Marshall MG100HDFX Amp Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall MG100HDFX Amp Head

Anyone use one of these or have any experience with them in general? I have been in the process of researching to upgrade my amplifier to something giggable, I was thinking I could just go to a Marshall MG50DFX or possibly a Line 6 Spider II 112 And I came across the Marshall MG100HDFX head for only $50 more than the 50 watt combo, Just wondering if its a worthwhile amp head, something to last me for a year or 2 while I go on a hunt for a nice Tube amp.
    Heavy Metal is a 73 tonne Main Battle Tank :headbang:

B.C. Rich USA ST-III w/ Seymour Duncan Hot Rails Neck/Middle, Duncan Custom Bridge. :firedevil

Re: Marshall MG100HDFX Amp Head

yo, those amps are cheap as f*** !!!

(good deals on ebay...)

static x - wayne used em for live sounds - check it out at guitargeek.com

Id get that head as a backup if I were an all out- guitarist

Comment

as for the cheap as F*** part, is that a "Made in China" Style Cheap or a Good cheap, If Something in that price range is going to blow up and catch fire while im Jamming Ill play accoustic untill I can afford a JCM800 or something lol.

B.C. Rich USA ST-III w/ Seymour Duncan Hot Rails Neck/Middle, Duncan Custom Bridge. :firedevil

Comment

go to harmony-central.com and read up on the reviews. I have; like I said, I would buy one (I have not tried one out though - I would do that before buying)

Comment

Nope i'm nearly 100% sure that all marshall stuff is made in the UK..teh reason the MG series is soo F'n cheap is because jim marshall wanted to make something affordable for a guitarst of any financial class so (i think) he made the "G" series ... the now "MG" series is just the improved G series and the first all SS head made by marshall... The New MG's also have The FDD(Frequency dependant damping) switch which i have no idea what it actually does(supposed to emulate a tube amp) but makes the amp sound better too...

All-in-all a great low priced SS amp..Its alos quiet versatile..
          Marshall JVM 410C
          Mesa Boogie DC-3
          ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
          1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
          2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
          2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
          1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
          2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
          1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

ive ended up with them a few times in the rehearsal studio, seem very solid. The tone is ok, ive played some bad solid states before and this is not one of them. Its an ok amp, not hugely amazing. Thats about it really. I prefer it to the AVT series and errr hmmm for the money i dont think you can go wrong. It may not be tube but then again it is so cheap. Ive managed to get sum pantera-ish sorta chug out of it. Look 2nd hand u may find an awesome deal.

Comment

I have an MG250DFX, it's a 50W + 50W stereo combo with an excellent clean channel and pretty nice/useful distortion channel.
              The FDD is supposed to be tube emulation, and there's a very noticable difference when it's not on. It's almost like you get two amps: one good and one not as good, depending on weather you turn the FDD on or off.
              Also, my first 30 watt was a MG30RCD, it's a nice little amp to begin with...and I'm still using it! It's my dorm room amp!

EDIT: Oh yeah, I just remembered that before I got the MG250DFX I played the MG100DFX combo and it was a really quality piece of product.
              Last edited by Closed Eye; 05-06-2004, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Yeh so for the Money its a good bet...you'll also have to get a decent cab to go with it to...
                I dunno about America but in europe theres alot of stores and online places that sell MG100HDFX and cab as a package...

You should look up for these,

But your best bet is poboly ebay ,theres always a few knockin around..
                Marshall JVM 410C
                Mesa Boogie DC-3

Comment

although it is a great amp for not much dosh (ive got the 30 watt myself) i would suggest looking at the Line 6 Spider head too. Its got so many great tones for next to nothing. Blew me away for the price.
                  "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Just about to suggest lookin at that too...

A moddling amp may be better for versatility aswell...

Both really good so either way you wont go wrong for the cash..
                    Marshall JVM 410C
                    Mesa Boogie DC-3

Comment

The MG line of amps is made in India. Only the quality control takes place in the UK.
                      Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyuss_Rock
                        although it is a great amp for not much dosh (ive got the 30 watt myself) i would suggest looking at the Line 6 Spider head too. Its got so many great tones for next to nothing. Blew me away for the price.
                        Im using the MG30DFX right now as a practice amp, the tone is ok and everything, but I hope the MG100HDFX would have a better tone. Also, I have some experience with higher end Line 6 Heads and im not really impressed, they have alot to play with, and thats good, but they dont have a testosterone enduced kick in the nuts distortion sound. I am looking for something with a marshall crunch.

Comment

I used to the have the combo and in my experience it was a very reliable and hearty amplifier. It was cheap and it was probably one of the best choices I could've made for the money. It has a great clean channel (aboard with reverb and chorus effects) and a good versatile dirty channel.

My verdict, buy if it's all the money you got - because it is indeed a good amp. However, if you can make the extra dough in a reasonable amount of time, you'd probably be happier with a fine tube amp.

Comment

The reason im looking at value based solid state amps is because the tube amp Im saving for is going to take me a while. I want a mint JCM800 with 1960A cabs, a conservative estimate for the head and a full stack will put me in the $3800 range or so. Right now I want something for about a grand or less to hold me off for a year or 2 while I look for a good JCM800

Comment

Originally posted by Panzer
                              The reason im looking at value based solid state amps is because the tube amp Im saving for is going to take me a while. I want a mint JCM800 with 1960A cabs, a conservative estimate for the head and a full stack will put me in the $3800 range or so. Right now I want something for about a grand or less to hold me off for a year or 2 while I look for a good JCM800

huh?

used, jcm half stacks can go for around $650 (I don't know about the cab...). I sold mine used for $450 cause I needed the $$ (that was head and marshall cab- I think it was a jcm 800 cab(?)). it was a little torn up and I think a tube was not working. Dude, look around and plug in!

Comment

Working...
                              X