What is YOUR ideal Strat setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is YOUR ideal Strat setup

I was wondering how you guys have your strats setup.

What is YOUR fret board radius, and what is your relief and string height.

Also what have you guys found to be TOO low or too high?

Re: What is YOUR ideal Strat setup

welcome ...

well, it's an odd question in that everyone is different, and likes a different feel

that said, my #1 is a '94 G & L Legacy with a 12" radius, set up pretty much as it was the day I got it new - very easy action, but the saddles are set lower than the setup specs ... the relief is probably about .010-.012", but I haven't checked in a long time, since it plays great as is
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

I like strats in E with 10's, and strats in Eb with 11's. I like medium low action with as little buzz as possible, and all the trems are anchored down tight.

The most unique thing I do is to replace the E,B,G saddles with Graphtech stringsavers, but keep the stock metal saddles on the wound strings. Looks a little different, but the string to string balance is perfect that way. The low notes have the bell tone and the high notes have the icepick taken off. Plus, I never break strings anymore.

Gimme Fralin Vin Hots, Duncan Antiquities, or Fender CS Fat 50's, and I'm happy.

To me, strats sound huge when run in stereo with an American AND British sounding amp setup. A Fender Super Reverb and Matchless in stereo with a strat sounds like the 6 string equivalent to a grand piano.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Strat 1 - Standard E - .011 to .052 - Low action - neck shimmed back a couple of degrees because of the Floyd Rose bridge. I set the bottom of the bridge to be level with the surface of the guitar.

Strat 2 - Drop C - .013 to .056 - medium action - bridge blocked, I use the saddles to adjust the action hight. Also, I left the springs in, I like the sound they make.

When I set mine up, I tinker with the action until the buzz is gone, then I raise it just a hair more. I only mess with the action when it gives me trouble, which is every few years, so I really couldn't give you any measurments. Nor do I know the fretboard radius.
        || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

i have my strats action fairly high, because i hit the strings hard, and they would buzz like mad any other way.
          "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

My FB radius is 12", my bridge radius is 16". action is pretty high for fretting but low for slide, and very very very little if at all relief.
            This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
              I like strats in E with 10's, and strats in Eb with 11's. I like medium low action with as little buzz as possible, and all the trems are anchored down tight.

The most unique thing I do is to replace the E,B,G saddles with Graphtech stringsavers, but keep the stock metal saddles on the wound strings. Looks a little different, but the string to string balance is perfect that way. The low notes have the bell tone and the high notes have the icepick taken off. Plus, I never break strings anymore.

Gimme Fralin Vin Hots, Duncan Antiquities, or Fender CS Fat 50's, and I'm happy.

To me, strats sound huge when run in stereo with an American AND British sounding amp setup. A Fender Super Reverb and Matchless in stereo with a strat sounds like the 6 string equivalent to a grand piano.
              Must try that trick with the graphtechs.

Mine are 7.5 radius, medium action, 10-46. I use GHS nickel rockers, which are slightly flatwound for a warmer tone. To me, they are critical in getting strats voiced the way I like, especially maple neck ones. My trem sits flat, but is set up with three springs for downward use.
              Originally posted by Jolly
              ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

If you try that half and half mix of steel and graphite saddles, you barely even notice it by looking at it. I was breaking lots of strings, especially when I use higher tension 11's, and outfitted my strats with the stringsavers. I loved the results, but it seemed as if the wound strings were sounding deader, quicker. The lows were losing the clarity and belltone after the strings were a week old. I finally restored those saddles with the original metal ones, and now the string to string balance is perfect. It makes the plain strings sound almost as fat as the wound strings....no shrillness.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Mine is weird '82 model called 'The Strat' with a vintage radius. I have it set up (like all my guitars) with 9s, and action just above where it would start buzzing. I don't like to work too hard.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                  X