• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Custom Made Guitar

Originally posted by Skullkrusher
    Take a look at this guys work.

http://www.driskillguitars.com./
    By all means, if you haven't looked at Joe Driskill's stuff, you should. He is a first class guy and builder. The dude is INSANE! He makes his own tremolos and stop tail piece bridges out of one chunk of brass for each bridge. He MAKES the carbon fiber he reinforces the neck with and inserts into the control cavity (and in my case, is making carbon fiber covers for my P-90's).

Definitely take some time to read through his website. Very interesting stuff. He is a one man shop and does some pretty intense stuff.
    Formerly Michael_D. on the old forum....

Comment

I know joe and have spoken to him about guitar building a bunch of time. He is a first rate builder and a first rate guy - his stuff is amazing
      Custom Guitar Builder - PM me if you're interested.
      Check out the new website and see the progress of felow forumites' guitars
      www.gaugeguitars.com
      Cheers!

Comment

ok, i dont wana intrude on any of ur guy's business here, but warmoth is an EXCELENT company to do business with. they are very helpful to talk to and they are pretty damn cheap. my enire guitar shipping price was 15$ to a POBox in Alaska!!!!! that is very rare, cuz livin all the way up here i am slammed with shipping prices often. anyways, i would definatly look at their website and/or give um a call. they can do almost anything u want um to, and they build them in 6-8 weeks. They ship worldwide too...... ok i will stop invading on ur guy's sales pitches!
        my gear: '80s fender bullet (tele style)
        fender dg20ce acoustic
        peavey blazer 15 watt
        line 6 pod 2.3 and floorboard
        Atomic Reactor 112
        Warmoth double fat strat w/ SD Jb bridge and Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell

Comment

blue line is also building me a telecaster right now and I couldn't recommend the experience more. He is a great guy to talk to and has some great designs plus the little stuff like an extended neck pocket for better contact and sustain. I won't post any pics of mine because it is just getting started, but i am very excited about it. Thanks Blueline.

his prices are great for custom work too. I doubt you will find anyone who builds like he does for the same price.

Alex, that tele looks great. I can't wait to see it when it is finished.
          Cleveland Guitars

Comment

There's always Gerard Melancon too:

Comment

Originally posted by Skullkrusher
              Take a look at this guys work.

http://www.driskillguitars.com./
              Damn, those guitars look awesome!
              "Dave, what are your thoughts on AIDS?"
              "You're talking about sex, right? Hell, i don't need no aids!" -Dave Mustaine

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, the more i think about it the more it seems to make sense seeing as i can really find an ideal guitar for me atm. Thanks for the recommendations and im checkin shipping prices, if these were too much and i went with a local builder how careful would i need to be on selection? Basically is there many poor quality builders around?

Comment

Originally posted by 570ex
                  Thanks for the input guys, the more i think about it the more it seems to make sense seeing as i can really find an ideal guitar for me atm. Thanks for the recommendations and im checkin shipping prices, if these were too much and i went with a local builder how careful would i need to be on selection? Basically is there many poor quality builders around?
                  I think you have to go on recommendations and also see the quality of their work before you make that decision. It is going to be very difficult to say how many poor quality builders there are because they are not going to say are they and I don't think that the people who are on this forum are that way?

If you go down the custom build route, you have to have done your research and know what exactly it is you want. Be very choosy and selective about the type of materials, hardware, check the wood, colour, finishes, decals etc etc. After all you are going to be parting with a lot of money and it could turn out to be a load of s**t.

So make sure that you have covered all the bases and don't get worried about the length of time it takes to complete, quality work does take time. Incidentally try and get the person who is building the guitar to take pictures at various stages so that you have a photo album afterwards.
                  Normans Guitars

Comment

I feel like i'm fighting for this contract - which isn't my intention

but as protection to my own reputation i feel compelled to respond

1) I provide photo updates of the entire guitar process so the customer knows where i'm at (and a photo cd of the entire process when the guitar is done)
                    2) I won't build for someone who doesn't know what they want (or can't work it out with me) nor would i build for someone who doesn't need a custom job (many builders are like this)
                    3) i'd recommend talking to the builder - get a feel for who you are going to be putting your trust in
                    4) i work in installments - I'd feel uncomfortable about giving 1500 dollars to a guy i never knew (even though i use explicit contracts)

Choose carefully, and you'd be very impressed with the quality a small builder can give you
                    plus you learn a lot about what makes a great guitar
                    I dont think most builders would try to stear you wrong with materials and hardware - if the guitar is garbage, its their rep on the line

Cheers
                    www.gaugeguitars.com
                    Cheers!

Comment

Not meaning to hijack this thread....Blueline: what do you think of the tonal difference of Korina vs. mahogany in a guitar?
                      This machine kills fascists

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline
                        I feel like i'm fighting for this contract - which isn't my intention

but as protection to my own reputation i feel compelled to respond

1) I provide photo updates of the entire guitar process so the customer knows where i'm at (and a photo cd of the entire process when the guitar is done)
                        2) I won't build for someone who doesn't know what they want (or can't work it out with me) nor would i build for someone who doesn't need a custom job (many builders are like this)
                        3) i'd recommend talking to the builder - get a feel for who you are going to be putting your trust in
                        4) i work in installments - I'd feel uncomfortable about giving 1500 dollars to a guy i never knew (even though i use explicit contracts)

Choose carefully, and you'd be very impressed with the quality a small builder can give you
                        plus you learn a lot about what makes a great guitar
                        I dont think most builders would try to stear you wrong with materials and hardware - if the guitar is garbage, its their rep on the line

Cheers
                        Blue,

Please do not take my post as in anyway being disrespectful of you or of any of the many good builders on this forum it was meant to give some useful tips. If I insulted you then I apologise unreservedly.

The points that you have raised above are all great and I am pleased that you do this and totally agree that you should sit down and talk to the guy who is going to be making the guitar. As I said in one of my earlier posts I am very supportive of guys who build custom guitars as I believe that if you want good guitars then there is no better way.

Norman
                        Normans Guitars

Comment

no offense taken buddy
                          no worries
                          I'm just excited we're talking about it
                          www.gaugeguitars.com
                          Cheers!

Comment

the guy who poster http://www.driskillguitars.com./,thanks for revealing some of the best guitars on the web(well thatmade no sence)
                            Gear: Carvin CT6 flame top(alnico 2 pro,JB), Strat scappoled fretboard(59,CC), Morgan monroe ovation knock-off, yamaha nylon acoustic,Boss super overdrive with TS-808 "silver" analogman mod, Boss DS-1 with keeley mod, Vox wah with true bypass mod, Fender Super Reverb 65.

Originally Posted by Jeff_H
                            The APH is like slipping into a tub of warm honey spashed with the silky essence of virgins.

Comment

i really didn't like the way the driskill guitars looked. I am sure they are top quality but i didn't like the body shape. I guess I am more of a classic kind of guy, I like teles and juniors
                              Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Hey there, thanks for the mention
                                it depends on the wood and the effect i'm going for
                                i love to stain a dark color, then sand the field back, retain, then clear

that top was just so nice, that's just the stain and clear
                                granted it took 4restains till we got the color exaclty the way we wanted
                                www.gaugeguitars.com
                                Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                                X