Opinions on Baker guitars ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on Baker guitars ?

A friend of mine came home with a nice Baker B1 guitar , carved top, Seth Lovers equiped , great playing and sounding !!!
    I'm stuck with the tone and playability of this axe and yes, it's a GAS attack !!!

But my friend told me that "Baker guitars" is no more owned by Gene Baker but by Ed Roman . I don't know this guy but his reputation is so a so .
    BTW , whatever a reputation , what about the "new" Baker products ?
    Is the tone and quality still on the same level ?
    Is Gene Baker still involved in the production or any meaning of the process ?
    Has any of you , SD Friends, experience with Bakers (old or/and new) ?

Thanks for sharing !
    Pickups used :
    Les Paul: A2'59/'PGn ; SP90-1/SP90-1
    PRS Santana 1: Phat Cats
    PRS CU22 : SLb/'59n ; A2'59b/PGn ; Phat Cats
    PRS McCarty : A2P/A2P ; SL/SL
    PRS Singlecut : Ant/Ant ; SLb/59n
    PRS Modern Eagle : SLb/Antn
    PRS Hollow : Ant/Ant
    PRS Mc Soap : SP90-1/SP90-3 ;SP90-1/SP90-1/SP90-3
    PRS Mc Deluxe : Antiquity II minis
    Strat : APS1TwBg/APS1rwrp/APS1T; APS1TwBg/SSL1rwrp/SSL1;Antiquity II Set;Antiquity Texas Hot Set
    Teles : 59b/PGn ; Ant set ; JDb/SSL1rwrp/SSL1
    SG : SP90-1/SP90-1

Re: Opinions on Baker guitars ?

Our fellow Forum member Scott Lerner (ScottL) plays Bakers....He sounds GREAT, but I'm guessing he'd sound pretty good playing a stick w/2 strings attached!!!

Sorry, but listening to his tunes are the only Baker experience I have......that I know of!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
    Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
    FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Yes, Ed Roman does own the name "Baker Guitars". Gene Baker is currently building guitars with another group of guys (last I heard, anyways).. can't remember who currently. Gene Baker isn't involved whatsoever with the new Baker guitars.. they simply bear his brand name.

We had a B1 at the shop I work at a while back.. nice looking instrument, but it was fetching $2k USED. Not sure if it's THAT nice.
      -Alex

*Proud Owner and Player of Guage guitars, Warmoth guitars, and Orange amps*

Originally posted by HamerPlyr
      I'm already wearing the costume, and Fredericks of Hollywood on the corset and also on the panties, which, of course, have the "convenience crotch".

Comment

Well, he was gonna partner with Ernie Ball at one point, but decided to go on his own. That makes his old guitars "collector's items" I guess.

He has an excellent reputation.

I have a friend who just bought a Baker, but I haven't played 'em, myself.
        "music heals"
        facebook

Comment

I've checked them out, but wonder if the resale value of them will drop when the "boutique newness" of them wears off. I know tone guru Robben Ford was using them for awhile, as well as other great players, but I don't think they're any better than a good PRS. You have a ton of killer PRS's, so I'd just get those setup like butter and put your favorite Duncans in. I don't think you can ask for much more than that. Honestly, I know Baker's are great, great guitars, but I think the PRS body shape is more timeless and appealing. So many of these new boutique guitar companies, like McInturff and Baker, just look like variations on the PRS theme. Still Gas worthy, tho.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
            Well, he was gonna partner with Ernie Ball at one point, but decided to go on his own. That makes his old guitars "collector's items" I guess.

He has an excellent reputation.

I have a friend who just bought a Baker, but I haven't played 'em, myself.
            Yeah, I'd heard that too. Didn't realise it hadn't come to fruition.

I saw the guy from Pillar using one at one stage. Last time I saw him he was using a Les Paul though.

Comment

personaly, i think they look killer!!
              esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
              fender mim standard strat
              peavey classic 30
              johnson j-station
              original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
              dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
              yamaha f-310p acoustic
              taylor 410 acoustic
              "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Thanks for sharing , friends.

Truth that Bakers are great but highly priced too !

BTW, I really like my friend's axe . It's a different playing and tone from my PRSs and that's what interest me.

Also, the Bakers are quite hard to find here in France , so I keep on investigating !
                Pickups used :
                Strat : APS1TwBg/APS1rwrp/APS1T; APS1TwBg/SSL1rwrp/SSL1;Antiquity II Set;Antiquity Texas Hot Set

Comment

If you are keen on getting of one of the original Baker guitars then visit guitar hanger who have some in stock? If my memory serves me correctly only a thousand guitars were made by Gene.

http://www.guitarhangar.com/

Or go to gene baker guitars web site which is still under construction but has links to other dealers.

http://www.bakerguitars.com/

Or go and see what Ed Roman is doing at his site. By all accounts new Bakers are going to be less and are going to be made by hand and only available from him, which should cut out the middleman and save you money?. I think you will find it unlikely to get one in France but keep an eye out on e-bay as some have come up not so long ago.

http://www.edromanguitars.com/guitar/home_bak.htm
                  Normans Guitars

Comment

I agree that you should look for an original one while there are still some around.

My opinion on the Ed Roman deal is that I don't believe he's a guitar builder.

I feel it's a little unfortunate that the Ernie Ball deal didn't work out, but most really skilled builders value their independence. I know that PRS was courted by Yamaha at one point, but had misgivings about things working out in the long run.

This is the downside of small custom amp and guitar companies - they aren't always around for long!
                    Last edited by Curly; 05-12-2004, 07:35 AM.
                    "music heals"
                    facebook

Comment

I really like your collection C. Caveman! I was wondering how much you're forced to pay and how difficult it is for you to aquire some of those beauties? You must scour the earth, from France, to find those. Any problems with guys that just won't ship to you?
                      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I'd love an Inferno!
                        My Bands -
                        https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                        www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                        www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                        GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                          I really like your collection C. Caveman! I was wondering how much you're forced to pay and how difficult it is for you to aquire some of those beauties? You must scour the earth, from France, to find those. Any problems with guys that just won't ship to you?
                          Thanks Joneser !

In fact, PRS and Gibson are easy to find in France . Even some "boutique" brands like Tyler or Surh are imported. I find most of my gear here and sometimes take opportunity of a business trip to bring an axe.
                          Also my company has some factories and facilities in the USA , so friends of mines sometimes buy and ship some stuff for me .
                          BTW , the Baker quest seams not so easy !

Time will tell !
                          Pickups used :

Comment

I've played 3 bakers in the last 6 mo.s .. my fav. was a trans red dbl cut #267 I think?? I believe it's going up for sale too.. wish I could afford it.

KILLER guitar ... I'm in love with the neck-shape , so solid feeling IMO.

I was less impressed w/ the hollow one I played .. sounded a bit thin and brite to my ears. but constuction was nothing less than top-notch tip 2 tail.

also super impressed w/ the McNaughts I've played
                            "I don't care if you boo .. just boo in key!" JH

Pups ~> duncan ~ WCR ~ VOODOO by Peter Florance!

Guitars ~> Gibson ~ G&L ~ Guild ~ Fender ~ ESP ~ Heritage

Comment

ive played a few of the old ones and they were killer. havent even seen a new one but as much as i dont really like what i know about ed, his quicksilver guitars are very nice so maybe the new bakers will still be close to the old ones

Comment

Working...
                              X