banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone used MusicMan 112RP100 amp wots it like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone used MusicMan 112RP100 amp wots it like?

I might be able to get hold of a 112RP 100 Music Man combo that requires repair (doesn't work at the moment) which could be an interesting project if it's worth it.
    Has anyone played/got/know the specs and/or characteristics of these amp?
    Thanks for any info on what tey're like to play and live with.

Re: Anyone used MusicMan 112RP100 amp wots it like?

I had a 50watt Musicman head a few years ago. I don't know which
    model it was ?? But it was a Hybreed S.S. preamp Tube power section.
    2) EL 34s (the U.S. 6CA7) It was very Fender like ,Good cleans
    nice verb and trem. Overall a pretty good amp. I wish I had held onto it.
    http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

I have the 65 watt 2 10" combo - ss pre, EL34 tube power. Bought it new almost 30 years ago. Still a great amp, especially if you are running clean. I've run the POD 2.0 and the Digitech RP-1 (you read that right) in front of it with great results.
      '99 Epi LP LE stock -->
      Digitech Bad Monkey, VS Jekyll&Hyde V2, VS Route 66 V2 --> Line6 Pod XTLive -->
      Peavey Classic 30 1-12, Musicman 65 2-10

Comment

Had a HD130 I think its name was.
        4x10's and four EL-34 output tubes, ss preamp.
        Loud earsplitting cleans and a terrible overdrive
        Good with pedals though.

Comment

I had an HD 130 with 2-12's.
          Nice for a hybrid amp. The problem with MM's though, is that they put a lot of juice on the plates of the power tubes, and most modern tubes can't stand up to that over time.
          "music heals"
          facebook

Comment

Hmmmmmm.
            Good with pedals eh? I think this might be just the vehicle for the digitech GNX pedal that normally sits sulking in a corner cos nobody will dance with it.
            Apparently this one has 6L6s in it, but I'm not certain and I think the preamp trnsistors are blown. I'll keep you informed if it all comes together.
            Bit wierd tho', SS preamp, tube power - sounds arse-about-face for us errrm, tradishnalishts.
            Ta for all the info folks.

Comment

I don't know if I'd buy that as a fixer upper unless it's dirt cheap.

Like Rid said, music mans sound decent clean but have a terrible overdrive.

I've had a head and combo go through my hands and thought they sounded like an average Fender with shot tubes. Not bad, but not good. I will say that the tremolo, which sounds more like a vibe, is incredible on the tremolo heads. It doesn't sound anything like a Fender tremolo. Sounds real chorusey like a Dejavibe.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

It's free, so no worries about the resale VS. investment quotient. I think alll in all it will be OK with the pedals from what you've all said and I can play all day with the tubes and a bias setup (sic).

Comment

One good thing about the one I had was that I met one of the best amp techs, Tracy Sands, when I needed work done on that MM amp. Tracy worked at both Rickenbacker and MM, and later Bad Cat, early on in that company.

A top notch tech.
                  "music heals"
                  facebook

Comment

MSPLINES,
                    I have a Music Man RP210, it has performed very nicely as my Jazz, and clean tone box for some time now. Unfortunately, it has almost no gain and doesn't really rock well for me. Another complaint I have with it is, while it's cleans are really warm and chimey, they don't seem to have enough headroom. I think the 112 might have a nicer boomier tone with a little more headroom. Or maybe my speakers & or tubes are due to be changed out, but until then, i only ever use this amp as my lil bedroom practice amp. I have since purchased a Mesa Mark IV... I haven't looked back since.
                    As far as the specs... I haven't really looked that closely so I can't be much help there.
                    Good luck.
                    Lou Driver
                    MIA Fender Deluxe Strat (Surfer Set/Custom Bridge)
                    MIJ Strat APS1/APS1/PATB-3
                    MIA Tele APTL-1/APTR-1
                    69' SF Bassman/ 212 Avatar Cab.
                    Ibanez LR10 Semi Hollow Body
                    Martin D28

Comment

I used a 50 watt 112 Music Man amp for years. I agree, they don't do the high gain thing well, but they do have a nice tasteful bluesy distortion in the lead channel (Think ZZ Top's "Cheap Sunglasses"). It was a great sounding clean amp, though. I would assume that a 100 watt version would sound similar with more headroom. Mine used 6L6's in the output section, though I don't imagine it would be any mean trick to rebias for EL34's.
                      www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

I think its destiny is a chimey clean pedal pusher with some squeaky clean 6L6s in it. I won't know 'till Friday night if it's in really bad nick.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellion
                          I used a 50 watt 112 Music Man amp for years. I agree, they don't do the high gain thing well, but they do have a nice tasteful bluesy distortion in the lead channel (Think ZZ Top's "Cheap Sunglasses"). It was a great sounding clean amp, though. I would assume that a 100 watt version would sound similar with more headroom. Mine used 6L6's in the output section, though I don't imagine it would be any mean trick to rebias for EL34's.
                          At least the music man amps sounded better than those *Legend* amps that Marshall made (I think it was them) S.S. front end, and tube power stages ... ugly, nasty overdrive ... maybe if you used a Hotplate, Power Brake, or Power Soak (or other attenuator) on them and just let the power tubes workout with out that premap clipping they'd sound good. I don't know about tis particualr Music Man amp (the one the person that strted this thread is speaking of), but that 1-12 50 watter, if that's the one I'm thinking of, it's good some nice tone choices (bright, deep switches, plus a good sweep on the tone controls), nice reverb as well ... I don't remember tremolo though ... could have had it though. It always thought that they were pretty well built, and pretty tough amps. Would depend on what was wrong with the amp that needs repair though.
                          ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                          ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                          Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Working...
                          X