Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marshall MG100HDFX Amp Head

Originally posted by Panzer
    The reason im looking at value based solid state amps is because the tube amp Im saving for is going to take me a while. I want a mint JCM800 with 1960A cabs, a conservative estimate for the head and a full stack will put me in the $3800 range or so. Right now I want something for about a grand or less to hold me off for a year or 2 while I look for a good JCM800
    You're looking wrong, son. Used JCM800's you can get in the US for around the $650-$750 figure. I think you'd be best saving your money and looking for one of those - you'll be a lot happier and wont have to upgrade it to get a quality gig sound, which you will with the MG (although I agree for the money they are pretty good . The 2203/2204 vertical input is the most desired JCM800, and so will cost you the most, the 2203/2204 with horizontal input will be a bit less. The real sleeper used to be the 2205/2210 channel switching head. That used to go real cheap, as people felt the diode clipping that was introduced into the circuit made the distortion too thin and buzzy. However those models made after 1986 had the schematic changed that allieviated that problem. The post 86 2205/2210's (set up properly) actually get a remarkably similar tone to the jubilees everyone pays mega $$$ for. Also now people are starting to realise they dime the master volume and use an attenuator and you avoid most of the high gain pre-amp distortion. A quality re-tube and bias on a post 86 2205/2210 through a decent quad will give you a killer tone. I have a JMP, a 2205 and a 2204 (all great heads) but the 2205 is definately not the poor cousin and is probably the most versitile for gigging...

Just my advice being a Marshall nut with three (two JCM800's) heads and two quad boxes!!!
    'No matter how hot and sexy any woman looks, some guy, somewhere, is tired of putting up with her sh#t..'

Comment

Agreed ^
      Originally posted by The Minstrel
      Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

I hav got a 100 watt DFX and it does me great and I have 2 freinds that hav a marshall cab and the hed top marshall HDFX

Comment

Its a good amp for the money. Much like the AVT series it a SS with the "sound" of a tube amp. Of course this is only partially true. Im not sure about the MG series but i know the AVT series does not use poweer tubes BUT its pre amp valves ( not sure what they are called imigth be wrong,...but im talking about the biger tubes) are used in the AVT amps. The MG may or may not be similiar. Your ebstbet it to go in tot he sotre and try one out. If you like it they buy it. If you dont then look else where. REgardles its a marshall on a budget and thats whats your gonna get for the money remeber. you pay for every step of the way.
          Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

Working...
          X