No announcement yet.

What's a good surge protector for amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a good surge protector for amps?

Tried to get in some practice today before work when the power went out. And on, and off and on........ Oh man, I don't think my amp liked that at all! Where can I buy a good surge protector and how much do they cost? Thanks.

Re: What's a good surge protector for amps?

The Furman stuff is good. Start around $40 and go up, depending on how many bells and whistles ya want. Or, you can use a good quality strip, like the kind offices plug their computers into. I think these start around $20, and can be bought at most any place like Office Depot, Lowes, Circuit City, etc... Make sure it has Surge Protection. ( Some of em are just extension outlets )
    Only The Strong Survive

Comment

As a general rule the more you pay the more hits they'll take. Each time you get a surge it burns out a stage of the protector, some are only good for one surge.

Comment

Thanks, guys. I'll definatley be checking these out.

Comment

The Furman is the real deal, that's the only reason I paid so much for their pedal board. It cuts down on the hum and hiss too. Great stuff.
          Originally posted by kevlar3000
          I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
          Originally posted by Zerberus
          Better is often the enemy of good
          Originally posted by ginormous
          Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
            The Furman is the real deal, that's the only reason I paid so much for their pedal board. It cuts down on the hum and hiss too. Great stuff.
            DITTO!! I invested $300 into a Furman SPB8 and it is more than just surge protection. Beside the 3 grounded outlets for amps, and the 10 outlets for 9VDC, it has a patch bay with two effects loops. This isnt just a normal patch bay, it is wired to eliminate hiss from daisy chains. Not to mention that every thing is secured in place with velcro and stored in an included gig bag. When you setup, all you have to do is plug the guitar in the input and the amp in the output and rock on! No boring setups while the angry mob awaits another rendition of Heaven's Door!! Whatever you purchase, ensure it is a surge protector and not just a extension cable with an on/off switch. Most of the decent office type protectors list their liability limits on the packaging ranging from $100,000 on up...
            Last edited by gordon_39422; 05-10-2004, 08:39 PM.
            ~ Life In Every Breath~

www.gordonsgroovyguitars.com

Comment

Forget surge protection, go for power conditioning.

When it comes to protecting your expensive amp and effects, do you really want to rely on a $20 surge protector?

I have a Furman PL-Plus. Not only does it work as a top of the line surge protector, but it also cleans up the noise your amp can pick up from using house current (60 cycle hum, line noise, ect). The PL-Plus also has a voltmeter on it which will tell you if your over or under powered, which is handy when setting up on a stage.

The PL-8's are still good for surge protection, but have a less noise filtering ability.

I don't know much about the new Series II conditioners, except that they're better at eliminating line noise.
              || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Anything that Furman makes for that purpose ...PERIOD! Look up there site, and look thru it.I think they have some power strip looking things now as well.
                ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Yep Furman is the thing for that!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X