I need some help finding a good tube power amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some help finding a good tube power amp

Ok, after i get my new warmoth guitar all built the next thing i am gonna do is try to get a better live rig setup for my pod 2.0 (standard, not pro). What i have heard works best is running it to a tube power amp and then to a speaker cabinet. I want to get a tube power amp that is big enough to gig with (like loud enough to play with drums), yet small enough to practice at home with. I know that the mesa 50/50 can be turned down to a 15/15 which makes it ideal, but i have also been looking at the 20/20 just because it is cheaper. Would the 20/20 be loud enough? or should i spring for the money and buy the 50/50? any other tube power amps that i am overlooking that are in the price range of 200-600$? The other question is: would a 410 guitar cab work well with this? i have heard good things, and it would be great if i could get a cheaper and smaller cab than a 412. any comments and/or input would be great. thanks.
    my gear: '80s fender bullet (tele style)
    fender dg20ce acoustic
    peavey blazer 15 watt
    line 6 pod 2.3 and floorboard
    Atomic Reactor 112
    Warmoth double fat strat w/ SD Jb bridge and Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell

Re: I need some help finding a good tube power amp

Do a search on Ebay for power amps ending first, everyday. When you find a great deal on a Marshall 50/50, Mesa 2:90, 295, VHT, or Peavey, throw out a bid $50 higher than the price (proxy bid) about 1 minute before the auction ends. Then, you get it at a rock bottom price. If you're looking to save money, really focus on a Peavey 60/60. You can find those for around $240 and they sound very good.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Also, for a rack setup, I'd recommend a stereo wired 4-12 or 2 2-12's. If you do end up buying that 4-10, add an extra female jack and wire both sides in parallel, so each side will bring the two 16 ohm speakers down to 8 ohms per side.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I bought a Carvin Tube Power Amp years ago and it is my main power amp. I currently am running a POD Pro thru it and it sound pretty impressive, especially after I a/b it against my old tube pre amp that I used to use (last night at rehersal with a digitech rp 7). I run this into 2 - 2/12 cabs with a GR-30 in the effects loop. The pod is absolutely amazing and it sounds more amazing thru tube power amp.

Comment

I love my VHT 2502. It's a beast. Stereo 50w per side. Class A or A/B. You can go to 1/2 power (bedroom levels). It accepts EL34 or 6L6 power tubes. They aren't the cheapest power amps out there. But, if you do get one, it will be the last power amp you own.
          (2) Randall RM4 preamps, VHT 2502 Power amp, 2 2x12 Bogner cabs w/V30's and Lead 80's, '74 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop, '89 Gibson Les Paul Cherryburst, '93 Stratocaster, and a bunch of other stuff.

Comment

Working...
          X