My Acoustic Search Part III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Acoustic Search Part III

Well, I finally kicked the plague I've had for over a month now & was able to get out & play some guitars yesterday.

The Seagulls were nice, but like someone said in an earlier post, the fingerboard is a little wide...at least for my taste/hand.

I played a Godin Multiac Steel Duet that was super sweet. It's Godins version of the Gibson/Epi Chet Atkins type acoustic/electric, but it's over $1000.00, sounded O.K. unplugged so it would need to be plugged in...I've already got one of those that I'm trying to replace!

Moved along to the dreaded GC.............

Played a fantastic Tacoma that was on close-out $499.99 w/case marked down from $999.00 Anyone play any of these? I forget which model, but is was sweet....

Played a Martin Auditorium (?) marked down to $899.99 which didn't sound amazing...I'm guessing it's another that thrives on being plugged in! Good resale value if it comes to that though....

Played a handful of Taylors: the lower end were O.K./top end were sweet, but.....BIG MONEY !!

Moved along to a Gretsch Heritage Edition.....semi-interesting: nice sound/tone...nice price.

And then I played a few Takamines !!!!!

The 3 I played were equally as sweet & ranged from $799.00 to $999.00. A little more than I was planning to spend, but they were, or atleast seemed, to be worth it! I think I'm settling in on the EF341SC...

I wish it wasn't black though (Is that stupid?) because fingerprints show big time!

Another thing I really liked on the Taks, which is probably a stupid thing too: they have onboard tuners! Nothing like sitting in the backyard gazebo playing along & being able to tune it up to whatever I want right then & there!

There are still a few more that I'd like to play, but so far, the Tak is in the lead!!!

Any other recommendations???????????????
    Last edited by PUCKBOY99; 03-18-2004, 08:12 AM.

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
    Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
    FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

i knew you'd come to your senses...!!!

Originally posted by jeremy
    God hates bad guitar tone
    GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
    AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
    EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
    Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

The Bottom line is how much do you want to spend? Remember you get what you pay for!

1. Try Guilds. They are now owned by Fender, They are one of the most road worthy acoustics made period.

2. Martin OM 18. Mahogany back& sides, abut 1500. but well worth it.
      3. For Less money you can get the Martin D15 or OM 15. ALL Mahogany . about 600 to 800
      4. Taylors are not my favorite acoustics (IMO) They are a great acoustic for electric players. Well made but i find them to be bright.
      5. Probably two of the best made and sounding acoustics are Santa Cruz & Collings, either one of those builders would be the best acoustic you will ever play (except maybe for a pre war Martin) Very expensive!!

You will notice that I have not mentioned how they sound "plugged" An acoustic will always sound best unplugged. I play several different acoustics and when I need the guitar to be louder, I use a Mike in front of the soundhole!! Much of this will depend on what you are going to play and at what volume you will need to play at. If you are playing with a full band, you will need to plug in to the board. If you are going to use this to record Focus on how the instrument will sound "unplugged" Thats what you will hear on the recordings. Listen to any Leo Kotke CD Most of his recording was done with a Mike in front of the sound hole! Pick up a copy of Acoustic Guitar magazine and read through any of the interviews with these great acoustic players to get an idea of what the pros are doing!!
      IMO buy American. The best acoustic Guitars are made right here in the good ols USA!!!!!
      "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

best thing about dark guitars is you can keep them nice and clean looking, thats how i look at it! lol....

anywho, enjoy the hunt! its always fun...

only thing i would add is dont buy online unless you get a super killer deal, because, especially with acoustic guitars ive found, they range in tone literally from guitar to guitar.
        esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
        fender mim standard strat
        peavey classic 30
        johnson j-station
        original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
        dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
        yamaha f-310p acoustic
        taylor 410 acoustic
        "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Check out a NORMAN ST68 . I was acoustic shopping 2 years ago with a similar budget to yours and fell in love with one. You can't get a better sounding guitar for tthe $$$ IMO. Solid Rosewood back and solid Spruce top which is the best combo of woods for an acoustic. You can find them on e-bay for around $5-600 once in a while. Their lower model (B-20) is a great lower priced alternative. I honestly can't say enough about how great this guitar is.
          :afro:

Comment

Hey Fellas....thanks for the comments! Let's see:

Hoss: Yeah, I'm coming around!

BluDave: I'm still looking. I'd like to keep it under $1000.00 if I can. I'm not a pro & I really can't see paying any more than I have to. I understand I'm not gonna get quality cheap, but the Takamine's I've played sounded nicer than the handful of Martins & a Gibson I played. The higher end Taylors are sweet, but again...the PRICE !!! AND DEFINITELY unplugged is the way to go. I'm sure a lot of the ones I didn't really care for sounded great plugged in, but I haven't plugged in a single one. I want one that sounds good & projects w/o the help of an amp.

I want to try some Guilds & a few others before deciding, but right now, I like the Tak EF341SC or EAN40C...

Xerxes: No way on buying on line. I want to play the guitar first! I was positive the Seagull was for me & could've had a few good deals online, but after playing a few of them, it was a good thing I waited!

AmpliFIRE: I played a Norman but I'm not sure what model. It was just O.K. Didn't really do anything for me...sorry!

Thanks again guys...I played a few more today, but pretty much the same results!

Keep'em coming !!!!

Comment

I really like a lot of Alvarez's stuff.

I second the Guilds. The one I tried, while the fingerboard was a little narrow for my taste, has great tone, construction, and playability. The tone beat the Taylors, Gibsons, and Martins I was playing before.

My next purchase (after my amp tubes) is going to be an Alvarez AJ-60SC, best jumbo around for the money IMHO (beats out most other guitars I've played and other jumbos like the Washburn Cumberland Jumbo look silly in comparison).

I really like Takamine's stuff as well. I think all their acoustics have pretty great tone. The first guitar I ever really picked up was a Jasmine by Takamine acoustic and it wasn't too bad.
              Originally posted by kevlar3000
              I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
              Originally posted by Zerberus
              Better is often the enemy of good
              Originally posted by ginormous
              Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

martin d-15, om-15, or try some of the 18 series. martin is a great company, and they make great products, and just because u buy a lower end guitar they dont treat you like a lower end customer.

takoma's i thought were nice when i was looking, but they didnt do it for me.

guilds are very very solid, great sounding, great guitars. tooo pricey for me tho.

alvarez's, well im big on made in usa, but they are damn good guitars, to bright foir me....
                Godin SDXT - 59-ClassicStack-JB
                Martin D-15 - Fishman Neo-D
                Boss BD-2 - MXR dynacomp - Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 - Morley A/B/Y
                Crate VC-3112
                Brownsville NY J-Bass Copy
                Fender Bassman 60

Comment

Martin. Live it, learn it.

The best for the cheapest is the DR (dreadnaught rosewood)
                  Called the "poorman's D-28" because it sounds almost as good
                  at a fraction of the price. The laminated rosewood sides, spruce top, and rosewood fretboard put it's tone in the $1500+ range
                  and they can be had for $650 used/$900 new.

Or, treat yourself and find a new/used D-28. Everytime I play mine, I'm amazed at it's tone. I finally got it playing like butter.
                  Once I install the new Duncan/Turner DTAR acoustic system, I'm
                  gonna be set for life. Martins need to be setup better than the factory setup, but once they are, they're untouchable.
                  Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                  I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Thanks again for the comments guys !

I'm going to a place next week that carries both Alvarez & Guild, along with the new Greg Bennet Samick line & the Deans....

Gearjoneser...maybe that's the problem I had with the Martins; the set-up didn't seem to be in line with a guitar of that price & reputation. Honestly, I wasn't impressed...and I really thought I'd fall in love & do something stupid like buy a $1600.00 guitar!
                    Actually, GC had a nice close-out sale on a lot of top model acoustics all priced under $1000.00, but I kept going back to the Takamine !

Anyway, next week I'll check that other place out & test drive a few more.

Comment

imo, dont waste your time with the deans. imo, i hated them. you might like em though, but just my .02$. I know someone that has a greg bennet samick acoustic and loves it. i havent played it yet though................
                      peavey classic 30
                      johnson j-station
                      yamaha f-310p acoustic
                      taylor 410 acoustic
                      "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

CHECK THIS OUT:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3712414698&indexURL=3# ebayphotohosting

Comment

that looks sweet. im just wondering why it says yamaha (or looks a lot like that) on the inner sticker.
                          peavey classic 30
                          johnson j-station
                          yamaha f-310p acoustic
                          taylor 410 acoustic

Comment

Now that's a sharp eye you got there Katz !!! I went back to look & it sure looks like it says Yamaha F-330 or something like that.

I sent the guy a message asking him to clear that up......let's see what he has to say!

Comment

you must have tried one of the lower model Norman's. Trust me...give the ST68. It is head and shoulders better than any of the lower end Guilds, Martins and Taylors and the higher end Tak's. I a/b's every guitar that you're looking for and couldn't find one that could come close to the ST68...espically for the price.
                              :afro:

Comment

Working...
                              X