapdance with footswitches and that isn't my intent, but some songs you want to be really clean, some you want to have a thick bluesy overdriven tone, some you want a light crunch for strumming, some modern rock distortion, some heavy distortion.
        Originally posted by kevlar3000
        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
        Originally posted by Zerberus
        Better is often the enemy of good
        Originally posted by ginormous
        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

In a live situation, you pretty much need to have your 3 channels set like you're favorite 3 amps. Then, if you need more than a few db boost, you'll have to resort to pedals. If the clean can be set from anything from punchy power section clean to a JMP Marshall, the blue ch. can be anything from a clean plexi to G. Lynch, and the red channel can be anything from Gibbons, Zakk, and Paul Gilbert, you've pretty much covered it all. The hard part, for me, is deciding if the blue channel should be a plexi or modded JCM 800 type tone. 4 channels would be ideal, but if you have a good OD, you can make the clean, edgy...the blue hotrodded, and the red channel into infinite liquid sustain. I'm sure you could do that on your Triamp. If you just set the channels where you like them, and get a killer OD, you should be able to cover everything. Your rig is perfectly capable of what you need,
          just add an OD or two.

Comment

ENGL of course, although i havent played a bogner and they're supposed to be pretty darn stompin too! Both of them would no doubt crap all over a TSL. But there are other marshalls (old ones) you could consider like a decent modded JCM800 of plexi....stay away from modern marshalls though, thats what i think anyway and i know lots of people here will dissagree but it sounds like you're after a pretty heavy tone by the mention of ENGL and Bogner, and to my ears the modern marshalls just arent my cup of tea.

I rekon you should go the ENGL without a doubt

(as if any of you expected me to recommend anything else )
            My Soundclick page.

Comment

Good advice Gearjoneser, I may need to still consider getting one (although, I know it's not gonna be for a loooonggg time). My Tubescreamer would probably work on the clean channel to give me what I want. As far as the heavier stuff, I'm sure a Klon Centaur would adjust the gain properties without changing the tone.
              Originally posted by kevlar3000
              I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
              Originally posted by Zerberus
              Better is often the enemy of good
              Originally posted by ginormous
              Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Depends on your perspective. Obviously, the music you're playing and the sound you ar after will dictate to a large degree, as will the cost, but I'd also add WHERE are you going to be playing? If you're playing in your bedroom or round some mates places, any of those amp choices are insane!! If you intend to gig, the only thing I'll add is I would be a lot happier with som pissed ****head spilling beer into my $800 second hand JCM800, than into a $5000 Bogner...

..just another thought to ponder...
                'No matter how hot and sexy any woman looks, some guy, somewhere, is tired of putting up with her sh#t..'

Comment

Duncan, I know what you mean! I've gigged for two years with my halfstack and don't have ONE blemish on the whole halfstack. It's a feat of magic to keep it pristine.
                  Basically, nobody touches it or moves it till it's in cases. Then, at gigs, I pull it out, set it up, and don't let people touch it. I NEVER leave it at a soundcheck unsupervised. I kinda sucks to have to be that careful, but the one I have is the most collectible of the bunch. I own it to use it, but it would sicken me if it got damaged.

One day, I came into my rehearsal place and saw that the singer in the other band in my space had stacked 3 guitar cases on my head. I had nightmares that night!
                  It'll never happen again, tho. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                    Duncan, I know what you mean! I've gigged for two years with my halfstack and don't have ONE blemish on the whole halfstack. It's a feat of magic to keep it pristine.
                    Basically, nobody touches it or moves it till it's in cases. Then, at gigs, I pull it out, set it up, and don't let people touch it. I NEVER leave it at a soundcheck unsupervised. I kinda sucks to have to be that careful, but the one I have is the most collectible of the bunch. I own it to use it, but it would sicken me if it got damaged.

One day, I came into my rehearsal place and saw that the singer in the other band in my space had stacked 3 guitar cases on my head. I had nightmares that night!
                    It'll never happen again, tho. LOL
                    Gearjoneser, what tubes?

And question for europeans: Do you know where in europe i can find and try a Bogner Ecstasy ( i mean store )??

Q3, to all: Does 50W Bogner Ecstasy head has the same features as 100w head..

Comment

Working...
                    X