banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are used Marshall 800's prices getting outta whack on eBay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are used Marshall 800's prices getting outta whack on eBay?

I look at eBay a lot. Does anyone else think that the used price on Marshall jcm 800s is seeming really inflated in the last 18 months or so? I hoping I'm not the only one to notice this. Also does anybody know anybody who's bought these amps lately. Were they "underpriced" for a long time and people have caught on?

2001 MIA Strat Sunburst w/maple neck. Hot Rails (b), Vintage Rails (m), Cool Rails (n). 2003 MIA Deluxe Fat Strat Sunburst w/maple neck.

Re: Are used Marshall 800's prices getting outta whack on eBay?

Who-hoo! Now I can sell mine for big bux.

Comment

Don't seem all that high to me. I wouldn't sell mine for that.

Comment

Yikes.. it's called the bandwagon fallacy.

I just sold my 2204 for $620 and I bought it for $500 a couple of years ago. You might look for the jmp models of the 2204, which were like the early JCM800s.
        My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Yeah, I don't think that they're much of a secret anymore. Gettin' too pricey, for sure.

Comment

I must agree with the overprice on some... I mean, this auction is for the very same amp I have:

I paid almost half that and it was an '83 cleaner than this one... I'll check it out to see if it sells...

Comment

Originally posted by Pandemonium
              Don't seem all that high to me. I wouldn't sell mine for that.
              Same here
              Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

The first link is to a rarer early JCM with channel switching, so I could see why that would be higher. You guys should hold off until a little later and then sell it for a profit. Of course, some people are so attached to them, I don't think anything could pry it from their hands.
                Originally posted by kevlar3000
                I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                Originally posted by Zerberus
                Better is often the enemy of good
                Originally posted by ginormous
                Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

isnt the Reissue $1200? i guess the purist will not feel the price is too high on the originals?

Comment

JCM 800 amps have been steadily climbing in the used market for the last 2-3 years. In 2000, you could get a 100W JCM 800 head for $400. Today, that same amp sells for $700+. Whether or not these prices are inflated depends on who you ask. Considering that these are some of the last decent amps Marshall made and they're still about half the price of a new amp, I'd say they're a good deal. As far as the reissues go, they're a very average 800 for way too much money. I've played originals that sounded much better at 1/2 the price.

The Jubilee amps have gone up in price even more than 800s have. I scored my 2555 in June 2001 for $550. If I wanted to get another one today, I'd have to pay close to double that. I've seen some very pristine examples sell for $1500.
                    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

You can often get a Plexi 1987x reissue and an attenuator for less than a JCM800 now. I have had both and the Plexi RI is by far my favorite.
                      My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

The 1st JCM800 is the exact same amp I have, but not sure of what year, since there's no serial number listed. It's NOT a true channel switching head, as some people believe. The 'switching' mearly adds a gain stage to the output. It does have seperate volumes for each stage, but is considered a Master Volume series amp, I believe. Most connoseurs consider the original 800 to be the last good amp Marshall made. It's arguable, but I agree with them. Channel swtiching killed Marshall amps. I would get one now before they go over $1k!
                        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I had a couple of hundreds I was willing to spend on a marshall a few months ago though I ended spending my money on something else as the price was factoring into my decision making. They seemed to be right at about the same price from the last time I checked.

Comment

Originally posted by ShredderDude
                            I had a couple of hundreds I was willing to spend on a marshall a few months ago though I ended spending my money on something else as the price was factoring into my decision making. They seemed to be right at about the same price from the last time I checked.
                            Off topic, I know, but I'm curious: what did you end up going with?
                            Sorry,
                            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I sure am hoping the trend continues!!!

My last 2 acquisitions were a JCM800 2204 w/4x12 cab for $700.00 off the grocery store bulletin board & a HIWATT Custom 50 DR504 I traded for my UniValve.

The prices I've seen for both are far more than I laid out...!!!
                              Last edited by PUCKBOY99; 05-10-2004, 03:14 PM.

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                              Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                              FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                              http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Working...
                              X