Les Paul Jr's w/ single p90

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les Paul Jr's w/ single p90

What are your thoughts on them, I'm tihnking about saving up for one this summer.

Re: Les Paul Jr's w/ single p90

The old ones kick ***. Back when I was a kid they were quite common, I've never owned one but I've played a bunch. I played a borrowed LP Junior for a while in the first band I was ever in. The sound is somewhere between a regular single coil and a humbucker, it's a GREAT distortion sound with the right amp. There are a couple of clips at Legendary Tones with a '59 Junior through a Time Machine Boost that are killer. One is into a JTM 45 and the other is into a JCM 800.

Comment

I know they don't make them anymore. So how far back?

Comment

Oh, they still make them. I ran across a new one not that long ago in a pawn shop. They're an awfully fun instrument to play. An P-90's, while not my personal favorite, really make that guitar sound good. You can pick them up for about $450. There's normally not a lot of man hours in making them (at least compared to a LP)
        www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Nothing more pure than an LP Jr. with a P-90, if you can't rock with one it's just time to go home.
          My Bands -
          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Hellion
            Oh, they still make them. I ran across a new one not that long ago in a pawn shop. They're an awfully fun instrument to play. An P-90's, while not my personal favorite, really make that guitar sound good. You can pick them up for about $450. There's normally not a lot of man hours in making them (at least compared to a LP)
            I couldn't find one on the gibson site, the closest was like a melody maker.

I just want a raw rock guitar thats fun to play.

Comment

Ya i think gibson stopped making them, and now they make the melody maker. I liek the lp jr.s more to be honest.
              Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

I saw a Jr. a few months back at a GC. New, it was in the $300 range as I recall. I know you can get a Historic RI Jr. but they go for $$. I don't know how the RI sounds, but I have a real '56 that flat out kills. When I bought it it didn't have the original pup. I put an Antiquity in it and that was that. With 500K pots, those guitars put you in the Telecaster range tonally (broadly speaking). Cool sound, but I like mine with a 250K pot and a .022 Orange Drop. Plug into a good amp and that guitar has raw blues/rock tone that puts my Historic lesters to shame.

Comment

one of my top 5 guitar crunch tones can be heard on weezers blue album. rivers (lead guitarist/singer) played ric osakic's 59 les paul jr. double cutaway.

nothing more fun to rock out with than a lp jr.
                  esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
                  fender mim standard strat
                  peavey classic 30
                  johnson j-station
                  original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
                  dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
                  yamaha f-310p acoustic
                  taylor 410 acoustic
                  "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

ebay has a lot.... check under gibson les paul junior

its an orville, but it looks killer
                    peavey classic 30
                    johnson j-station
                    yamaha f-310p acoustic
                    taylor 410 acoustic
                    "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

I'm shooting for a single cut ideally tho, but thanks.

Comment

ooo, there are lots on ebay....also, i saw a few in the guitar center in paramus, new jersey (it says you live in new york, and paramus is close the the new york border if you live near there...)
                        peavey classic 30
                        johnson j-station
                        yamaha f-310p acoustic
                        taylor 410 acoustic

Comment

That'd be like a 3+ hour drive, but if the guitar is good, no worries.

Comment

a junior is one of the few gibsons i would really like to have. they are nice and simple and sound very good. i would think a nice one would be well worth the 3 hour drive.
                            Cleveland Guitars

Comment

ooo yes, but call first, im assuming they still have them...they did a few months ago...
                              peavey classic 30
                              johnson j-station
                              yamaha f-310p acoustic
                              taylor 410 acoustic

Comment

Working...
                              X