Epiphone 1959 Korina Explorer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphone 1959 Korina Explorer

I'm looking to buy a new electric guitar. I currently own a 2002 Fender MIM Strat that I've played with the pups in and it sounds great, but I think it's time for something new. I'm really looking hard into Epiphone because I like the Epiphone/Gibson models and I only have $647 to spend and I'm gonna need a case as well. I originally planned to buy the Epiphone LP Custom in Alpine White for $599 but I've grown attached to the Explorer body shape. Currently, I am set on the 1958 Korina Explorer for $449. However, Guitar Center doesn't tend to carry Epiphone guitars because "they like to back-order their guitars". That's what the guy at GC told me when I inquired about the Korina Explorer. He said it'd take atleast 3 months to get it in and that he'd need all $450 down. He jokingly said that he could get a Gibson 1958 Korina Flying V in before he could get the Epiphone. There was no way I was giving the guy $450 for a guitar I've never even held before. So, now I've come here in search of any advice I can get. Because I don't have any sort of budget that would allow to afford any Gibson guitar, I plan on buying an Epiphone and just swap the pups out. Which also brings me to another question: If I do go with the Explorer, what pup combo would you recommend? I hear that the Jazz Neck/JB Bridge is a great versatile combo.

For reference, I play Rock, Blues, and Funk. I'd like a very reliable guitar in my price range and I'm not too hot on all alder bodies (that's why Korina intrigues me).
    -2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
    -Epiphone LP Std+ Heritage Cherry Sunburst (Jazz Neck/Custom Bridge both zebra)
    -2002 Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster (stock neck, duncan a2p mid, dimarzio blue velvet bridge)
    -1976 Electra LP Copy (PG+ neck/Demon Bridge)
    -Marshall AVT50
    ---------------------------------------------------
    PUPs:
    Duncan: 59, Custom, JB, PG, PG+, Distortion, Demon, Jazz, Invader, Alnico 2 Pro(sng), Hot Rails, Lil 59, Phat Cat
    Dimarzio: Super Distortion, Blue Velvet

The Epiphone V Is a sweet looking guitar in Korina wood. I never played one so I can't tell you if it's a player or not. All the Epi's
    I've played recently where pretty good. But it's the neck dimentions that's the wild card? I understand what you mean by
    not wanting to order a guitar you never played. It's kinda like a mail order bride. But I've had some luck on ebay buying guitars.
    If the there not alot of guitars stores where you live, Ebay might
    be your best bet. You can atleast ask the seller what kinda of neck does it have chunky ,thin etc. If you do go with the Explorer
    My PuP sugestion is a Pearly gates in the bridge and a APH-II in the neck. Good luck
    http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

For the money you have I would get a Hamer Standard (EXP body) or a used Gibson EXP. I have a 86 Hamer USA that is a much more solid guitar than the Epi offering and I would put it up against the Gibson guitars in terms of quality. They don't hold value which makes them good for snatching up cheap but not as an investment you will make money on. A used Gibby will hold value and will increase as time goes by.

I had a JB in mine, it was just too much in the bridge, harsh, sizzle ect. I have found that my Hamer loves A3 magnets, I put one in a Dimarzio Virtual PAF I had sitting around. and it is perfect. I think a 59 would benefit equally from that magnet. MY Mohagany Exp has plenty of sustain and drive, with the pups being closer to the strings it got too much grind for me so I went the low output route. The A3 is weaker than an A2 and an A5 which gives it a smoother clearer tone ( very important for funk which I play as well) It is brighter than a 2 or a 5 ( I don't think I would like it in a Strat. My A2 59 is perfect) but in a darker guitar it sits perfectly. Korina will be brighter for sure.

Epi's can be very cool or they can be bad, you have the money to get a better guitar, if it were me I would go that route. Remeber this is not a sit and play guitar like a Strat, so it takes some getting used to. But they are beautiful guitars for sure!
      ]
      FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

biu (beatlebui) has an epiphone explorer and he loves his. pm him for more info because he probable wont see this thread.

i didnt know they made a korina version ...damn
        esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
        fender mim standard strat
        peavey classic 30
        johnson j-station
        original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
        dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
        yamaha f-310p acoustic
        taylor 410 acoustic
        "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

A 58 reissue is going to be around $20,000 US...... the originals go for $125,000.

The GC guy was bull****ting you. I've been to guitar centers before that had partial walls of epiphones. When I was checking out a Gibson faded V at one, they guy even tried to get me to look at some epiphone V's.

Comment

I have a 59 epi explorer and i really like it. I have had it for about 4 yrs i do believe. I replaced the bridge pickup with a duncan distortion and it really really sounds great. The lead tone i can get with is just unreal and it seems to really cut through! I left the neck pickup in and i got to where i like the sound of it, all except it's a little bit muddy. I never realized how bassy the neck pickup was untill i got my Jackson USA soloist, It has a 59 in the neck and those two aren't even compareable..........But i like them both! email me if you got anymore questions [email protected]
            good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by theboatcandream
              A 58 reissue is going to be around $20,000 US...... the originals go for $125,000.

The GC guy was bull****ting you. I've been to guitar centers before that had partial walls of epiphones. When I was checking out a Gibson faded V at one, they guy even tried to get me to look at some epiphone V's.
              what are you talking about $20, 000? u talking about a custom shop guitar?

also, this guitar center might have not had any in stock....
              peavey classic 30
              johnson j-station
              yamaha f-310p acoustic
              taylor 410 acoustic
              "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Originally posted by xerxes
                what are you talking about $20, 000? u talking about a custom shop guitar?

also, this guitar center might have not had any in stock....
                No, he means the Gibson ´58 Reissues, built in 83

Todays Vs are 67 reissues and the explorers are ´76 reissues. The Epiphone Vs and Exps "look" more vintage, though
                Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

ooooo, got ya
                  peavey classic 30
                  johnson j-station
                  yamaha f-310p acoustic
                  taylor 410 acoustic

Comment

If you want a 58 Korina V by Epiphone, GoMano has a nice one
                    for way less than you're looking to spend. Check out his V.
                    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Yeah, mine's a really sweet guitar. I like the tone of the Korina, and when people look at it, they think it's made out of gold I swapped the pups out in mine for a Gibson '57 Classic in the neck and a DeArmond Goldtone in bridge for a vintagey sound.

The neck is a bit thinner than your average Les Paul, but just a little. Overall, it's a solid guitar that stays in tune VERY well and comfortably fits your body.
                      Watch My Videos
                      Photography
                      www.myspace.com/thebillyhong
                      "Anything worth living for is worth suffering for."

Comment

I also own a Epiphone 1959 Korina Explorer and couldn't be happier.
                        The shape took a little while to get used to and it's a little neck heavy, but other than that I love it. The stock pickups are kinda crap so I switched the bridge to a SD SH-6 and plan to change the neck into either a Jazz or a '59.
                        The fretboard is extremely smooth, probably one of the smoothest I've ever played, and to be honest, I'm thinking of buying another one!
                        The Epiphone Goth Explorer is pretty nice too, if you're into that kind of style, and the stock pickups are much better than the '59 Korina.

Comment

Originally posted by Closed Eye
                          I also own a Epiphone 1959 Korina Explorer and couldn't be happier.
                          The shape took a little while to get used to and it's a little neck heavy, but other than that I love it. The stock pickups are kinda crap so I switched the bridge to a SD SH-6 and plan to change the neck into either a Jazz or a '59.
                          The fretboard is extremely smooth, probably one of the smoothest I've ever played, and to be honest, I'm thinking of buying another one!
                          The Epiphone Goth Explorer is pretty nice too, if you're into that kind of style, and the stock pickups are much better than the '59 Korina.
                          Yeah, those Gothic Epi's use some sort of '57 Classic Alnico V pup.
                          Watch My Videos
                          Photography
                          www.myspace.com/thebillyhong
                          "Anything worth living for is worth suffering for."

Comment

You can also pick these up for $400 all the time, and they are great guitars.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3711487090&category=41 435

The Korina Epi's look extremely nice. I know GoMano's Epi would be a sweet rig. As for GC not carring them....I don't know what that's all about. My GC has more EPI's than Gibby's. The salesman is probably just trying to upsell you.
                            My Sound Clips

Comment

Thanks for all your help guys. However, I went to a local store here (Portland Music, Co.) and spent about 3 hours playing their Epis. I played a 1958 Explorer and I found it to be quite uncomfortable to sit with, however, the neck was really nice and so was the action. So after deciding against that, I played some LPs. I played a black custom with gold hardware and wow. It was just horrible. The action was terrible among other things and when I brought it to the attention of the guy there, he was ashamed that he had it hanging on his wall. So I moved on to the LP Standards. I played a black LP Std. with zebra pups and it was nice, but I really didn't want another black guitar. So next I played an Epiphone LP Standard Plus. I fell in love. It was heritage cherry sunburst with chrome hardware and a flame maple top. The action was perfect, the neck was just the size I like. Long story short, I went to the bank and used my last $40 to put it in layaway. I'm gonna pick it up on April 3. I can't wait.

Have you guys ever heard of an LP STD+ coming with chrome grovers?

Also, I have a SD Screamin' Demon that is currently in my MIM strat and I was thinking I want to put it in my LP but I really like the nickel covers. Anyone have any tips about getting it potted? Or any reasons why I shouldn't? Thanks a lot.
                              -2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
                              -Epiphone LP Std+ Heritage Cherry Sunburst (Jazz Neck/Custom Bridge both zebra)
                              -2002 Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster (stock neck, duncan a2p mid, dimarzio blue velvet bridge)
                              -1976 Electra LP Copy (PG+ neck/Demon Bridge)
                              -Marshall AVT50
                              ---------------------------------------------------
                              PUPs:
                              Duncan: 59, Custom, JB, PG, PG+, Distortion, Demon, Jazz, Invader, Alnico 2 Pro(sng), Hot Rails, Lil 59, Phat Cat
                              Dimarzio: Super Distortion, Blue Velvet

Comment

Working...
                              X