What amp would u suggest...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What amp would u suggest...?

Alright, currently im browsing the marking for a new amp... I don't have any money yet, but Im gonna save my little pay checks till i do.
    I was sort of leaning toward a Peavey Triple XXX or Peavey 5150, but they might be a little to "heavy" for some of the stuff I play, and also Marshall, but new=expensive.

General Preferances:
    -Price=Keep it under $1000
    -Reliability
    -Preferably a head+stack
    -ALL TUBE
    -Any brand
    -more than one channel
    -Used is good, vintage as well

What I play:
    -Lots of blues, think SRV/Buddy Guy aggression to it
    -Metal (80s mostly)
    -Hard Rock (80s)

What I want:
    -Cleans good for blues
    -versatility (most handle blues but turn up the gain for 80s metal cliche stuff)
    -i'd prefer a descent amount of headroom with distortion, i DO NOT want to be too limited
    -punch/aggression
    -No harshness
    -clarity

Currently I have a Marshall MG100DFX combo, which is ok, but I really like tubers. I find the solidstate marshall to be too noisy and i get too much extra noise when i play it. It lacks clarity. If you think the Peavey 5150 models or Triple XXX is good for this stuff, tell me and elaborate a bit on their limitations. Anyway, if you need more info than I posted, ask and i will try my best to reply

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by stevie ray; 05-08-2004, 12:19 PM.
    <Insert awesome equipment here>

Fender MIM Midnite Wine Satin Strat
    Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue Amp
    Boss BD-2 Blues Driver overdrive

and a couple guitar picks

Re: What amp would u suggest...?

Hmm, do you absolutely need a stack?

Comment

Originally posted by Lee_L
      Hmm, do you absolutely need a stack?
      No, I wouldn't say it is imperitive. Combo is just fine

Comment

Hm, maybe a used DSL 50? Sounds a lot like what you want.
        Originally posted by The Minstrel
        Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

A DeVille would do everything except maybe the metal, dunno about that.

Comment

^^

Yea, I played a Marshall DSL100 at a guitar center. Loved it! But I want to make look around more to be sure. DSL 50 is on the top of my list along with the 2 peavey's i posted

The one thing i didnt like was the Lead 2 channel, it sounded like a stuffy nose, too hot and stuff... BUt I didnt play around with it enough and i might of used the wrong pickups for that channel... Other channels are great. It is set up like my MG, with the Clean/crunch channel and Lead 1/2 on the second channel. Unlike the MG, it actually sounded how it said it would sound: Crunch (classic gain) sounded just as it said it would.

However, I need more suggestions. I'm worried also about reliability... Especially with New model marshalls

Comment

Try a V-Series combo from Crate, all tube, plus digital effects (reverb and whatnot), I have the 50w, 2 12" version, I love it. You can get one for under a grand.

Comment

yea dude...... the v-series (new) or the older VC (vintage club) from crate should do it for you. i have the VC3112 (30w 1X12 combo) and while its 10 yrs old and needs a new speaker and tubes badly.....it is rockin.....ive also played newer ones and mine with new tubes and speaker.

cleans on these amps are great, they are based on a AC30 circuit
                distortion is great for blues, the took a plexi circuit for the B channel i hear
                mine has no fx (i dont like onboard fx, never sound good) no master volume, and few bells and whistles. what i do have is a single input 30 watt all tube (8 ofthem) 1X12 combo that is cream with gold trim and a brown and gold grill, (looks awesome) good reverb (not the best, but tube driven spring reverb, u could throw in an accutronics but i like crate verb, im not a verb junkie) seperate eq's per channel (also verb), and one heck of an amp that i got for $225. thats well under ur limit, so u could get a new one, or get a guitar or a 2X12 and than a cab for it, or get some tubes and speakers or stuff. it does cleans well, the gain is good. it isnt fender clean, but it is very chimey and vox like, and good for blues. the distortion can do anything from blues to metal, but not overly heavey death-metal, so u should be fine for 80's, or metal. if not, use the leftover money to get a pedal. the clean headroom is what ud expect of a class a small tube combo....nothing overly special, but good
                Godin SDXT - 59-ClassicStack-JB
                Martin D-15 - Fishman Neo-D
                Boss BD-2 - MXR dynacomp - Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 - Morley A/B/Y
                Crate VC-3112
                Brownsville NY J-Bass Copy
                Fender Bassman 60

Comment

hmmmmm there are too many options for amps these days. I'm not sure that anything can quite cover EVERYTHING you're looking for, but I've heard from ppl, and played a Marshall ModeFour, and I thought it was actually pretty versatile, and quite a good amp.
                  • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                  • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                  • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                  • G&L Tribute Comanche
                  • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                  • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                  • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

The DSL 50 was the first thing that came to mind when i read your preferance...
                    One option for you would be to get the DSL 50 and put E34L power tubes in it, they have higher headroom than the EL34s..
                    Marshall JVM 410C
                    Mesa Boogie DC-3
                    ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
                    1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
                    2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
                    2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
                    1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
                    2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
                    1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Originally posted by y2stevo
                      The DSL 50 was the first thing that came to mind when i read your preferance...
                      One option for you would be to get the DSL 50 and put E34L power tubes in it, they have higher headroom than the EL34s..
                      thats a good idea

I like blues, but also metal. Im not talking like death metal or any of that hard core stuff. Just like 80s stuff, and i kno marshalls can do that

I need headroom i hate being limited. WHat kind of tubes do the DSL 50s come standard with?

Comment

Anymore suggestions?

Comment

VHT Pitbull 45, I have one - does everything your looking for, Heads and 2X12 combos can be had for under a grand used. This is a rock - rock/blues voiced amp - it's not the high gain amp VHT is normally known for, it has some nice options only found on more modern amps (series and parallel effects loop, direct outputs, midrange tone shifts to compensate for different playing environments, Edge switch to give your single coils a little more grit and girth, presence control, class A A/B operation switch and a decent sounding reverb as well).

Comment

Well, here's a suggestion. Since you're obviously an SRV fan, I'd go with a Fender that has gorgeous cleans and get pedals to do the nasty work for you. For $1000, you can get a Hot Rod Deville 2x12 and just ignore the drive channel (I didn't like it, you might) and get some pedals for your distortion. Seriously, you can snag one off ebay for 500 or less and have 500 left to put better tubes in, maybe some better speakers and a couple of outstanding pedals.

It's really going to be hard to find all the things you want in one amp.

You need to decide if you want that amp to do incredible cleans or to have an outstanding grind to it. IMO it's easier to add grind to a great clean amp than to try to make a great grinder sound good clean.

Also, how loud do you want it to be? You playing in small clubs, garage/bedroom or stadiums?

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

DSL comes with 4 ECC83's (12AX7)'s and 2 EL34's (DSL50) OR 4 EL34's (DSL100)..

If your really after headroom i'd go for the DSL100 (noly like $100 more new) and put in E34L's then for heavier rock get an attenuator...

But I think Scott F May have a very good suggestion also...

Mabye better...
                              Marshall JVM 410C
                              Mesa Boogie DC-3
                              ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
                              1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
                              2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
                              2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
                              1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
                              2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
                              1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Working...
                              X