Help Amp Modders. Tell me about my tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Amp Modders. Tell me about my tubes

Hey guys. I just got amy Fender Blues Deluxe. The previous owner claims to have replaced the tubes a few weeks ago.
    I was wondering if you could tell me if they were corect and what I could expect from them.
    The reason I am asking is I had a friend play through it and he was telling me the clean was starting to breakup arround 4 on the volume. Is that the tube or the speaker. The speaker is stock it says Fender made by eminance

The tubes are electro harmonix 2, 6l6EH and three
    12AX7EH They look new but I wouldn't know.

A little Chart on the inside of the cabinet shows it calls for

2, 6L6GC/5881 and 3, 12AX7A the ones in there don't
    have the A after the 7

Thanks for your time
    His Grace is Amazing

Re: Help Amp Modders. Tell me about my tubes

yep, they are right, but cheap. (sorry, couldn't pass that up!)

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

you might also pick up some 12AT7's as well and experiment with that sound. You can very slightly change the headroom situation on that amp, but not by much.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F
        yep, they are right, but cheap. (sorry, couldn't pass that up!)
        Thanks Pal.

So what should I be looking at to replace them.

or should I let them go and look into a speaker
        His Grace is Amazing

Comment

Lou, go with some Svetlana 6l6's, and some JJ 12ax7's. ( or, some Groove Tubes 6l6's, I like the " White" Groove Tubes. They will stay "cleaner" longer ) I highly suggest the JJ 12ax7's !!!!
          Only The Strong Survive

Comment

I don't have experience with that amp, but my Blues Jr. now has all Electro Harmonix tubes in it from TheTubeStore.com and I'm really happy with them.

Also, a replacement speaker from Weber VST was absolutely the best dollar-to-improvement upgrade I ever made. They're great people and will help you figure out which speaker is most likely to fit your needs based on your amp, guitar, style, and tone targets.

Again - don't know about that amp, but the Eminence speaker in the Blues Jr. was flabby crap.

Chip
            Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
            Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
            Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
            SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
            SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
            "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

Originally posted by 59paul
              Lou, go with some Svetlana 6l6's, and some JJ 12ax7's. ( or, some Groove Tubes 6l6's, I like the " White" Groove Tubes. They will stay "cleaner" longer ) I highly suggest the JJ 12ax7's !!!!
              Thanks

Where do I get those tubes?

Thanks Chip I was looking into the Weber As I got a recomendtion from them
              His Grace is Amazing

Comment

Click my link in my signature for tubes at the best price. Since he told you the EH's were new, I'd maybe keep the 6L6's in there till they wear out, then replace them with Svetlana or JJ 6L6's. You should change those pre tubes ASAP, tho. EH's sound best in amps with a highgain channel. For that amp, the JJ's for $7 a piece will be the right tubes. I think Marin said he'd put EH pre's in his ENGL combo, then realized the JJ's sounded best. If you play more clean, get a nice Jensen speaker, which you can also get from revolutionguitar.com. If you want more dirt outta the amp, get a Celestion Vin 30.
                Last edited by Gearjoneser; 05-09-2004, 09:40 PM.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                  Click my link in my signature for tubes at the best price. Since he told you the EH's were new, I'd maybe keep the 6L6's in there till they wear out, then replace them with Svetlana or JJ 6L6's. You should change those pre tubes ASAP, tho. EH's sound best in amps with a highgain channel. For that amp, the JJ's for $7 a piece will be the right tubes. I think Marin said he'd put EH pre's in his ENGL combo, then realized the JJ's sounded best. If you play more clean, get a nice Jensen speaker, which you can also get from revolutionguitar.com. If you want more dirt outta the amp, get a Celestion Vin 30. It probably has a Peavey labeled Eminence in it now.
                  Thanks
                  What do you think of putting a diff. tube for the reverb I just came across that Idea somewere
                  His Grace is Amazing

Comment

Lou, Gearjoneser buys his tubes at the same exact place that I do> Revolution guitar.com Todd ( at Revoultion ) is a super fella. He'll hook ya up .
                    Only The Strong Survive

Comment

I just bought some tubes from Revolution today. Quad of JJ el84's and four more of the Groove Tube mullard copies.

If you are even considering a new speaker, you reallyought to look into the new US-made Emminence speaker lines, the Patriots and the Red Coats.

I have a Red Fang which is an Alnico speaker very similar to the way-too expensive Celestion Blue Alnicos. Very nice mids, smoother highs and tighter lows. Compresses really nice at high volumes.

In fact, I like them so much, I just ordered another one from Avatar to slap int my new Bad Cat. I'm going to try a pair of the Red Fangs in there. The old AC30's shipped with teh Celestion Blues. I'm going to give it a try.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Working...
                      X