banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Attenuator... THD Hotplate, Weber MASS, or Marshall Power Brake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Attenuator... THD Hotplate, Weber MASS, or Marshall Power Brake?

I've got a Mesa Dual Rect pushing a 4x12 celestion cab and I live above a neighbor who goes to sleep at 9pm!!! Guess who needs a power attenuator!!

Needless to say I NEVER get the opportunity to enjoy the sweet spot of my Mesa (right around 8 on the dial!!) I can't take it anymore... those tubes need to burn!!! So I've done a little research on them. Mostly what I've read (Legendary Tone, Harmony Central...) says that the inferior of the 3 is the Marshall Power Brake. Basically sucks your tone away. The THD Hotplate and the Weber MASS are the 2 best as far as I can tell. The Weber is cheaper and uses an actuall speaker as the load... which is cool. But the Hotplate has some pretty cool features like noise reduction, a cooling fan, and a bass/treble boost.

So who's used any of these 3? Which would better suit my amp? Are there other brands I should be looking at?
    1978 Lefty Gibson Les Paul Custom (C5 bridge, Jazz neck) with Jimmy Page wiring
    1996 Lefty Fender Jazzmaster (w/ SD Antiquity IIs)
    2003 Lefty Taylor 414RCE (Rosewood Limited Edition with Expression System)
    Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier 3-channel through Marshall 1960A cabinet via THD HotPlate
    Effects: Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah, Fulltone DejaVibe, Maxon Rotary Phaser (PH-350), Boss DD6, Boss RC20 LoopStation, BBE Sonic Stomp

Re: Best Attenuator... THD Hotplate, Weber MASS, or Marshall Power Brake?

A friend of mine asked me something similar to this the other day;

----------

Originally posted by Posted by friend
    Q: Do you always use your HotPlates or do you sometimes just lower the volume?
    Originally posted by Originally posted by screamingdaisy
    Lower the volume? Why in the hell would I do that??? It?s a tube amp; just play it loud!

Despite what I said above, I do sometimes just lower the volume.

Treat it just like with a master volume. If you always left your master volume at 2 and used the preamp gain knob to clean up your sound, your cleans would be too quiet. It?s the same with the Hotplate. If you want a nice bluesy clean, you have to turn the gain down and adjust the Hot Plate up (louder) to maintain a comfortable listening level. When I first started using it I couldn?t figure out why my clean channel sucked so badly (when attenuated). It was because I had the attenuation up to high, and kept leaving the guitar on 10 and increasing the gain and/or channel master and/or output to compensate for the lack of volume. Now, I usually set the attenuator at either -12db or -8db (depending on the time of day) and roll my guitar down to around 4-6 when I?m playing clean or mildly overdriven. When playing with high gain however, I have no choice but to put it down to -16 or lower, unless it?s during the afternoon.

I do have good neighbours however (who own their own loud stereos), so sometimes I just set it to 0db and shake, rattle, and roll.
    --------------

I recommend the Hot Plate to everyone. It's the best bit of cash anyone with a tube amp can spend. You can also use the Hot Plate as a high quality DI box, and it'll split your signal into two cabs if you need it to. You can impedance mis-match a Hot Plate, as long as the impedance is higher than the output on your amp, it just makes the tone controls less effective. This is useful if you sometimes play with either a full or half-stack.

I've heard and read mostly bad comments on the Marshall Power Brake. It's design is too old and out-dated.

I've heard the Webber Mass is good, but has a lack of features. I haven't done any research into it.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Power brake bad.

Dr Z Airbrake. I'm happy with.

FYI AIken is coming out with one soon. Randall is cool, I expect it to be the best of the bunch.

No affiliation with anyone.
      Playing:
      Thorn, PRS and Kauer Guitars
      Marshall, Greer amps, Metroamp Home Builds
      Duncan Favorites: SM3, 59's, Sat Night Specials....
      Scumback Speakers, V Picks and various other sundries

Comment

I say THD hotplate
        played on my friend's with a...i think it was a single recto....

the extra features are definately worth the money

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike Blues
          Power brake bad.

Dr Z Airbrake. I'm happy with.

FYI AIken is coming out with one soon. Randall is cool, I expect it to be the best of the bunch.

No affiliation with anyone.

Right on! I'm waiting for the Aiken Afterburner myself... looks vastly superior to every other attenuator out there. I think the Weber MASS is the next best thing though.
          Originally posted by kevlar3000
          I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
          Originally posted by Zerberus
          Better is often the enemy of good
          Originally posted by ginormous
          Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I tried the THD and the Weber. Liked em both, but I just don't play that Hard.
            Only The Strong Survive

Comment

I've got a Weber MASS and it's a great tool.

A word of warning though, even with an attenuator, I wouldn't expect a decent tone at 'bedroom' levels. With my MASS on 1 (max attenuation), I get something that resembles a large, angry wasp trapped in a large jam jar. I need it on at least 4 to get the speakers working a bit, and with the amp on 9-10 that's still pretty loud! I'm thinking of getting a cab loaded with 30 watt celestions so I can a bit of speaker break up at lower levels. I'll have to save my 75 watters for gigs!

Comment

I heard the Dr. Z Air Brake is good, and that it is safe on your amp. I haven't used one though. It has also had good reviews.
                Egnater M4 (2) Recto, Blackface, Plexi
                VHT 2502
                (2) Randal XLT 4X12
                (2) Jackson SL2H USA Soloist (SH-1n, TB-6b)
                Jackson SL1 (Classic Stack, Classic Stack, TB-6b)
                Keeley TS-9 Mod Plus & TS-9 Baked Mod
                http://www.robertkeeley.com
                Line 6 Echo Pro and Mod Pro
                Chandler Digital Echo Delay

Comment

Your master V will do a better job at extremely low levels, a Rect just ain't a good apartment amp. I have a Mass and love it, but I think a MV will be quieter
                  ]
                  FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
                  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

I tried the Marshall powerbrake on my JTM 45 with 4x12 greenbacks loaded but wasn't satisfied with it . It fattened and compressed the tone, the amp lose it's brightness and punch .

I tried the THD but not on my 4x12 because it was an 8 ohms model . The result was great and the tone kept its characteristics.

I nerver tried the Mass Weber , not easy to procure in France !!!
                    Pickups used :
                    Les Paul: A2'59/'PGn ; SP90-1/SP90-1
                    PRS Santana 1: Phat Cats
                    PRS CU22 : SLb/'59n ; A2'59b/PGn ; Phat Cats
                    PRS McCarty : A2P/A2P ; SL/SL
                    PRS Singlecut : Ant/Ant ; SLb/59n
                    PRS Modern Eagle : SLb/Antn
                    PRS Hollow : Ant/Ant
                    PRS Mc Soap : SP90-1/SP90-3 ;SP90-1/SP90-1/SP90-3
                    PRS Mc Deluxe : Antiquity II minis
                    Strat : APS1TwBg/APS1rwrp/APS1T; APS1TwBg/SSL1rwrp/SSL1;Antiquity II Set;Antiquity Texas Hot Set
                    Teles : 59b/PGn ; Ant set ; JDb/SSL1rwrp/SSL1
                    SG : SP90-1/SP90-1

Comment

Powerbrake fan here. Work perfectly and doesn't suck tone as long as you use it sparingly. If you crank a 100watt Marshall and use maximum attenuation, then like any attenuator, it will sound crap. I use it to drop down only a couple of notches. Just allows me to drive the tubes harder without any negative side effects to my tone...
                      'No matter how hot and sexy any woman looks, some guy, somewhere, is tired of putting up with her sh#t..'

Comment

If you're about to spend $240 on an attenuator for a Mesa Halfstack in an apartment, I think your money would be better spent on a Modeling amp head, to use with your Mesa cab. That way, you have a nice sounding low volume rig and a high volume rig for places where it can be loud. No matter what your opinion is of modeling amps, they excell far beyond a tube amp in a low volume apartment situation. Even by attenuating my loud amps, they don't equal the great tones I get from my Vox AD60 head on my Jubilee 4-12. When I knock it down to the 6 watt setting, I get any tone I want at a volume that neighbors can't even hear! Also, the recording out lets me
                        track in the middle of the night without even a peep coming outta the amp.
                        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I've been using the same Powerbrake for 20 years with my 2204 and it works just fine for me. Like Duncan says, no attenuator sounds good at bedroom levels. I rarely go more than -12 db, usuall -8, and my tone doesn't seem to suffer, in fact I get a lot of compliments on it. I agree with Gearjonser though, a modeling head would work better for the situation you describe, you'll get a lot better sounding distortion at low volume that way.

Comment

So.. are attentuators used more for controlling gig volume then (like when the cab is miced or something)? I had always thought it was for getting better bedroom level sounds, but judging by the posts here I was way off base.
                            -Alex

*Proud Owner and Player of Guage guitars, Warmoth guitars, and Orange amps*

Originally posted by HamerPlyr
                            I'm already wearing the costume, and Fredericks of Hollywood on the corset and also on the panties, which, of course, have the "convenience crotch".

Comment

Originally posted by Fatty
                              So.. are attentuators used more for controlling gig volume then (like when the cab is miced or something)? I had always thought it was for getting better bedroom level sounds, but judging by the posts here I was way off base.
                              When in clubs you can't always blare you 100w (or even 50w) amp at full volume. Having an attenuator means you can still saturate your tubes, and not make enemies with the sound man and club manager.
                              || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Working...
                              X