finding aged tonewoods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finding aged tonewoods

does anyone kow where i can either get a piece of aged white pine or have someone make a telecaster shaped body out of white pine? i know it sounds kinda weird but it has tonal properties something like ash but with a little more snap. I have no ide where i can find a piece big enough for a guitar body, wormoth doesn't do it and i have just found one person that has aged white pine and his guitars go for $2800. that is something i can not afford. any help would be appreciated.
    Cleveland Guitars

hmmm, you can actually (it will sound stupid)m, but try a lumber yard. also, see if you can cnotact a furniture maker.
    esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
    fender mim standard strat
    peavey classic 30
    johnson j-station
    original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
    dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
    yamaha f-310p acoustic
    taylor 410 acoustic
    "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

where is Lew when i need him? he might ge able to get some.

thanks xerxes i never thought about a furniture maker
      Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Try calling Tommy Rosamond @ USA Custom Guitars. I don't know about white pine, but I think he has some spruce. No, it's not exactly the same thing, but it's close. Plus, there's got to be a reason a lot of acoustic guitars have spruce tops (i.e. efficiency of vibration transmission and strength to weight ratio).

The folks over on the Musical Instrument Makers Forum (www.mimf.com) should be able to help you find just about any kind of wood too.

Chip
        Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
        Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
        Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
        SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
        SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
        "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

Re: finding aged tonewoods

Originally posted by mrfjones
          I have no ide where i can find a piece big enough for a guitar body
          Have you found any boards that are ~1/2 the size of a body. If so make a 2-piece body. I may be difficult to find a board wide enough for a 1-piece. I'll check my supplier here or you can try them.

Woodworkers Shop has been in business over 70 years and has the knowledge and expertise to be your woodworking supply and information resource.

Comment

thanks scooter, they have some pine but i am not sure what kind. I will have to call them and find out.
            Cleveland Guitars

Comment

I think the lumber yard idea is a good one.

I might suggest a place that specializes in architectural recyling.

The question I'd have is how well pine holds up over the years.

Also, I'm not convinced you really need old pine, just dry wood.

I kind of doubt that Leo went out and shopped for old pine for that first tele!

(Not that there's anything wrong with that! )
              "music heals"
              facebook

Comment

the only reason i want old pine, is because it would have aged 50 years from the time leo used it. thats really what i am going for, but good dried wood would work too. i have found some, but now i need to know who can make me the body. I know i can not do it, i don't have the tools.
                Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Blueline here is a luthier who seems to make his customers very happy. (don't have direct experience myself)

USA Custom Guitars will make a body using wood you provide.

Chip
                  Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
                  Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
                  Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
                  SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
                  SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
                  "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

thanks for all the replies guys. i think i have found two places that can get the wood for me. now to see if i can find blueline or any other luthier that would be willing to take on this task
                    Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Working...
                    X