Dinky vs Soloist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dinky vs Soloist

hi guys...i was wondering if anyone have tried both or any of this jacksons, and tell me your thoughts about anything you see interesting on them... i already know about their construction and pups (dinky w/EMGs Soloist w/JB-59') i don´t care of the pups, cause i like both (i already have duncans and emgs on my guitars), but i wish to know if they feel sweet when playing them, their neck (my bandmate has one old jackson, "professional" model, and it has the best neck i have played ever, even better than the ibanez ones), etc etc...

thanks dudes
    Peavey Studio Pro 112

LTD Explorer 400 w/ EMG 81 set
    Ibanez SZ 520 QM w/ Dimebucker + 59'
    Seagull S12+ acoustic

Boss Digital Delay DD-3, Super Chorus CH-1, Chromatic Tuner TU-2. Dunlop Mr. Crybaby

Re: Dinky vs Soloist

Hey,
    If you think the neck on that Jackson was good, try a USA made Jackson neck! They are the best i have i ever played, and now that i own one , ill never go back! i PLayed one the dinky models also, it was was one of the imports that is a lower line model, dx10d , and even it was a great guitar to play. Had awsome action and attack! i'm going to get a dk2 sometime to keep in another tunning. good luck!

Comment

zerb should have some good info.....
      esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
      fender mim standard strat
      peavey classic 30
      johnson j-station
      original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
      dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
      yamaha f-310p acoustic
      taylor 410 acoustic
      "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Originally posted by JacksonShredHead
        Hey,
        If you think the neck on that Jackson was good, try a USA made Jackson neck! They are the best i have i ever played, and now that i own one , ill never go back! i PLayed one the dinky models also, it was was one of the imports that is a lower line model, dx10d , and even it was a great guitar to play. Had awsome action and attack! i'm going to get a dk2 sometime to keep in another tunning. good luck!
        yeah, i´m going to buy that DK-1 "usa selected series" dinky or the same series soloist. i dunno of the model my friend has but he paid near 600€ 10 years ago, so it could be one usa made jackson...

the ibanez prestige necks are as good as this ones (my k7 feels sweet!! the best seven around imo...11 neck) , but i dunno of the dk-1 and the sl2h...
        Peavey Studio Pro 112

Seagull S12+ acoustic

Boss Digital Delay DD-3, Super Chorus CH-1, Chromatic Tuner TU-2. Dunlop Mr. Crybaby

Comment

Hmm, for starters, any Jackson with "professional" on the headstock is made in Japan. But the high end ones (XL, and Custom) are on par with the USA instruments of the time, the XL and Customs were AFAIK produced both in Japan and in Ontario, CA. Specs are 100% identical, BTW.

As far as the axes mentioned: The main difference between a Dinky and a Soloist is that (production) Dinkys are Bolt-on, while Soloists are Neck-thru. The Soloist neck is a bit thicker, but not significantly slower or any less comfortable. Dinkys are a tad smaller, as well, btw.

I play and love both as my main guitars, and own 2 of each (´96 Custom Shop Dinky Reverse, ´97 DK-1, ´87 Charvel Model 6, ´88 Soloist). Just don´t ask me to choose between the two. THe Soloists are a bit fatter tonally, but also a wee bit less articulate. But I can play all 24 frets effortlessly, the highest regions of bolt-ons I prefer to avoid
          Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

mmmm...so, which one is cheaper??
            Last edited by VicToR; 05-10-2004, 02:14 PM. Reason: grammar duties, still learning to write english properly
            Peavey Studio Pro 112

Seagull S12+ acoustic

Comment

Originally posted by VicToR
              mmmm...so, which one is cheaper??
              They cost about the same

But from what I´m understanding you like thin necks, there the Dinky is about as fast as it gets (Just drove my DK-1 on a new track @260bpm without breaking too much of a sweat )

But the Soloist is ultimately more playable IMO.

The question boils down to (in a nutshell):

Are you a more percussive, expressive player that generally avoids the 20+ frets but needs absolute speed? Dinky.

Or are you a "soloist" that tries to cover as many bases as possible without getting lost tonally or on the fretboard? Then the Soloist may float your boat better.

But either is a beautiful guitar for a cheap price, and both can be seen in the hands of wuite a few semi-pro and pro players. I think I´m a good example, I love both so much I refuse to choose, I´d call all 4 my main axe
              Last edited by Zerberus; 05-10-2004, 02:30 PM.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

...i´d have to consult this to the oracle then
                Peavey Studio Pro 112

Seagull S12+ acoustic

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
                  They cost about the same

But from what I´m understanding you like thin necks, there the Dinky is about as fast as it gets (Just drove my DK-1 on a new track @260bpm without breaking too much of a sweat )

But the Soloist is ultimately more playable IMO.

The question boils down to (in a nutshell):

Are you a more percussive, expressive player that generally avoids the 20+ frets but needs absolute speed? Dinky.

Or are you a "soloist" that tries to cover as many bases as possible without getting lost tonally or on the fretboard? Then the Soloist may float your boat better.

But either is a beautiful guitar for a cheap price, and both can be seen in the hands of wuite a few semi-pro and pro players. I think I´m a good example, I love both so much I refuse to choose, I´d call all 4 my main axe
                  mmm, after this... i think that the neck is the most important thing of an axe, so if i am going to sound more expressive because of the neck i prefer that more than being getting lost tonally (on the fretboard??) but btw i am the lead player of one of my bands and the another lead player of the other one...
                  Last edited by VicToR; 05-10-2004, 02:54 PM.
                  Peavey Studio Pro 112

Seagull S12+ acoustic

Comment

The "expressiveness" and articulation comes from the added brightness and faster response of the bolt-on, not the neck profile.

I´d definitely try both if at all possible. If nothing else, stop by my pad if you´re in Germany any time soon

Comment

whatever, i want expressive and articulated sounds...the problem is that trying a guitar one hour or even 2 ain´t enough to decide...i did it last week...and so i asked the forum...but if you, (that knows by playing a lot of time with them how they feel or sound, etc) tell me that the dinky is better to get articulated sounds and "expressiveness", i can decide now what will i get...i have a winner...i´ll go for the dinky

ok...so THANKS a lot dudes (also xerxes and jacksonshredhead) ...and btw i want to travel germany as soon as possible...if i do, i will tell you and pay for a couple beers or whatever right?

see ya
                      Peavey Studio Pro 112

Seagull S12+ acoustic

Comment

Working...
                      X