Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus

I was just checking out the Epiphone site to look at some of their Les Pauls. How do you think this would fair in build quality and overall bang for your buck in comparisson with a Gibson Les Paul Studio?

Heavy Metal is a 73 tonne Main Battle Tank :headbang:

B.C. Rich USA ST-III w/ Seymour Duncan Hot Rails Neck/Middle, Duncan Custom Bridge. :firedevil

Re: Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus

It's funny you just posted this. I just acquired a 2002 LP Studio. 1st Studio I've ever had. I've got some OLD Paulys, mostly Standards. I bought the Studio just to play around with, kind of a "no frills, no worries about scratches and dings" kind of thing. I've found this Studio to be a VERY FINE Guitar !!!!!! Plays Wonderfully, Great neck. I think it's a fine Instrument.
    Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Some of the epiphone flame top customs have maple tops, while others have alder. It's a lottery as for which one you get.

Epiphone nuts and pots have always been sub par. I was once told that their pots measure at 300k, and I would go along with this based on my experience when I repaced the pots in my epiphone les paul. The pickups are a lot better now than they were three years ago. They're now made by Gibson and are based on the 57's. Before, they were medium output ceramic pickups which were muddy and cheep sounding. The finish is still gloss urethane except on the elitist models, which to me come off as a waste of money. For the price of an elitist, you might as well get a Gibson studio! Yeah, I know it's circular.

I'd go for a Gibson studio or a used Epiphone. The Gibson will be the better guitar, but you can used Epiphones cheeply.

Comment

the thing that is most important to me at the moment is knowing that a $600-700 Epiphone guitar will be good enough to last a couple years without me needing to replace or upgrade it constantly to get a "playable" tone. At the moment Im using a beginner guitar and its really not too bad in my eyes(Although im sure after about a year durability issues will start arising). I just want to make sure the extra $300-$400 will be worth my time. Because I know for a fact this guitar I have now isnt going to last long enough for me to get a Gibson Les Paul.
        Heavy Metal is a 73 tonne Main Battle Tank :headbang:

B.C. Rich USA ST-III w/ Seymour Duncan Hot Rails Neck/Middle, Duncan Custom Bridge. :firedevil

Comment

I have an Epi Les Paul Custom Plus w/Flame.

It was a great guitar straight off the shelf, but then I came here, and you guys convinced me to swap out the Pups.
          I have a JB and 59 in it now. I recommend to get a higher powered neck PU other than the 59 if you get a JB because the power diff. is alot.
          Anyway, Nuff about that.

Sounds great now, And I have Jimmy Page Custom Les Paul wiring (4 push pull pots for splits, series and phase switches). That goes sweet and works well for Jazz.

Guitar plays great, Compared to a studio, I would get a studio if I had the Dollars.
          But it would still get a pup change, but maybe not the trick wiring.
          I would get a studio and drop in a JB and a Jazz.

The Epi plays really well but tuners aren't that great and nut is plastic (cheapo!).

In the end - If you have the $ $ $ $ $ get a studio or a used standard/custom/classic

Comment

I picked up a used 2002 epi LP custom plus a couple of months ago. It has a real nice flame and finish. I did end up switching the pickups, but it sounded surprisingly good before the switch anyway. I think if you have a good amp and get it set up properly (mine was set up horribly and couldn't hold its tuning), it should make a nice upgrade from a beginner guitar.

All that being said, if you can afford to buy a new epi custom, you wouldn't be that far from a used studio and I'm all about buying used gear .

Comment

Working...
            X