How hard is a re-fret?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How hard is a re-fret?

I've got an old '72 Strat that hasn't been out of the closet in years, because the frets are barely higher than the fretboard. I was thinking about trying to re-fret it. (Don't worry, it's been repainted a thousand times and is beat to hell, so isn't exactly a prize vintage guitar.)

Anyway, I have ZERO fretting experience, but I figured I could get the Stew-Mac fretting tool kit with the Dan Erlewine fretwork book and go to town. Fret wire doesn't cost that much, so if I screw up, I can yank it all out and start over. Right? The only real hard part will be learning to effectively use the fret files. Right?

Am I being overly naive, or can I do this?
    "Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Re: How hard is a re-fret?

The first time I was going to refret one of my guitars I was more nervous than a Belfast parking valet. I asked a friend if I could have one of his trashed necks (this guy thought he was Pete Townsend) and practiced on it until I felt comfortable enough to refret my Les Paul.
    ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

I think Texasguitar is on the money. Find something to practice on first.

Comment

A 72' Strat is NOT a good guitar to practice your Luthier skills on. I've
        done a few fret jobs on junkers (There's a learning curve) and special
        tools you have to buy. Even with doing a few re frets myself, And
        hav'in the tools. A 72' strat I would take to a pro. A bad fret job
        will devalue the guitar. You can't just keep yanking frets out cuz'
        you'll make a mess of the board especialy if it's rosewood.
        Last edited by kmcguitars; 05-06-2004, 08:08 PM.
        http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Originally posted by kmcguitars
          A 72' Strat is NOT a good guitar to practice your Luthier skills on.
          Originally posted by BluesJunkie
          (Don't worry, it's been repainted a thousand times and is beat to hell, so isn't exactly a prize vintage guitar.)
          If it's an old beater that you'd never play anyway, I say go for it. Could be a valuable learning experience.
          "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so." ~ Ford Prefect

Comment

You can get a great fret job done for about $175 - you'll spend that much in equipment and probably come out with a mediocre fret job, the most important part of a refret is dressing the frets out after they're in, it's an art and requires quite a bit of practice to get dialed in - but, if your into it just for the fun of learning something new go for it.

Comment

'72 Fender frets were put in from the side. As a result, you'll do some serious damage ripping them out. Take it to a luthier. I'm sure it's something that can be learned but a '72 just doesn't seem to be the choice for me. By the way, if it's not something that you'd play anyway, why are you even worried about a refret?
              www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Originally posted by KoreanGuitarMan
                If it's an old beater that you'd never play anyway, I say go for it. Could be a valuable learning experience.
                Have you seen what a beat up 72' Strat is going for these days?? $$$$
                And ,Yes I forgot about the side fret thing.It's was a well keep secret
                There was a big artice about it in vintage guitar a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellion
                  By the way, if it's not something that you'd play anyway, why are you even worried about a refret?
                  I haven't played it because the frets suck. I haven't bothered fixing it over the years, because I got into a lot of other guitars like Strats with floyds and humbuckers, Les Pauls, etc.

I've been listening to Jeff Beck a lot lately, and since the '72 is my only traditional Strat, I wanted to fix it and give it a go again. Even though it's a junker, I always liked the sound and feel of that guitar anyway.

I still can't decide what to do. If I try fretwork on a few junkers and then attempt the Strat myself, it will be months before it's playable, and I could possibly ruin my guitar. If I get it refretted professionally, I'll lose my sense of urgency, new GAS will take all my money, and I'll probably never get around to learning fretwork (which I was kind of getting excited about learning). I guess I'll just have to decide how long I can live without a Strat and how scared I am to attept a refret myself.

Anyway, thanks for all y'all's help.
                  "Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
                  - C.S. Lewis

Comment

Fretwork costs alot for a reason, its very difficult to do correctly.

I see where you are coming from, no lose in making a unplayable guitar at the moment even more unplayable. However the goal is to make it playable and by shelling out you get to jump on your jeff beck.

Comment

How about swaping a neck from your other strats on to the 72'??
                      Just a Idea

Comment

Originally posted by kmcguitars
                        How about swaping a neck from your other strats on to the 72'??
                        Just a Idea
                        Right now I only have three actual Fenders. The '72 is a three bolt and I have a four bolt. I have a three bolt paisley Strat I got for my daughter but, I don't want to steal the neck from it. It's not a whole lot better anyway. The frets on it are nearly new, but they're those tiny old Fender frets. I thought about getting a new neck, but it would cost as much or more than a refret.
                        - C.S. Lewis

Comment

Just pick up a Warmoth neck for about $175 and play it until you decide to sell the guitar, then just include the original neck with it. Let a future owner worry about the refret.

Comment

JohnJohn - I sent you a PM.

KoreanGuitarMan - Who's the hot chick on your avatar?
                            - C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                            X