banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about heads/cabs, please clear this UP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about heads/cabs, please clear this UP!

Hey guys and gals, im still deciding whether to get the rectoverb head or combo, but take this as im getting the head.

My first question is, would it be a bad idea to pair the head up with a cheaper cab? say like one of the beringers for around 250ish? Would the tone extremely suck coming out of this?

OK now that we have that cleared up, how would this sound, buying like one of those behringer 4X12s, leaving it at the band rehearsel space, then leaving a 2X12 at my house for when i come home? Or can a 50 watt head even go through a 1X12?

Yea so hows that sound? buying a small cab for home, then leaving a 4X12 at my friends house. that way i can have something smaller at my house for recording, then the real halfstack for rehearsels, or recording with my band?

Thanks again guys- andrew

Re: Question about heads/cabs, please clear this UP!

Originally posted by RhoadsDude1022
    Hey guys and gals, im still deciding whether to get the rectoverb head or combo, but take this as im getting the head.

My first question is, would it be a bad idea to pair the head up with a cheaper cab? say like one of the beringers for around 250ish? Would the tone extremely suck coming out of this?

OK now that we have that cleared up, how would this sound, buying like one of those behringer 4X12s, leaving it at the band rehearsel space, then leaving a 2X12 at my house for when i come home? Or can a 50 watt head even go through a 1X12?

Yea so hows that sound? buying a small cab for home, then leaving a 4X12 at my friends house. that way i can have something smaller at my house for recording, then the real halfstack for rehearsels, or recording with my band?

Thanks again guys- andrew
    You can run the head through any combination of speakers as long as the ohms rating matches up, and you aren't giving the head more power than it can use.

Now. Behringer 4x12. Crap. You get what you pay for. You may not need to go the expensive Mesa route, but at least find a decent cab with some decent speakers. Used Marshall maybe? But it will have a HUGE impact on your tone if you go with a **** cab. Even some of the used peavey cabs with Sheffields, or Crate Celestion loaded cabs, etc. are going to sound better.

4x12 for band room, and what ya got, be it 1x12 or 2 x12 for home is cool. Remember a 4x12 cab is only 3db louder than a 2x2 cab which is only 3db louder than a 1x12. You can do any gig with a 1x12, but 4 moves so much air and looks impressive.
    Playing:
    Thorn, PRS and Kauer Guitars
    Marshall, Greer amps, Metroamp Home Builds
    Duncan Favorites: SM3, 59's, Sat Night Specials....
    Scumback Speakers, V Picks and various other sundries

Comment

just my 2 cents, but here goes ... i'd try to find a used, higher quality head over a new, lower quality one ... the speakers and construction/materials will produce the tone .. ultimately, try to let your ears decide .. play em both and see which grabs ya

your idea about a smaller cab at home and a larger one for the band is fine .. just be sure the impedance is all matched up ... 1x12" / 50W can work just fine for bedroom practice levels

have you checked avatar cabs? ... http://www.avatarspeakers.com/ ... word says high quality, nice price ...
      good luck
      cheers,
      t4d
      gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

thanks guys for the responses. How bout those hartke cabs? theyre loaded with celstions, might check those out? Main issue is i dont feel like hauling a 4X12 every time i go to practice at the drummers house... Would a 2X12 work for rehearsals? Please explain thsi impendance? im having a hard time knowing how to match up a guitar and cab. lol never done it before. Like what 2X12 would work with the solo 50?

Thanks again- andrew

Comment

don't confuse the speaker size or number of speakers with impedance .. it's pretty easy ... you have to know how many ohms the head wants to see and how many ohms the cab is ... you dont want to put a 'too small' impedance cab with a head because it could blow the head .. you also want to look at the cab's power rating so you dont blow the cab ...

example - find out how much power the head puts out into an 8 ohm load ... then go find an 8 ohm cab (should be easy to find a 1x12" / 8 ohm cab) with a decent power rating .. as long as you dont crank the amp to 10, you'll probably be fine ... oh, and be sure to use speaker cable to hook up the head to the cab, NOT insstrument cable

cheers,
          t4d
          gear list in profile

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

thanks guys for the responses. How bout those hartke cabs? theyre loaded with celstions, might check those out? Main issue is i dont feel like hauling a 4X12 every time i go to practice at the drummers house... Would a 2X12 work for rehearsals? Please explain thsi impendance? im having a hard time knowing how to match up a guitar and cab. lol never done it before. Like what 2X12 would work with the solo 50?

Thanks again- andrew
            Dude. Throw away the AMS Mag. Hartke only 1/2 step above Behringear.

As long as any cabinent is for example 8 ohms, and the head is set to 8 ohms, doesn't matter how many speakers. A 4x12 does not measure but 6db ( not much really) louder than a 4 x 12. Is $$ is the issue, a 2x12 is plenty load for almost any band. Even big crunch death metal, whatever. Bi shows you need to mic it anyway. Hearing it in rehearsal, run it vertical ( straight up and down). The Mesa will handle it no problems. Go ahead and get the 2x12 for now, should be plenty of volume. again, not much difference in volume, just the amount of air moved.

You are going to need a cab with real speakers. IE Celestion V30, 80's etc., or the new Eminence Tonker, Governer, Private Jack. Silver series el cheapo celestions arent going to cut it. They'll fart out bigtime with the low end that Mesa will throw down.I'd use V30 celestions or Emi Tonkers.

Rectifier series mesa 2x12 can be had pretty cheap used, and not that bad new. Maybe start there, and add a 4x12 later. 4x12 are a pain in the rump to move for sure.

Just my 2 cents BTW sorry to come off sternly, but I hate to see someone throw good money away on inferior equipment. You're getting a good head, but the speakers are Just as important if not moreso.

Best,
            Mike
            Playing:

Comment

thanks a lot guys, you think it would be a problem moving the 2X12, and head back and forth from my house to the drummers house? the 2X12 has to be millions of lb's less right? i mean we practice about 2 times max a week, so it cant be that much of a problem. anyways, How much does a mesa 2X12 cost? how bout a marshall? thanks again- andrew

Comment

i have a buddy who bought a carvin 2 x12" cab (website for price) for not too much money and he uses it for his (loud) band practice .. sounds great and less weight

i use a pair of boogie recto 1x12" cabs .. sometimes even just 1 of them is plenty loud

cheers,
                t4d
                gear list in profile

Comment

thanks, the carvin is loaded with good speakers? also anyone know the impendance rating of the mesa recto-verb head? thanks

Comment

hey again guys just checked the carvin website. They make a 2X12 loaded with 2 gt12's what are these speakers? are they good?

Comment

thanks a lot guys, you think it would be a problem moving the 2X12, and head back and forth from my house to the drummers house? the 2X12 has to be millions of lb's less right? i mean we practice about 2 times max a week, so it cant be that much of a problem. anyways, How much does a mesa 2X12 cost? how bout a marshall? thanks again- andrew
                      I've seen the mesa cabs used for 400 bucks or so. New?? Mesa sets pricing strictly, so all dealers would be the same.

I would avoid the Marshall cab, they've went to particle board back and don't sound as good as they used too. Bogner good, Rivera, Roccaforte is pricey but awesome. Avatar has a great rep as well. Think they have a deal on 80 watt celestions, 45 bucks each or something, they are supposed to be great cabs as well. The Recto seems to be designed around a v30 speaker, so keep that in mind.

2x12 not to bad to move. I actually leave a spare amp at my band room as I am lazy! But I find it makes practicing more convienent as no set up time. I get most of my overdrive from a pedal so it's not as big of a deal. I wouldn't do that with my Dr Z's or a Mesa or something like that though.

The Rectifier series 2x12 is a good cab, and pretty easy to move. Not a big deal.

Good luck with your decision.

Best regards,
                      Mike
                      Playing:

Comment

Carvin cabs pretty decent. G12 is thier celestion copy, probably an eminence.

Check out the Legacy 2x12 cab. Comes with Vintage 30's I think.

For $329 with Vintage 30's, that's a damn good cab, that vai legacy. Might be the one right there. You'll pay 200 bucks for 2 speakers alone if you were loading an empty cab!
                        Last edited by Big Mike Blues; 05-04-2004, 09:07 PM.
                        Playing:

Comment

My advise is to stay with the same brand as your head, then scour all the used sources for one. I agree, throw away the AMS, Musician Fiend, and Sam Ash catalogs. Stay with quality, just find it used. No matter what ohmage the cab is, your head will have a way of matching it, whether it's a switch or additional speaker out.
                          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

The VHT 2x12 looks really nice...
                            Originally posted by The Minstrel
                            Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

thing of the head as a beautiful painting, the cab is the clear case around the painting, if the cab is brown and you cant see through it, you wont see the piece of art behind it. the head makes a great deal of the tone, the cab can change the tone, but the cab mainly presents the sound, so if the cab sucks ass, so will the tone

Comment

Working...
                              X