Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groove Tube 12ax7M Review

Don't walk... RUN to buy one!

My Triamp is a whole 'nuther beast now. The Marshall crunch is to die for as is the light crunch. The lower high gain channel has violin like sustain and the high gain channel is bone crushing (yes, it will kick the crap out of Mesa now (more articulate, really really high gain)). If I can get the clean channels tweaked a bit, I'll have my dream amp. Maybe in a year or so I'll pay Trace a visit OMG! All it took was one of these RI Mullards (in the V1 spot) to light my amp up. I previewed it before the change and put in the new tube keeping the settings the same and the difference was like night and day. Not exactly sure what NOS tubes would do to this, but it's so unbelievably rich and wonderful, I don't care.

Gearjoneser, thanks for changing my mind. 1 12ax7m, 8 JJ ECC83s and 4 Svetlana Winged C EL-34s and my amp is a force to be reckoned with.
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Re: Groove Tube 12ax7M Review

haha ... I just sent off an email to Lord Valve today to price 'em.
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

It's so rich and articulate. It sounds like I took a blanket off my amp. So much definition and low end and the crunch... the crunch! This is seriously amazing!
      Originally posted by kevlar3000
      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
      Originally posted by Zerberus
      Better is often the enemy of good
      Originally posted by ginormous
      Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I knew you'd love those tubes! I think the M stands for Monsterous! If anyone here has a Marshall, you owe it to yourself to spend $75 on a set of 3 Groove Tubes 12AX7M's. Think of it as the easiest mod you'll ever do.

I was excited when I got a set of 3, then took them to my rehearsal studio and plugged them into the Bogner Ecstasy. I found that they were almost too gainy for that amp. The Bogner was designed around the GT 12AX7C, and it still likes those pre's the best. That turned out to be good news to me, cause now I can hold onto those 3 12AX7M's to use on any Marshall I use for awhile. Right now I have some great pre tubes, EI Gold Elites, in my Jubilee 2550. I popped in the new GTM's and they totally blew me away. That Jubilee couldn't possibly sound better than it does with those new GT's. If you have a vintage Marshall, buy some.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
          I knew you'd love those tubes! I think the M stands for Monsterous! If anyone here has a Marshall, you owe it to yourself to spend $75 on a set of 3 Groove Tubes 12AX7M's. Think of it as the easiest mod you'll ever do.

I was excited when I got a set of 3, then took them to my rehearsal studio and plugged them into the Bogner Ecstasy. I found that they were almost too gainy for that amp. The Bogner was designed around the GT 12AX7C, and it still likes those pre's the best. That turned out to be good news to me, cause now I can hold onto those 3 12AX7M's to use on any Marshall I use for awhile. Right now I have some great pre tubes, EI Gold Elites, in my Jubilee 2550. I popped in the new GTM's and they totally blew me away. That Jubilee couldn't possibly sound better than it does with those new GT's. If you have a vintage Marshall, buy some.
          I spoke to one of the guys at GT the other day about these tubes and I guess they are pretty hard to get because GT can't currently keep the supply up with the demand..So where did you get yours? I'd like to try some as I'm hearing great things about these tubes also...

John
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I put the three I had into the Bad Cat. Very nice tubes.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
              I spoke to one of the guys at GT the other day about these tubes and I guess they are pretty hard to get because GT can't currently keep the supply up with the demand..So where did you get yours? I'd like to try some as I'm hearing great things about these tubes also...

John
              If you click the link in my signature, I think Todd at revolutionguitar.com has some in stock. I'm not sure, but I think they're around $23 a piece.
              I haven't tried them in a clean amp yet, but I know they'll add gain, so they seem to be best suited to Marshalls, Mesas, and other highgain amps.
              It's funny that GT can't make them fast enough, plus they're expensive. That must be proof that they've raised the bar, when it comes to 12AX7's. Anyone who still thinks NOS are better than these are in for a surprise.
              You may only need one, for the first pos. tube, but a complete set of these would probably last for as long as you own your amp, plus they'll make it sound fatter and heavier. I was told that GT reverse engineered the Mullards, and put a lot of effort into making them equal or better.

Comment

I ordered a few yesterday.
                Yes, they're in short supply, and expensive. The tooling costs were high, and the rejection rate is high. I wouldn't expect the price to come down any time soon.
                I'll probably save 'em for V1, but I'm curious to hear 'em.
                "music heals"
                facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
                  I ordered a few yesterday.
                  Yes, they're in short supply, and expensive. The tooling costs were high, and the rejection rate is high. I wouldn't expect the price to come down any time soon.
                  I'll probably save 'em for V1, but I'm curious to hear 'em.
                  Thanks to Curly and GJ for the links and the info on these tubes...Guys at Groove Tubes were raving pretty heavy about them on the phone the other day while looking for tubes for my bass player's SVT head...Sounds like some tubes I need to try as the NOS stuff is getting pretty price crazy anymore..

Curly thanks for the personal e mail about the new tubes!

John
                  Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I got mine from KCA. Now I wish I'd ordered a few more. I am about to pop for a quad of JJ EL84s. Anyone think there's anything out there in terms of new production than that? The amp shipped with Ruby's in it. Not sure what the heck they are. But, I'm too much of a tweaker to not try the JJs in there.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

I like the 12ax7m in my Plexi RI, but I think the tube loses definition with higher gain. Up to 7 or 8 I think it sounds great but above that it does not hold together well. I put a 12At7 in V3 and that seemed to work very well to offset the problem. I got it for 18.00 locally here in Minneapolis.

I then messed with my JJ ecc83s and EH 12ax7 tubes sitting around. I think the JJ is a bit flubby, not nearly as articulate, but have a nice blusey vibe if you dig that kinda thing. The EH has more gain than the GT and handles it better, I like that tube better in my Traynor, a little tighter and smoother. If GT can get the high gain more refined with this tube they will have a real winner, it is close to great but can be improved esp for the money.
                      ]
                      FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
                      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

Yeah, you really have to have several nice 12AX7's, then find out which ones work the best in a particular amp. I have to try these in a few more amps. The Bogner really loves the GT12AX7C, which is the highest quality Chinese pre. My Chieftain only holds it's sound with JJ's across the board. I'm real curious to see what these mullard copies sound like in a vintage Fender amp.

Comment

Working...
                        X