Peavey 5150 II vs. Mesa Boogie Dual Recto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey 5150 II vs. Mesa Boogie Dual Recto

These 2 amps are both priced at $800 at a music store not too far from my house, and I'm not sure which would be the best for me. I don't like amps that have insane amounts of crazy distortion (like the XXX), I like mild, controlled distortion. The amp should be good for rock to hard rock, providing plenty of push and crunch, still with some nice cleans.
    Ibanez RG1570: stock
    Squier Strat: stock

Next on the list: an amp that isn't crap!

Re: Peavey 5150 II vs. Mesa Boogie Dual Recto

5150's are known for their brutal amounts of gain. rectos can do the high gain thing if you ever need them to, and they are also capable of doing some good mild distortion as you mentioned. definately go for the recto, i gaurantee you'll never find another dual for $800.
    gear:

'05 gibson les paul studio vintage mahogany (DiMarzio Super Distortion/ SD Jazz)
    '04 gibson SG standard (BurstBucker Pro's)
    mesa/boogie 2-channel dual rectifier (with EL34's)
    marshall 1960A 4x12
    and a few pedals

Comment

Well, both amps have insane amounts of gain! How do you like your mids? Present? If so, I'd go with the 5150. Otherwise, the rectos are great rhythm amps, they just lack mids.

Comment

I'd play both and see which one forces you to lay out the $800. For $800, you can get most good amps. Make sure you try a DSL 50 or 100, too. Don't get anxious, you can always find a great amp for $800.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

get the recto.

the 5150 always seemed buzzy for me, and i've never liked peavey amps anyways.

Comment

A mesa boogie dual for 800 and u have bought it yet, go for it
            Gear: Carvin CT6 flame top(alnico 2 pro,JB), Strat scappoled fretboard(59,CC), Morgan monroe ovation knock-off, yamaha nylon acoustic,Boss super overdrive with TS-808 "silver" analogman mod, Boss DS-1 with keeley mod, Vox wah with true bypass mod, Fender Super Reverb 65.

Originally Posted by Jeff_H
            The APH is like slipping into a tub of warm honey spashed with the silky essence of virgins.

Comment

Both those amps rock man, I'd try them both out to see which you like better.
              If I had 800$ to spend on another amp though, I'd buy the Mesa Boogie.

Comment

Working...
              X