banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

suggestions for a new amp in december!!! plz help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggestions for a new amp in december!!! plz help!

Hey guys as you can tell i need some definate advice in the amp area! sorry that im asking since there was a post yesterday but i have different requirements. Im going to be very descriptive of the perfect amp, so if you could please give me some amps to go try out, point me in the right direction or anything else, please please please help me lol.

Priceage: willing to go up to around 1500, maybe even 1600 USD

Wattage: anything from 50-100 tube power will do, remember please no solid states (im a tone snob)

Tone: As you can tell from my name, rhandy rhoads type 80s metal distortion is a must. Needs good crunch that wont flab out at high levels. Generous amount of gain, i will be doing some thrash metal. If possible an ok clean would be nice, but im mainly a dirty player.

Size: must be a combo, if weight exceeds 50 lbs, tell me if the tones worth it!

Types of tubes: would like them to be 6l6's, but its cool if its el34's

That should do it guys, thanks in advance for any of your advice!!!- Andrew

Re: suggestions for a new amp in december!!! plz help!

5150 combo fits that description almost perfectly, only it's about 85lbs. I think it's worth the tone though, and has waaay more gain than you'll ever need. If you want more of a Marshally tone, I'd say go with Laney.
    Watch My Videos
    Photography
    www.myspace.com/thebillyhong
    "Anything worth living for is worth suffering for."

Comment

naw not really a marshall fan. Theres one thing that made me lean away from a 5150. Someone told me that the 5150II really bites. Hows the new production line combos? Im really considering going down and trying one out at a local shop. ANy other comments? Is it closer in tone to a mesa? Thanks

Comment

the 5150 combo has insane amounts of gain....but i put it into a marshallish type of crunch area.....think EVH crunch, but a bit differnt, and with the abillity to have even more gain and crunch! its insane....but its darn loud and really kicks A S S....unfortunately the cleans are not too good at all, but the combo is said to have a bit better cleans than the heads.... ive played both, and there was a little differnce, but not enough to me to pick one over the other....

theres obviously the marshall DSL or possibly one of the 30th anniversary models....id pick either of those (especially the DSL) cause i dont need anywhere near the gain of the 5150, and i dont want that much compression either.... the DSL may not be as much as a metal monster, but it has sweet cleans and "breathes" more than the 5150, it has more character and versatility...

Mesa products i do not care for, thats just me
        http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
        >cord<
        1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

hmm so worth it to check out the 5150 combo? hows the dsl 40 combo for 80s metal and hard rock?

Comment

If you're not really into Marshall, you won't want a DSL. The 5150 pretty much sums it up.
            Originally posted by kevlar3000
            I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
            Originally posted by Zerberus
            Better is often the enemy of good
            Originally posted by ginormous
            Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

yeah definately check out the 5150.....ive not played the dsl40, and i also dont play metal or hard rock.... so i didnt really test the DSL for as much gain as i could get

if your dishin out this much money....play every amp you can get your hands on that even just has a possibility of bein somethin you might want..even if you have to spend a couple hours in a music store, you just gotta test stuff out, thats part of the process... if your waitin till december, youll have plenty of time to research and check out plenty of amps........ if you get it down to 5 or 6 amps that you think might fit, try to go out and play them, because come time when you buy your amp and you havent played all your options, your gonna be lefting thinking "but i wonder what this (fill in the blank) amp would sound like compared to the one i just bought"

and please dont take this as being negative, im just offering advice.....i realize your just posting here to get some ideas and options for what you want....... hope this all works out for ya man
              http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
              >cord<
              1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

i completely agree flank, thanks for reinforcing this. ALso some dude at guitar center said dont buy peavey, is this true? ive heard there tube amps rule

Comment

1500-1600= Messa/Boogie

500-1000=Marshall
                  Heavy Metal is a 73 tonne Main Battle Tank :headbang:

B.C. Rich USA ST-III w/ Seymour Duncan Hot Rails Neck/Middle, Duncan Custom Bridge. :firedevil

Comment

which mesa we talking about panzer? i played the rect-o-verb and it was really good, any suggestions? thanks

Comment

A guy I know has a Dual Rectifier 3 channel 100 watt head, I personally think it kicks some serious ass, one of the only amp heads I like more than the marshall JCM800, It has some cool tones, Very versatile head aswell, Can get some Nice vintage sounds out of it aswell as Some killer modern sounds. Im not sure about the kick in the nuts high gain sounds for thrashing, My buddy usually never plays that stuff when im around, Ill ask him for sure to see if it will make those sounds. From what I know to this date, Marshall and Mesa are some of the highest quality best sounding amps on the market, Im in love with the JCM800 but Im also beginning to like the Mesa/Boogie amps. Im not sure about peavey though, although Their new Amp head JSX or whatever is getting some good reviews, I dont know anything about it but it might be worth your while to look into.
                      Heavy Metal is a 73 tonne Main Battle Tank :headbang:

B.C. Rich USA ST-III w/ Seymour Duncan Hot Rails Neck/Middle, Duncan Custom Bridge. :firedevil

Comment

thanks panzer, any others?

Comment

Although you're not into marshalls I'd say definitly try out the DSL,

Great amps.....
                          Marshall JVM 410C
                          Mesa Boogie DC-3
                          ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
                          1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
                          2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
                          2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
                          1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
                          2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
                          1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

try a bogner ecstacy head. the best amp you can get, anywhere.

Comment

thanks again guys, hows the rect-o-verbs reliability? i think the tones amazing! any people agree? anyways im gunna go into guitar center with my flying v and test out some amps

any more suggestions?> thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X