Keeping that damn Low E in tune!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping that damn Low E in tune!

I've always had problems with my low E string staying in tune. It doesn't stand out a lot while playing, but if I hit it too hard it'll go sharp and then fall back down to where it's supposed to. I can see this on a tuner more than anything. It's as if the string is too limp. I've stretched the crap out of it, but then when I tune it back up, it goes sharp by itself after a minute.

Maybe I need to give it more slack when I put on new strings, more winds. Not sure. Any ideas?
    Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
    Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
    Originally posted by Sosomething
    "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Re: Keeping that damn Low E in tune!

What gauge strings are you using? If you are a hard player, you might consider going to a heavier string. Heavy strings stay in tune better!
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Ernie's Balls Power Slinkies, 11's
      Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.

Comment

It's always gonna be sharper the harder you hit the string with any guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandemonium
          It's always gonna be sharper the harder you hit the string with any guitar.
          True, but this string jumps quite a bit. More than the others.

Comment

11 to 48 or 52??

Comment

11-49 I think. More than anything else it just feels rather limp. I'm thinking the next time I change strings I'm going to have to wind it around the tuning machines a bit more.

Comment

It sounds to me like the nut slot isn't wide enough for that string gauge. If you stepped up from the 9's, which were probably stock, then the slot isn't wide enough to allow the string to slide easily. Also, check the intonation on the neck all the way up to the 19th fret, making sure your tuner's needle is always dead center on all notes. If you have perfect intonation, and that nut is reslotted, your guitar will play better than you ever imagined.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                X