question for 5150 combo owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question for 5150 combo owners

Hey if you own the 5150 combo could ya do me a favor...

I understand this is a closed-back combo. can you tell me if you have access to the speaker cable that goes from the amp to the sealed 2x12 section?

can you unplug this cable from the amp, speaker compartment, or both?

how long is this speaker cable? I mean, can it be pulled out somewhat?

hey thanks!

Re: question for 5150 combo owners

If you take the upper back panel off where the tubes are you can unplug it. Its a 1/4 jack. On the speakers its just quick connects that come right off. I wanted to run a thd hotplate on mine and the lead was not long enough so I bought a speaker cable and cut off one end and got the right connectors for the speakers. I also had to slightly enlarge the hole where the cable passes through cause the speaker lead was larger.

Comment

What Farmer Ted said....except my cable was long enough to run to the hotplate (just barely) but I had to leave the back grill off.
      Low wattage rocks!
      Bumbox Lead 1
      Orange Tiny Terror
      Vox 120VTH
      ----------------------
      Gibson LP Standard - SG Supreme
      Agile LP-2500 - Jackson JSX-94

Comment

thanks for the replies!

the Hot Plate was exactly what I had in mind. I have a chance to buy a 5150 combo in mint condition for $300 but I live in an apartment. I really wanna get away from the digital modeling crap and buy this amp, but the volume and massive air-movement is a concern

could you tell me where you keep the volumes on your 5150 combo when using the Hot Plate? and what level of attentuation do you guys use?

also, would I need to get the 16 or 8 ohm model of Hot Plate?

thanks again bros

Comment

Man I cant remember which one for the internal speakers. I know I used the 8 ohm when I pushed both the internal and an external 2x12.

As far as volume goes...I had mine on 4-5 and then attenuated however low I wanted to go. You still need to push air to get the speakers moving or it sounded pretty bland. The combo with the volume on 2 will have letters from the apartment on your door in no time. Those amps are monsters. They are very loud with a big bottom end which equates to the bass thumping in everyones apartment around you.

Thats a great deal on the combo.

J
          Low wattage rocks!
          Bumbox Lead 1
          Orange Tiny Terror
          Vox 120VTH
          ----------------------
          Gibson LP Standard - SG Supreme
          Agile LP-2500 - Jackson JSX-94

Comment

Working...
          X