banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just played a few LesPauls last evening...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just played a few LesPauls last evening...

Originally posted by Scott_F
    It's a shame you didn't get to play a Historic and Custom Shop Reissue Les Paul (58 or 59 preferably).

They really are a cut above. The elitist is made in Japan, right?

You really think there's Historics and CS RI's here in Quebec ?? LOL ahaha. There was a few CS's during the Gibson days. but not more than that!

Yeah, Japan. They are the closest thing to a '59 for the price Scott, seriously.
    Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

Originally posted by sweet_lou
      No! It's a honeyburst. No offense, but look nicer than this one.

Her's

Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

I think Epiphone puts out a great product. However, the feel and playability of the Les Paul Standard is simply superior. Epi's seem to feel a lot lighter than the Gibson counterparts (well, the Classic/Standard and above anyways). I feel that for the "Les Paul sound" a heavier guitar is a must. It just seems to handle distortion a lot better. There's a substance there that seems to lack with the Epi's I have played. You can still get great tones with an Epi, I have an early 80s one that is pretty good.
        Originally posted by kevlar3000
        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
        Originally posted by Zerberus
        Better is often the enemy of good
        Originally posted by ginormous
        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I bought and Epi Classic a few months ago. Has a quilted amber top. I replaced the stock pups with Duncans (DB and JB), and I have to say I'm loving it so far. I was impressed that it had Grover tuners and it stays in tune very well. I've had no problems with the pup switch at all. I didn't replace the Pots because they said 500K on em when I put in my PuPs. Are there different qualities of 500K pots? And any of you guys think I should replace these?

Bottom line I think is for the price, with a few minor upgrades, you can't beat the value.

Comment

The Epi Elites are awesome - One reviewer (forget which magazine) wrote 'don't be surprised if this makes your gibson Les Paul your SECOND favorite guitar' - No offense to anyone - I own a gibson LP - but the Epi Elites are sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by Thames
              You really think there's Historics and CS RI's here in Quebec ?? LOL ahaha. There was a few CS's during the Gibson days. but not more than that!

Yeah, Japan. They are the closest thing to a '59 for the price Scott, seriously.

Our shops will never carry anything like that in a zillion years... They would never sell here... with importation fees that merchants have to pay, taxes and all... these would cost as much as a car... A good ol' standard is already pricey enough...

Comment

Epi Les Pauls can be hit or miss as far as quality control from the factory. I feel that my LP Classic plus was one of those things that I was just lucky to have found. Weighing in at 9.4 lbs, solid mahogany body with a quilted maple cap, mahogany neck with rosewood fretboard and pearloid inlays that are flawless. As far as tuners it came with Grover kidney 18:1 machines that are awesome. The only thing I want to do to it is install a bone nut.

I've played plenty of Epi LPs at the guitar shop that I wouldn't have paid $100 for, but the QC seems to be a lot more hit and miss with Squier/Fender than Epi/Gibson IMHO.
                ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

I have quite a bit of experience with all the LP models from Epi Std's all the way to $4000 Historics. IMO the best LP you can buy for the lowest money
                  is a used Gibson Les Paul Std. from the 90's. Anything less, and you'll be right back to shopping. Anything more, and you'll pay dearly and be too paranoid about damage. Before laying out any money at a guitar store, search every used avenue to aquire a Gibson LP Standard for between $850 - $1400 US. Then, make sure the not is slotted properly, intonated 100% and your favorite Duncan set installed. C-5/59 smokes!
                  Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                  I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by take2
                    The Epi Elites are awesome - One reviewer (forget which magazine) wrote 'don't be surprised if this makes your gibson Les Paul your SECOND favorite guitar' - No offense to anyone - I own a gibson LP - but the Epi Elites are sweet!
                    Guitar World Review... check the Bottom Line ... at the bottom

Comment

I've played a few Elitists and can't argue that they are the best of the Epi's, but they do what they say "bridge the gap." I also really liked some of the Epi Joe Perry guitars.

I still say "buy a Gibson LP Std." You get what you pay for every step of the way with Epiphone to Gibson. You'll get a much better guitar by getting a $2000 Std. for
                      $1200, than you would by getting the best Epi new for $900.

Don't forget that Guitar Player and Guitar World make money by writing positive reviews for their biggest advertisers. I'm sure they thought the guitars were good, but they're stretching the truth by claiming that they're better than Gibson. Afterall, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if that editor got a couple for free. I will say that a great deal would be to wait until you can find an Elitist used. That's where you'll really score! I'm guessing there's a few on Ebay in the $550 price range.
                      Also, you may want to contact Jolly about some of his upgraded Epi's. Last time I talked to him, he was thinking of parting with a few.
                      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I own a custom shop Les Paul Elegant. As a full time musician, I couldn't take the weight so I got the Elegant which is semi-hollow but the top is solid (no f holes). The guitar sounds awesome and sustains like crazy. The workmanship is first rate and the ebony fingerboard plays effortlessly. the 57 Classic pickups are warm, clear and balanced. I've had the guitar 6 years and this one is staying to the end.

Comment

The elites are good guitars, no question, but facts are facts....

- Gibson Les Pauls are better made, better hardware and better wood quality is used. Quality control is superior. These are all facts.

People wouldn't compare a $10000 Ford to a $20000 BMW, for example, so why do so many people constantly compare Epis and Gibsons and try to intimate that Epis are superior? (Actually, being a psychologist, I know why - it's called the Mere Ownership Effect - something is more valued simply becuase we own it -it becomes a reflection of our self-concept and we must defend its worth to protect our own self-concept).

However, the simple fact is that Epi's LP's aren't as good as Gibson LP's (just as Gibson USA models aren't as good as Historic or Re-issue models) - but that doesn't mean they are bad guitars - just like the $10000 Ford isn't a bad car...

By the way - I DON'T own a Historic or Re-issue!!!
                          Last edited by Duncan; 05-11-2004, 07:36 AM.
                          'No matter how hot and sexy any woman looks, some guy, somewhere, is tired of putting up with her sh#t..'

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan
                            The elites are good guitars, no question, but facts are facts....

- Gibson Les Pauls are better made, better hardware and better wood quality is used. Quality control is superior. These are all facts.

Why do you think the Epiphone Elitist serie doesnt received as much attention as its US counterpart ? The hardware is GOTOH, which is, IMHO, as good or better than US parts. The pickups are made in USA by Gibson. The body is made of African mahogany.

Also, did you know that the Epi Elitist are made in the same factory that currently produces Gretsch guitars ?

And sorry, but QC isnt the domain in which Gibson excels. For eg, remember those orange-peel finish flaws ? And the Norlin-era pancake bodies (ok long time ago...)....

People wouldn't compare a $10000 Ford to a $20000 BMW, for example, so why do so many people constantly compare Epis and Gibsons and try to intimate that Epis are superior? (Actually, being a psychologist, I know why - it's called the Mere Ownership Effect - something is more valued simply becuase we own it -it becomes a reflection of our self-concept and we must defend its worth to protect our own self-concept).
                            No, I wouldnt compare a 10k$ ford to a 20k$ BWM, but I WOULD compare a 17k$ Lexus to a 20k$ BMW. I think the Lexus would be the winner. More options, same quality, for a bit less. And to use your own words : Actually, being in the marketing/publicity field, I know why - it's called the FAMOUS/HISTORICAL BRANDNAME Effect - something is more valued simply because it has a certain brandname on it -it becomes a reflection of our self-concept and we must defend its worth to protect our own self-concept).

However, the simple fact is that Epi's LP's aren't as good as Gibson LP's (just as Gibson USA models aren't as good as Historic or Re-issue models) - but that doesn't mean they are bad guitars - just like the $10000 Ford isn't a bad car...
                            Wait, I just want to make sure you understand that we're talking about the japanese Epiphone ELITIST and NOT the standard korean Epiphone line. ?
                            Last edited by Thames; 05-11-2004, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X